-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally I have something to write about here :icon_thumleft:

I mainly go onshore and what I find up here in Norway will most likely not interest you, but today I took out the Sand Shark to some virgin ground, a lake right beside residential area. The beaches we have here on the west coast is pitifully small, and rocky, you guys from Florida would laugh your pants of if you saw them. This is one of the larger ones;
vollane.jpg

As you can see not much to work with, even though there is a bit more sand on the left. The good thing about the place I was today was that there is a long sandshore, so the conditions are good in the water, both for vacationers and metalldetectors :tongue3:

Another challenge is that people here wear less jewelery then you see in the states, and that things like class rings dont exist, so the possibilites are a bit slimmer.

So what did I find? I got in just 2 hours, then the shaft of my digger broke. One wedding band, unfortunately just 8k, 2,45 grams, and a 14k trinity ring, 2,8 grams. Also some clad (equalling $6) and a silver earing.

I am a happy camper tonight! :hello2:

2 gull.JPG

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Two gold and a little silver, NICE!

Thanks for sharing and HH ALL.

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take that hunt any day way to go

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Two beauties!:hello2:

Good for you!

Lorraine

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They make 8k? You sure the 1 isn't missing and it's actually 18k? Never seen 8k wedding bands....ok I just educated myself and see there is 8k gold....just wondering why lol??

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rings are the best!

OP
OP
T

-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the kind words :thumbsup:

They make 8k? You sure the 1 isn't missing and it's actually 18k? Never seen 8k wedding bands....ok I just educated myself and see there is 8k gold....just wondering why lol??

You and me both, hehe. But after looking into it I guess there is a valid reason for it. It looks like 8K (33% gold) is just for Germany and Scandinavia. Scandinavia in particular used to be a very poor region and in the 18 hundreds relative poor people used to get gold plated copper rings when they got married (have found a couple of them). This 8K, which became a standard in Germany in 1884, is probably an answer to this. This way also relativitely poor people could get gold rings. I looks like this is an old ring. No modern hallmarks, just an old makers mark, and a P333 hallmark (8K). It has also been cut and probably made smaller at one time.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'll bet the water is quite cold there, and cold water makes your fingers shrink. So, even though people wear less jewelry, they probably loose it in the water more often than in FL. Nice 2 hour hunt. It might be worth hitting another beach some time soon..... Happy Hunting. Beach Papa

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the kind words :thumbsup: You and me both, hehe. But after looking into it I guess there is a valid reason for it. It looks like 8K (33% gold) is just for Germany and Scandinavia. Scandinavia in particular used to be a very poor region and in the 18 hundreds relative poor people used to get gold plated copper rings when they got married (have found a couple of them). This 8K, which became a standard in Germany in 1884, is probably an answer to this. This way also relativitely poor people could get gold rings. I looks like this is an old ring. No modern hallmarks, just an old makers mark, and a P333 hallmark (8K). It has also been cut and probably made smaller at one time.

Thanks for the education. I wish you many more 8k or higher finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread