Please, no one be like me

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
Having moved three hours away from my favorite hunting grounds (the West coast of Florida) I cherish each chance i get to return and today was the day. Got to Venice beach, found a parking spot right near the walkway to the beach and backed in. Took my Sand Shark and my sun spot scoop and thoroughly enjoyed my hunt, a few clad and one childs ring. Back to the car, out of my hunting shoes, dried off, drank a cold water and headed home. One and a half hours into the trip home I realized I had left my Sand Shark and my scoop leaning against a sea grape tree next to the parking lot. I phoned my son and had him make calls to the P.D. and the Beach Patrol on the off chance that someone turned it in. Turned around knowing it was useless and headed back. Pulled into the parking lot three hours after leaving it and there was my detector and scoop still leaning against the tree next to the walkway. Must have been 150 cars in the lot and people walking everywhere. This has to be my luckiest day ever and thank God for all the honest people out there. Believe me when I say I had tears in my eyes when I pulled in and saw it still there. Old age sucks but I guess it's better than the alternative.

Upvote 0

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! Do I know that feeling. I also left my fisher on the ground between cars. The only two there. Not knowing that a family that was curious of what I was doing earlier found it and turned it over too the one and only life guard. Of course I went back that night in hopes. 25 miles. Next day went to the guard tower and sure enough it was the same guard. When he saw me he said, You are one lucky guy. The family turned it in. YOU ONLY DO IT ONCE!. It's a crappie feeling.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you didn,t leave it on the on the back of your car and run over it when you left. It is good to know that there are still some good people out there.

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt say they were all honest,most likely all zombies paying more attention to their cell phones than the world around them.you lucked out big time.

Definitely not the good old days anymore
But there still "some" honest people out there

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
But there still "some" honest people out there

Of course there is but,as the economy grows worse and money becomes tighter and tighter things are going to become a little ify.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Penzfan: Proclaiming America to being the greatest country on the earth does not make it so. It may have been that way at one time, most likely not – it all depends upon who you are/were. Certainly not for the American Indian(s) who were called and treated as savage(s) so their rights could be taken away.

It definitely, is not the same country that I grew up in and served. I felt as you did, before I retired.
I certainly do not feel that way now, and doubt I ever will again.
Having one’s home broken into, office equipment seized while buying groceries as a result of abuse of power by local and Federal Agencies does not make ones heart grow founder.

No warrant was posted, no inventory was provided, and the equipment never returned.
This certainly would not of happened before 911.
If you have not done so already, I highly recommend reading of the World Fact book on the web by none other than the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). I found its guide to country comparisons, including the USA to be accurate, informative, and interesting. Hopefully, you will feel the same way after comparing the rankings – it is not a pretty picture.

Happy it worked out for you. Another reason why America is the greatest country on earth. Wonder if the result would have been the same if hunting in Haiti?

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A happy ending to what could have been a very sad story.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Penzfan: Proclaiming America to being the greatest country on the earth does not make it so. It may have been that way at one time, most likely not – it all depends upon who you are/were. Certainly not for the American Indian(s) who were called and treated as savage(s) so their rights could be taken away.

It definitely, is not the same country that I grew up in and served. I felt as you did, before I retired.
I certainly do not feel that way now, and doubt I ever will again.
Having one’s home broken into, office equipment seized while buying groceries as a result of abuse of power by local and Federal Agencies does not make ones heart grow founder.

No warrant was posted, no inventory was provided, and the equipment never returned.
SGC, We all have our own opinion...hope things get better in your life.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real glad that worked out for you! Also remember, never lay your stuff BEHIND your car.
Always lay it NEXT to the car, that way if there is forgetfulness, you just might, not run over it.
Good luck and HH!

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real glad that worked out for you! Also remember, never lay your stuff BEHIND your car.
Always lay it NEXT to the car, that way if there is forgetfulness, you just might, not run over it.
Good luck and HH!

Good advice! I would add one more point:

Lay any equipment down next to the car ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE.
That way you'll see it when you get into the car to drive away.

I learned this after putting my $200 sand scoop on the wrong side
and leaving it behind. That'll never happen again.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that it is the way that you feel and being proud, rather than opinion.
It is the way that I used to feel about America before I retired and learned otherwise as a result of what happened to me and others:
Veterans not getting the benefits that they are entitled to, Elders being cheated out of their homes., Seniors being denied medical benefits as a result of age, even when carrying full medical insurance, the list goes on and on. I take from your reply, that you are not one of the above.

Thank you for your concern, unfortunately hope is not an option as the resultant damage is beyond repair for myself, those who have relied on me, and my offspring. Because of above injustice, I will be leaving the State of Hawaii and the United States of America and doubt I will return.

Almost forgot, the one good thing that came out of it is that I now have time to treasure hunt and roam the world. Best wishes to all T Net members and to all a good hunt.

SGC, We all have our own opinion...hope things get better in your life.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont worry Sir Gala Clad,quite a few people in here have a very rude awakening coming.I just wish I could see all their faces:laughing9:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops: I repeated myself and removed what I repeated as it is beyond scary!
Change happens when the pain of continuing on as things are becomes to great.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daug:

If you take care of your equipment (clean and secure) before taking care of your self (pop a cool one and relax), you automatically minimize the potential for damage, loss or forgetting it.

Once taking care of your equipment first is ingrained and becomes a habit,
you will feel uncomfortable if you take that cool drink or rest first.
Its just a matter of discipline to prevent casual to bad habits from catching up with us as we age.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread