Please, no one be like me

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
Having moved three hours away from my favorite hunting grounds (the West coast of Florida) I cherish each chance i get to return and today was the day. Got to Venice beach, found a parking spot right near the walkway to the beach and backed in. Took my Sand Shark and my sun spot scoop and thoroughly enjoyed my hunt, a few clad and one childs ring. Back to the car, out of my hunting shoes, dried off, drank a cold water and headed home. One and a half hours into the trip home I realized I had left my Sand Shark and my scoop leaning against a sea grape tree next to the parking lot. I phoned my son and had him make calls to the P.D. and the Beach Patrol on the off chance that someone turned it in. Turned around knowing it was useless and headed back. Pulled into the parking lot three hours after leaving it and there was my detector and scoop still leaning against the tree next to the walkway. Must have been 150 cars in the lot and people walking everywhere. This has to be my luckiest day ever and thank God for all the honest people out there. Believe me when I say I had tears in my eyes when I pulled in and saw it still there. Old age sucks but I guess it's better than the alternative.

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy you were able to find it...my theory: weekday, mid summer, all locals, and the most popular hunting on Venice beach is for sharks teeth....NOT metallic :laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
This has to be my luckiest day ever and thank God for all the honest people out there.

I wouldnt say they were all honest,most likely all zombies paying more attention to their cell phones than the world around them.you lucked out big time.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are still very good people in this world,glad you ran into a beach full of them.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Venice isnt actually a ghetto beach - in fact I always found very up scale
so its like Red James cash said - people probably thought you were around and paid no mind that you abandoned your equipment
I know a few spots in Ct. that it would have been gone as soon as you pulled away - in fact there might have been a fight for it
so count yourself lucky

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps all the people walking by your detector were ML owners.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that must have been a terrible feeling.glad to hear it was waiting for you!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once, after and evening out. I went to get the car in a pour down so I could pull around and pickup the wife. Twenty-years later I finally realized that I had forgotten to pick her up. Never did find out what happened to her? :laughing7:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Happy it worked out for you. Another reason why America is the greatest country on earth. Wonder if the result would have been the same if hunting in Haiti?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad it worked out for you. I know the feeling-

My wife and I dive for sharks teeth there and sail the area often.

Despite what some would have everyone else believe, there are still some very good people here.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad it worked out for you. I have read too many stories of detectors left behind, so mine does not leave my arm until I am setting it down in the trunk, and that is the very first thing I do when I get to the car

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey a whole parking lot of honest people - amazing! Good story and glad how it ended.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very happy for you! You must have thought that ride back to the beach was the longest ride in your life! That is amazing that it was still there. I am happy knowing that some people are actually honest!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Despite what some would have everyone else believe, there are still some very good people here.

I still believe the vast majority of folks are honest. The problem is we only hear about the dishonest ones.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too late, iv'e done things like that before!!!!!

chuck.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thing you checked the hole twice! Some folks would have just driven home!
Great story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread