New digger with questions

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi... I'm new to MD. I rented an Ace 150 & F2 while on vacation and enjoyed myself. I liked the F2 over the Ace but found the Ace easier to use. Found 1.81 in coins and a bottle opener from Denali National Park, AK. How it got on the beach in Nj, I'll never know. And a ton of pull tabs and cans. That kinda set the bug. So I picked up a used Ace 250 from CL along with 2 coils (6.5x9 Pro and 8x11 Pro) and pointer (CenTech). I plan on hunting dry and wet sand.

Questions:
1. Which coil would do best in the sand? Dry? Wet?

2. What would be the best settings for the A250? Dry? Wet?

I'll be picking up a Beachmaster sand scoop for the weekend.
3. Is there anything else I might need?

Thanks in advance
Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
149k.gif

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Just go to the bank and take out a loan. Then buy one of the each of the best of whatever you want.

It will save you from the headache's of going through all the lessor detectors and scoops before finally getting what you want.

Just succumb to the sickness and go all in...

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? Good luck and take out a loan?

Thanks for the help

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What he is sayin why get the zebco when you should go for the shimano. Same rules apply. sponge using smoke signals.
Because the fish doesn't give a rat's ass what reel or rod you are using!

Just close the thread and remove me as a member here. The snobbery toward a newbie is astounding.

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO

Just close the thread and remove me as a member here. The snobbery toward a newbie is astounding.

Auriemma you look it as snobbery how about looking in past posts the questions you asked have been answered over and over to the point I am amazed that anyone answers at all.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auriemma, the Ace 250 will work better in the dry sand. In the wet sand, the salt mineralization will make your detector "chatter" a lot due to the mineralization of the soil and the fixed ground balance of the detector. You can turn the sensitivity down a little to try and reduce this mineralization, but your depth will suffer. All you need is a beach scoop, and you can run that detector in jewelry mode and dig all targets that beep. You will find a lot more targets and trash in the dry, better targets are generally in the water. Your detector is not designed for salt water use and may "false" when you are running the coil in salt water.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida

Until the record keeper fish you lost strips all the composite gears in your reel. Then who gives a ratsass.

sponge using smoke signals.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for the help

Your life must be tough when you are unable to recognize a little tongue in cheek humor...

Anybody that has done this for a while eventually upgrades, then upgrades again, and finally ends up with a couple of detectors collecting dust in the corner. I was just using a little humor in saying to skip all the pain in the middle and just buy a great machine to start.

Perhaps you have too much starch in your boxers...

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until the record keeper fish you lost strips all the composite gears in your reel. Then who gives a ratsass. sponge using smoke signals.
sponge... nah... I fly fish. No gears to speak of. Now there is a hobby you need a loan to play in. 12 rods, 15 reels, more lines and flies than I know what to do with. And if that keeper did break my reel, I would grab the line and hand pull it in... I do that most of the time in fly any way.

Sorry. A sense of humor is a requirement in all things. I was wound a bit tight this morning and missed it. And I do understand the "Oh no, not THAT question again" feeling.

I usually dive in head first into new hobbies... My wife begged me to start slow. So the Ace 250 with 2 coils and pin pointer was $150. The scoop and head phones will be another $120. Upgrades will happen... If it sticks. GAS is inevitable. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Thanks for the info. I know from my searches that wet sand can be a nightmare with lower end machines, no GB. Dry sand will be the primary search area, but I wanted to try the wet just to test my what I've read and my frustration level. Believe me, my 2nd option was a Whites Surf PI. I still might get it.

We will see what the morning holds...

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Thats one reason I didnt get into fly fishin. My buddy got a bonefish with a fly in my freakin boat. I didnt realize what an accomplished catch that was utill later. As far as a good PI machine I recommend a sand shark. There are alot of experts on this forum that have helped me out alot. Good luck and may the morning bring u gold.

sponge using smoke signals.

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
Your ace 250 will do fine in the dry sand. As others have said you will find more trash in the dry then the wet, but I have made some great finds with my at pro in the dry. About a month ago I upgraded to a sand shark for the wet and haven't found much except bobby pins and one stainless steel ring. All my gold has been in the dry sand. Keep with it and you will be amazed at the things you come across. Good luck and happy hunting.

P.s. Stick around on the forum and you will see just how many times those questions are asked and answered. You will also see just how much sarcastic humor is here, lol.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what in the hell ya'll are talkin about with the sand and salt water stuff but it would probably kill my fisher!

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the help
I WISH A LOT OF THE NEW MEMBERS HERE LUCK - DONT LIKE IT - GO SOMEPLACE ELSE

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WISH A LOT OF THE NEW MEMBERS HERE LUCK - DONT LIKE IT - GO SOMEPLACE ELSE
As stated...it took your wish of luck as "good luck using that POS". Again. My bad. I accept your kind wish as it was intended. Thanks.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TN! I'm glad you gave us a chance to show that we can be cool and I hope your stay will be a good experience! I have discovered great people here that helped me along, as well as others!
Best of Luck! Be sure to shows what you find! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread