davidmunz

Greenie
Jul 10, 2014
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/ White's TRX & Tesoro Sand Shark w/ RTG SS Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I was looking for some advice on getting a scoop from RTG (#RTG33-SS), I was thinking of getting the one below because I am going to be sticking to dry sand due to my F2. But because the shape doesn't really have the curve in between the bucket and the handle like a "pull-to-me" style can it be pushed in with the foot due to it being stainless steel?

RTG.png

Eventually I will be getting a PI machine to use in the water but that's a ways away. Should I just go ahead and get this SS water scoop (#R790) and use it in the dry sand for now or just save some sifting time and stick with the one above?

7-24-2014 9-44-30 AM.png

Upvote 0

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For dry sand, if you don't want a big scoop, this one works pretty well:
Metal Detecting Stuff: RTG Kick It Aluminum Sand Scoop

I have a full size scoop and use it both in the water and the dry sand. I drag it behind me on the beach, and it leaves a trail so I know where I have been. I like an aluminum one with the stainless tip for this type of hunting, it's not too heavy:
Metal Detecting Stuff: Travel Scoop SS Tip

For a stainless scoop, I like either the Stealth or T Rex scoops because they are lighter weight, these are all listed on our site:

Metal Detecting Stuff: Beach Scoops

Wayne

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Eventually I will be getting a PI machine to use in the water but that's a ways away. Should I just go ahead and get this SS water scoop (#R790) and use it in the dry sand for now or just save some sifting time and stick with the one above?

View attachment 1027553

That's the one I have. Bulletproof. You can stand on it (I weigh 220 lbs) in hard packed wet sand.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went cheaper and started out with wire mesh ones like that - NO - they wont take weight of deep dig push
crushed a couple of them before I went for beach Brute - then got RTG travel model with large basket
you will get target with larger basket on first try more than that tiny basket
If you just play around - go small - go cheap
if youre gonna be dedicated to the hobby - do it right - get a scoop you can use in any situation - travel being one of them
get the RTG - large basket - travel model (the travel model breaks down and will fit in a suit case)
62838b.jpg

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have both of those scoops. The open mesh makes sand sifting easier, but I hate the pull to me design and its hard to get much leverage in heavy wet sand. The second scoop is the one I use the most, in and out of the water. It's heavier, but not by much and you can kick it with your foot to dig.

I hated the orange ribbed handles on both scoop, since the ribs caused almost immediate blisters. Replaced them both with heavily padded bicycle handles.

OP
OP
D

davidmunz

Greenie
Jul 10, 2014
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 w/ White's TRX & Tesoro Sand Shark w/ RTG SS Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input you guys. Ima go ahead and get the second scoop, seeing as how I am going to be wanting more use out of a scoop and being able to kick it in the sand seems so much more efficient. Thanks again.

chroniefind

Sep 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have both of those scoops. The open mesh makes sand sifting easier, but I hate the pull to me design and its hard to get much leverage in heavy wet sand. The second scoop is the one I use the most, in and out of the water. It's heavier, but not by much and you can kick it with your foot to dig.

I hated the orange ribbed handles on both scoop, since the ribs caused almost immediate blisters. Replaced them both with heavily padded bicycle handles.

Would building your own wire mesh scoop be an option for any of you guys?

I have done so with stainless steel wire mesh - I believe I used the 16 x 16 mesh per inch size ( Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ ) and everything worked out pretty well.

Obviously - if you are going to jab it into rocks and such, it is going to get crushed. Know your surroundings and what you are plunging into - soft sand calls for something completely different than jagged stones....

kezhk

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't waste your time with the first scoop. Just get the RTG scoop. I have both of these and the first one more is weak and easily bends.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input you guys. Ima go ahead and get the second scoop, seeing as how I am going to be wanting more use out of a scoop and being able to kick it in the sand seems so much more efficient. Thanks again.
You made the right choice...I don't sift the sand, I dump it out and scan the hole. When the targets out, just move the sand back and forth with your foot to find the target. Its faster and easier than sifting.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the second scoop as well! Great S.S. Scoop! I also have the Stavr scoop and a Stealth 720i scoop with a carbon fiber handle!
After using those three, hands down the clear winner for me is :wav::wav:
The Stealth!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Stealth 720 and I use it in the water. On the wet sand I use my RTG 6 inch aluminum because its lighter and easier to handle than the 720. In the water I can recover the target much faster with the 720 because of its big bucket and the way it cuts into the bottom.

kezhk

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
uploadfromtaptalk1408169105932.jpg

Side by side.
Nb the wire one all bent up

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have then RTG700 Beachmaster, that I had powder coated. The back strap lets me push it into wet sand without crushing the wire.

Attachments

• image-2541953245.jpg
    image-2541953245.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 100

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread