Day 1 with my 250

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I got my beach master scoop and headphones this morning and went for a walk on the beach with my 250. And here is my finds... A pile of bottle caps, a buckle, tent stake, zipper pull, bikini button, large washer and 81 cents in coins. That was a fun 3 hour walk. And I find it funny that all the caps are beer caps... No alcohol is allowed on the beach.

Attachments

• image-2874834124.jpg
    image-2874834124.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well... I got my beach master scoop and headphones this morning and went for a walk on the beach with my 250. And here is my finds... A pile of bottle caps, a buckle, tent stake, zipper pull, bikini button, large washer and 81 cents in coins. That was a fun 3 hour walk. And I find it funny that all the caps are beer caps... No alcohol is allowed on the beach.

If this is the Jersey shore get use to it. They can be 10 feet from a trash can and bury their bottles, foil, and trash.

But the bling is there just don't give up or get discouraged.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks identical to my last hunt! Right down to the tent stake! I had to laugh at penzfan's pic! It looked like mine!:laughing7:
Glad you got out with your new machine! Best of Luck!

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hunting this morning... Pooring rain. :( I will try again next weekend.

If this is the Jersey shore get use to it. They can be 10 feet from a trash can and bury their bottles, foil, and trash.
But the bling is there just don't give up or get discouraged.
You gotta love it when people bury their trash instead of tossing it. Where is the sense in that? Foil is the most frustrating. The smallest piece is so hard to see but you MD knows it's there.

This might interest you.
If you go back a couple days you will find the author purchased an used a 250 while on a trip out of state... He did several tests with different size gold rings... It might make you think twice about using jewelry mode. The Treasure Beaches Report brought to you from Florida's Treasure Coast.
Thanks. Interesting read. But still, is it because of the notching pattern or some internal program change that causes it? I can duplicate either notching pattern in Custom. But does that mean I will get the same results as the mode I copied, or is there something else internal? It makes a PI machine seem so much simpler.... Beep, start digging.

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
That's more than I find on most days, Auriemma

I wish you the best in your detecting adventures :headbang:

Lorraine

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad finding 81 cents on a first hunt with any detector, especially in only three hours.
A lot can be deterined by carefully looking at the finds:
From the large amount of finds with iron: (bottle caps, washer, and broken strap) it looks like your are hunting in all metal mode.

From the corroded condition of the coins and bottle caps, it looks like that this area is not being heavily detected.

Other than finding a wider variety of bottle caps than where I hunt, I find it odd that no pull tabs were found. This indicates that you may be also be hunting in coin mode with too much discrimination.
If you discriminate out pull tabs, you most likely will only find gold jewelry that has been alloyed with copper or silver (high conductors).

With the ACE 250 the jewelry mode when hunting dry sand gives you an advantage over a PI detector
as you are saving time by not having to dig everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are others I see going through the same area. Just not this weekend. I did have lower pull tabs notched with no iron and I still got caps. I also ran it on Jewelry mode often. Didn't seem to make much of a difference. Often I'll run it custom with 2-3 left side notched. Then dig everything that gives a return that I can pin point.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Well, no golden tent stakes on South Beach today. However, I believe they drank some beer near the beach last night...

7-27-2014 a.m. @ South Beach.JPG

7-27-2014 a.m. @ South Beach2.JPG

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not notch the pull tabs, Gold will sound off in that range.

Precisely. The better gold normally lands either side of nickel, all the way to screw cap range. You'd be surprised how much if it conducts in the foil range.
Hunt in Relic, and if you simply must eliminate something, make it the last notch to the right.
Then live with the the trash. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad day, some of those pieces have been in the sand awhile, maybe not heavily hunted. What was your setting on the 250? I beach hunt a lot with mine and have found that a custom setting, one notch below nickle will help. I find every kind of coins, rings, ear rings etc. Damp sand is ok with a sensitivity setting that shows 3 bars "off". Hope this helps, it is just a matter of time until you hit the big one!

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad day, some of those pieces have been in the sand awhile, maybe not heavily hunted. What was your setting on the 250? I beach hunt a lot with mine and have found that a custom setting, one notch below nickle will help. I find every kind of coins, rings, ear rings etc. Damp sand is ok with a sensitivity setting that shows 3 bars "off". Hope this helps, it is just a matter of time until you hit the big one!
i was set 3 left of nickel notched out. 6 bars sensitivity. Wet sand I was down to 3 bars sensitivity. But PP would max out if the coil touched the sand. Made it tough to check in the holes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread