Excalibur 1000 verses Excalibur II 1000

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur 1000 verses Excalibur II 1000 which is the better factory stock detector for beach hunting (shallow water, wet sand, dry sand) and why".

Excalibur 1000 verses Excalibur II 1000 which is the better model detector to modify and why?

Do the most popular modifications:add waterproof connectors to support different head phones, add water proof connectors to support different coils sizes, add remote pin point switch, take away some of the advantages of one model over another?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in disc when I hit the first big earring, just a chirp but repeatable. I did a bit of a circle around that hole and got a narrow null, switched to PP and got a little/tight repeatable tick, took off some sand and started getting chirps in disc, sure enough the second earring. About 6-8 feet below this I hit the chain in disc, very faint but only in one direction and not all the time. PP had a hard time with it as well but always a repeatable response of some type, i.e., little tick, a threshold break, all very weak responses and I have the volume cranked up pretty good. The chain is stainless, which also explains some of the issue. :thumbsup:

"Six to eight feet below this" - Now that's what I call deep.
I have detected oversize targets, such as beer and soda cans on end at three feet many times.
Hate to think about how many Rolexes, I have missed (lol) as I give up after five scoops, unless I know that
there are large valuable objects, such as bars of silver or a gold slug, where I am searching.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Six to eight feet below this" - Now that's what I call deep.
I have detected oversize targets, such as beer and soda cans on end at three feet many times.
Hate to think about how many Rolexes, I have missed (lol) as I give up after five scoops, unless I know that
there are large valuable objects, such as bars of silver or a gold slug, where I am searching.

:laughing7:....."below" = lower on the beach, not depth.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having detected and retrieved aluminum cans at approx 3 feet with stock Excalibur ll 1000 and a pioneer 505 vlf detector, both in discrimination mode, I suspect that it may be possible to detect that deep on large oversize targets digging the iffiest of signals, as detector's responses is calibrated against a standard size target such as a US quarter. Included below is a post on a disputed find of Silver Bar treasure in Mexico at six feet with a CTX 3030, a more sensitive and selective detector than the Excalibur with advanced discrimination capabilities. Please note: When it comes to diving and shallow water hunting, I prefer and use the more rugged knob and switch detector any day!

"Is Minelab’s CTX-3030 Mexico Cache of Silver Bars a Hoax?"
A testimonial titled “Minelab CTX 3030 unearths major treasure in Mexico” posted on Minelab’s official website and in there March 2014 newsletter, reports of a very large cache of silver bars reportedly worth over $100,000. (Thats with Silver @$21ozt. at the time of reporting, so that’s comes to about 4,700ozt or 325lb of silver!) It reportedly was found by there new flagship detector, The Minelab CTX-3030. The story as it was told, while very light on information is still a wonderful one and is the type of find every treasure hunter hopes to have one day. But to be honest the entire thing comes off as a little sketchy. First off the silver was supposedly found at…wow 6 FEET DEEP! This was not a 2-Box detector or even a Pulse Induction machine it was just the CTX 3030 a full band spectrum detector. Do you really think a non specialized detector even one as good as this top dog from Minelab will hit a target that deep? Even with a 4ft coil I doubt the CTX will pick up a truck in an air test at that range.

Secondly the lack of information on the find smells fishy, there have been no other reports on the internet of this find other then by Minelab and what was re-posted from Minelabs original story (if you know some independent corroboration of this story please post below)The lack of any information or “glory seeking” by the finder could be put down to not wanting to deal the legality of the find, or with the treasure laws of Mexico however if that were the case, then why contact Minelab at all? Unless you did it anomalously, and if that is case I hope Minelab would not post such an article with no supporting information.

My last issue with there story is the picture of the “cache”, now the sliver does look like it could be 4,700ozts if each of the bars are in the100ozt range, but what really has me concerned the CTX in the picture.. Now we all know that no matter how well we take care of out detectors they just don’t stay clean and pretty even on a nice day in a park or playground they get dirty and grimy real fast, but the detector in the picture looks right out of the box and showroom fresh definitely not like it has been working in the hot Mexico desert, down in a 6 ft deep hole. Now I love Minelab and I am not bashing the CTX I think its a great Detector, but this report does not come off as sounding true, and I am not going to come out and say that Minlab just planted this story or published something they knew to be false just to increase sales. If this does turn out to not be the real deal,then I am just going to hope that that Minelab was duped by a hoaxer and let something slip threw there editorial process that shouldn’t have, and there was nothing nefarious a foot. Then again…. on the flip side this may all be true, and what a wonderful find it was, if so I hope that lucky treasure hunter all the best, as they sit on some southern Mexico beach sipping Margaritas and watching with a smile as some tourist with a sun burn and sand scoop is pulling clad and bottle caps out of the beach

with
:laughing7:....."below" = lower on the beach, not depth.

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How did you know we might be planning a trip to Mexico? You got a crystal ball? :laughing7:
image-1429811118.jpg image-224699500.jpg
Wow Bigscoop, things are looking good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-3722814498.jpg
    image-3722814498.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close: I use a 10 inch diameter glass ball most likely from the Bering Sea which drifted ashore. It is kinda hard to see with it as it is still enclosed in the net it had when it broke free.
How did you know we might be planning a trip to Mexico? You got a crystal ball? :laughing7:

Last edited:

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What ever became of Diablo scoops I have seen pics and you tube videos but are they for sale anyway? I know you don't make them but you have one so I thought I'd ask you.

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious which IP68 rated toggle switches or on/off push buttons you guys use for the remote pinpoint mods. Also why one over another?

Thanks,
Joe

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the switch better just because that was what I had and got used to. OBN or LIT can supply you with that info. I bought the headphones and remote PP already installed in new endcap ready to go. All you have to do is solder a plug inside the control and reassemble. Upgrading the headphones was worth the money alone!

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch,

I've spoken with OBN and he is tied up with detecting and regular life activities at the moment. I was going to get the kit from him, but respecting the digging season I'm opting to do the mod myself as time allows. I've already decided to do the peltor headphone mod first thing and the pinpoint mod seemed easy enough. I'm just trying to figure out if I should go with the toggle switch or if I should go with a push button. It seems that most people go with the toggle switch and I was thinking if I could cut the bike handle down a bit I could use a push button. Wondering if anyone has had success with the push button as a few forums the write ups I've come across mentioned rocker switches crapping out and push buttons not being as water resistent.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have rocker switches on both of mine, and they are working, if the rocker switch did crap out it can be easily be replaced with out having to do mod over, pop rw out but new one in and silicone the rubber skirt.

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a specific model of Toggle switch you would recommend? I know it has to be IP68 Rated, but there are tons of IP68 switches out there. It would be nice to find one that is round and would drop right into the bike handle... Also what gauge wire would you run from the switcht to the posts on the potentiometer or two pin connector?

Thanks,
Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is rocker switch on mine...

34396122880120e2f72fe7652c1eebbc.jpg

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Treasure Hunter! That's exactly what I'm wanting to do rather than having a toggle switch that could break off. Do you have a part number? Also what did you use as far as power cord from the switch to the circuit board? Just trying to prep my to buy list so I can do this when I get home and get my hands on the excal that's waiting for me...

Thanks,
Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Treasure Hunter! That's exactly what I'm wanting to do rather than having a toggle switch that could break off. Do you have a part number? Also what did you use as far as power cord from the switch to the circuit board? Just trying to prep my to buy list so I can do this when I get home and get my hands on the excal that's waiting for me...

Thanks,
Joe
Mine was done by Barry at Kellyco repair center, I will have to get info from them for you.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
CW Industries GTB-2B12 IP68

http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...e=us&keywords=CW202-ND&formaction=on&x=6&y=19

KCA2ANA1BBB IP56

KCA2ANA1BBB CHERRY | Mouser

cable...super flexible

McMaster-Carr

As far as success on switchs, there are some really nice ones out there if you want to spend 50 dollars...but I think out of the few hundred I have done maybe 5 have went bad..and I think I have repair maybe 3 of barry's this past winter, so no matter which you use some times they just crap out...

You figure I am retired but seems like I have less time now...hunting sure sucks up the time but I can't get enough...Be safe buddy

Last edited:

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info OBN, how'd you make out today? Hope you raided Davey Jones locker like a banshee souped up on Mountain Dew!!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info OBN, how'd you make out today? Hope you raided Davey Jones locker like a banshee souped up on Mountain Dew!!!

Another blessed day my friend

OBN0435.jpg three yellows, that PP mode Rocks....

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Way to go OBN! Retirement has been good for you so far! Glad you are digging the gold up regular...Stuart

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good OBN...... Davespen said to tell you hello too.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread