Spring Hill, Florida
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only difference is a lot more beach to hunt on low tide, especially on the Atlantic side... High tide is what makes the wet sand profitable. ..

Good to see you posting mumszie...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like the spaciousness of low tide flats; I get a sense of claustrophobia at high tide.

Lorraine

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Mumszie!! So glad to see you are getting out! I hope all is well with you? I don't live close to the beach, but it seems to me like hunting the areas where people sit or lay on their towels would be the best place to hunt. Although your guess is as good as mine, probably better. HH!

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Hey Mamabear.... This last couple of years has been very hard on my hunting and just last night one of my grandsons had a pretty bad accident when he hit a deer on his ATV. Of course he was NOT wearing a helmet. After all nothing ever happens - right? WRONG. Hopefully I will be able to get back out and start hunting the larger more populated beaches fairly soon. I am chomping at the bit! LOL

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my own humble opinion..... I see so many times where people only hunt when the tide is low. People swim ALL the time so what is the difference of hunting low or high tide? Sure you can't get as far out when the tide is in but so what? You can still find things. **sigh* :icon_scratch:

From a story I wrote for Lost Treasure Magazine in 2010:

>> For tips on hunting the surf and wet sand I consulted with Rusty Henry. Rusty is a retired Navy "frogman," and an original Seal Team 2 member. He is a living metal detecting legend, and has been the Service Manager at Tesoro Electronics for 20-years. Rusty says rings and jewelry are lost in the water during both High, and Low tides. You can get to these treasures much more quickly during Low tide however. "At Low tide, get into knee- to thigh- deep water to get to the jewelry that was lost at High tide by people swimming, frolicking, throwing Frisbees, footballs and such," says Rusty.

"Look for streaks of Black sand on the beach at the waterline. These are always an indicator of where other heavy things like coins and jewelry will be deposited. Many beaches will only have Black sand streaks after a storm, or unusually heavy wave action. Storms uncover things that have been out of reach for many years as the sand gets ripped away. You have to act fast however during low tides, as a couple tide changes can start covering it all up again." Rusty says after a violent storm, look for hard clay patches that are showing and, "detect the small depressions that look like miniature potholes." <<

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
We don't get very large areas of wet sand on a low tide like you guys on the east coast but it still does give us more area to hunt. sometimes the high tide can be great if you are hitting an area where the sand is eroding. I usually prefer low tide.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the low tide period +/- tides, I can have almost no beach to hunt at high tide other then a narrow strip of dry sand full of parked cars. True, the "typical wet sand area" is covered with water at high tide but on my area of the cost this water is flowing pretty strong which creates "a lot" of drag on the coil as well as the scoop, very difficult, if not impossible to hunt a great deal of the time. And this still isn't the main play area, that being further out near that first row of breakers, and beyond. Low tide delivers less surf and current and it lets me access these more productive "adult" play areas.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on the low tide period +/- tides, I can have almost no beach to hunt at high tide other then a narrow strip of dry sand full of parked cars. True, the "typical wet sand area" is covered with water at high tide but on my area of the cost this water is flowing pretty strong which creates "a lot" of drag on the coil as well as the scoop, very difficult, if not impossible to hunt a great deal of the time. And this still isn't the main play area, that being further out near that first row of breakers, and beyond. Low tide delivers less surf and current and it lets me access these more productive "adult" play areas.

You're not kidding about the current. Is the current's end where everything ends up??

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not kidding about the current. Is the current's end where everything ends up??

Just depends on the item, strength of the current, and the bottom conditions. When it's really sandy, like it is now, even the lightest of items can get pushed & sucked under before they get flushed away. Typically, the denser items are going to stay put, they just keep re-settling as the sand around them gets washed away. Waves can be a different story because if they have enough force behind them they can shove a lot of sand all at once, moving everything in that effected sand. The next time you're around that strong back-flush just above the breakers drop a penny and then see if you can find it. With the sand being as soft as it is right now, nine times out of ten that penny will just get sucked under the sand where it lands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread