Sand Shark headphone question

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to address the ambient noise issue. I was in the surf yesterday and between the surf and gusty breeze I couldn't even hear the threshold half of the time. So, I need to address this issue and I'm looking for ideas beyond simply upgrading the headphones to a better setup. Anyone got any possible solutions that will help to address this ambient noise issue?

Upvote 0

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a SS, but if I did, here is what I would do:

I'd make a pattern that would completely cover the outside shell of the earcups. As I custom knifemaker, I've used plain file folders for this sort of thing for years with great success. Just keep trying until you get it right, and it will fold over and the edges all meet together and form a decent-looking cover.

Then use the pattern on some 2mm neoprene wetsuit material. Cut them out and glue onto the outside of the earcups using good contact cement.

Once the cement has dried, mask off an spray the cups with several coats of Rustoleum spray bedliner. One can should do it. I've used spray bedliner for a lot of different stuff, from gunstocks to knifehandles, and its quite durable.

I would also apply a loose foam liner to the insides of the cup. In fact, you could probably get a pair of cheapo earphones from Harbor Freight and just pull out the liners.

Maybe this'll work? :dontknow:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a SS, but if I did, here is what I would do:

I'd make a pattern that would completely cover the outside shell of the earcups. As I custom knifemaker, I've used plain file folders for this sort of thing for years with great success. Just keep trying until you get it right, and it will fold over and the edges all meet together and form a decent-looking cover.

Then use the pattern on some 2mm neoprene wetsuit material. Cut them out and glue onto the outside of the earcups using good contact cement.

Once the cement has dried, mask off an spray the cups with several coats of Rustoleum spray bedliner. One can should do it. I've used spray bedliner for a lot of different stuff, from gunstocks to knifehandles, and its quite durable.

I would also apply a loose foam liner to the insides of the cup. In fact, you could probably get a pair of cheapo earphones from Harbor Freight and just pull out the liners.

Maybe this'll work? :dontknow:

Tesoro said, "Absolutely no mods without sure risk of warranty loss." And the "cheap" plastic ear cups are sealed and can't be taken apart without destroying them, otherwise I would have already insulated them. But all is not lost just yet....:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread