Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been there two times. The water is super clear and calm and you can walk out for miles in only chest deep water. It is only 4-6ft deep at a mile off shore. I would say walk around the beach areas in the water where swimmers would be.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love going there. Don't expect any waves at all. Which is good for water detecting. GOOD restaurants for great seafood also. Quaint little tourist town and peaceful. Good Luck

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to be working in Cedar Key this week and have a small window to beach hunt. Anything I should know as far as permission to hunt the beaches, places to go, etc.?

Too bad you have only a small window...

Just south of the village of Cedar Key is an island known as Atsena Otie Key. It is about 1/2 mile from the boat ramp on Cedar Key to Atsena Otie...an easy kayak paddle.

During the Civil War this island was called Depot Key. There was a railhead on the island back then and it was a popular destination for blockade runners.

There was a sharp little engagement here in early 1862, culminating in the capture of Depot Key by the Federals and the subsequent burning and/ or sinking of 7 blockade runners in the little harbor on the north west end of Depot Key.

I have never detected here, but it is a little spot I wouldn't mind checking out, as it would seem like the possibility of finding some shipwreck relics would be fairly high...if everything is not buried under 10 feet of sediment...which is entirely possible.

Anyway, Atsena Otie is owned by the Suwanee Water Management District and is administered as part of the Cedar Keys NWR...technically, I don't think detecting below the MHW mark would be illegal...but I can't guarantee that in practice. I do know that metal detecting in the "official" part of the Cedar Keys NWR is illegal.

The submerged lands surrounding Atsena Otie are not part of the Cedar Keys NWR...but that doesn't mean you would not be harassed by local authorities.

Good luck if you give it a shot.

Here is an old chart showing the location of the old docks on Atsena Otie as well as some information from NORTH FLORIDA SITES :

depot key.png

cedar keys.png

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I live near there & detect it some, but never have much luck . The outer islands are OFF LIMITS to detecting , etc. ,,, etc. You can detect the little man-made park & beach, but it is re-sanded pretty often. If water detecting, keep your coil on the bottom in front of you to run the Stingrays off. Stop at " Annie's " going into town for a Grouper sandwich.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks to all for the help. I will be working there on Tuesday and will be detecting the public beach tomorrow afternoon and early evening. Wouldn't mind finding enough that i can just move there. :o)

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks to all for the help. I will be working there on Tuesday and will be detecting the public beach tomorrow afternoon and early evening. Wouldn't mind finding enough that i can just move there. :o)

Good luck, but I doubt that will happen. I love Cedar Key .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread