Excalibur 1000 verses Excalibur II 1000

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur 1000 verses Excalibur II 1000 which is the better factory stock detector for beach hunting (shallow water, wet sand, dry sand) and why".

Excalibur 1000 verses Excalibur II 1000 which is the better model detector to modify and why?

Do the most popular modifications:add waterproof connectors to support different head phones, add water proof connectors to support different coils sizes, add remote pin point switch, take away some of the advantages of one model over another?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No replies - indicates little interest/no one knows/ no one cares (Oh My)!
Or it could be that this a carefully protected secret which is not shared by hardcore hunters and those who modify Excaliburs?

To start off with: Here is what I have been able to determine about the Excalibur 1000 frequently referred to as Blue/Old Blue (something like that)
It is supposed to have better tones on discriminating targets making it easier to determine what the target is.
The treshold is less stable
There appears to be a greater difference in depth when detecting in all metal/pin point or Discrimination.

I suspect that the improved tonal range is a result of the headsets, if this is true - this advantage may disappear when different head sets are used. Also, there may be more wear on the poteniometers and switches.

The down side to modifying the Xcal 1000 verses the newer Xcal II 1000 is that more or all of the O rings may need to be replaced as they detiorate over time.
More or all cables may need to be replaced as they deteriorate over time: Ozone, Salt water, crack/get cut, fatique.
It is more likely that the batteries may need to be replaced as batteries deteriorate over time.

I will comment on what I was able to determine about the Xcal II 1000, which I have experience using in a later reply, if there is interest

It may be that the Xcal 1000 were more often modified as it cost less to buy a used one.
However, this may no longer be the situation, as they are in high demand and the supply is less.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 2 Blue excals both have the custom reverse discrimination pinpoint mod, 15 inch coils and Amphibian headphones hardwired to controls.

Have under $950 in each. O-rings changed when mods were done. No problem getting all my money back on either if I wanted to sell and both pull targets at 20+ inches...

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20+???? What are they Garbage Can Lids LOL. Or are you hunting with a 20" Coil?

I own 2 Blue excals both have the custom reverse discrimination pinpoint mod, 15 inch coils and Amphibian headphones hardwired to controls.

Have under $950 in each. O-rings changed when mods were done. No problem getting all my money back on either if I wanted to sell and both pull targets at 20+ inches...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both an excal2 and a OBN pirated Excal 1000. I can't really say one is "better" than the other, but the pirated 1000 has GGA's and pinpoint mod, and a rear mount carbon fiber rod making it my usual choice for beach detecting. The 2 I use for diving and wading only with stock shaft or a dive shaft.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure this comparison can even be made, really. Once you factor in the subtle differences in each machine and each coil I don't think you can really compare new VS old. I've seen old blues that prrr like kittens and others that aren't quite so stable, same with the II's. Everything is made and assembled to the same "tolerances" but even very tight tolerances have some measure of a +/- within the desired range, true with the circuit boards, switches, coils, wires, everything. And then you have to factor in the users, conditions, etc. The old blue I have now is the smoothest Excal I've ever used, the one I had before wasn't near as smooth. I know other guys who have said this same thing about the II's, some appearing to be a bit smoother then others. Bottom line, when you get a really good one, one that you really think is performing exceptionally well, hang onto it and use it as often as you can. :thumbsup: Unless there is some sort of a problem most of them are all pretty darn close anyway.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why neither of mine have ever been for sale....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Excal II and it's very smooth and definately goes deep! So as Bigscoop points out it just depends on the individual machine! I know I wouldn't sell my Excal II and feel the very same for it as the guys that love their old Blues!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think used pricing becomes one issue for modding. The Excal 1000s are older generation and generally cheaper to purchase. Some users felt the old Sword models were the best, but those are getting harder to find parts for now.

Wayne

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like everyone has touched on the secrets to the Excalibur. I've found there is not much difference from the blues, greens and the swords. Headphones over the years have set the older models up to hear the fainter targets. One machine to the next may be a inch hotter, just like the CZ20/21's, but bottom line is knowing how to work your machine at your beach. On modding of a Excalibur, one that has the better headphones, remote PP, I feel has an advantage over the others for now you have more information to use. Then being able to swap coils is a great advantage for then you can fine tune that machine for every hunting condition. I really would like to see Minelabs take over this area of the Excalibur for the machine has so much more to offer when tweaked.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old blue, all the mods, and the ability to swap coils. To date, I've only run into one situation that I can't effectively hunt with enough depth and/or coverage but it's doubtful that I could with anything, but I will keep trying! :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we talking about you having sunk too deep in the recliner to get up (lol) or are we talking about a serious sanded in condition where the targets were deeper than could be detected/retrieved? You gotta tell us what old souped up blue couln't sniff out.

I have an old blue, all the mods, and the ability to swap coils. To date, I've only run into one situation that I can't effectively hunt with enough depth and/or coverage but it's doubtful that I could with anything, but I will keep trying! :laughing7:

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we talking about you having sunk too deep in the recliner to get up (lol) or are we talking about a serious sanded in condition where the targets were deeper than could be detected/retrieved? You gotta tell us what old souped up blue couln't sniff out.

Hold that thought! :laughing7: I'll be back in a bit........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Remember, you asked! :laughing7:

Here it is, my personal quest that I have yet to defeat in this never ending battle for more gold. Below are two aerial images of the same section of beach, one during the winter and one during the summer. Holy cow Batman! Look at all that summer sand!

bch1.jpg bch2.jpg

The picture on left is in the winter, the picture on the right is in the summer, from winter to summer where did the first trough go? In the winter this first narrow trough is over my head in some places, by late summer it will be completely filled in. Next winter it will get cleared out again and when that happens there will be dense targets scattered about everywhere in these deeper & firmer winter bottoms. 75 to 80% of the gold and silver I get each year comes from these winter troughs, and with good reason, most of this gold and silver having been lost in those extremely deep soft sands of the prior summer when the beach is at its very busiest. The picture at left represents firm sand, the picture at right represents soft soupy sand. If you really look close you can see just a trace of the winter trough still visible in the summer picture on the right.

People hear me complaining about the sand on my area beaches all the time and they really don't understand why, well, take a look, an entire deep trough completely filled in during the summer, the firmer bottoms that can support items like gold rings several “feet” out of reach. In the winter, as the sand gets slowly stripped out again, this winter trough can be like Christmas every day as more and more dense targets slowly continue to get exposed. A lot of targets will even get pushed over the thinning bar by winter's stronger swells where they will also collect in this winter trough. This winter trough is in fact, a proverbial gold mine.

But it's summer! We all know that. However, this is the season when all of that gold and silver in that winter trough is being lost so why can't we find it in the summer? Surely it's not sinking that fast. Oh, yes, yes it is, especially all of that gold and silver that's getting lost where the winter trough use to be, all of this new fill-sand being extremely fine and mushy. Lose something here while playing in the first row of breakers during the summer and it sinks as soon as it hits bottom, the current and wave action continually agitating this soft sand to further help its rapid plummet into Davy Jones locker. With just one tide change, if not sooner, that dense ring has said all its goodbyes until winter finally arrives to wake it from its summer hibernation. These are my summer beaches, or a word that is spelled very much like, beaches.

It's really too bad that this winter trough isn't a year-round feature because if it was then the hunting would be SUPER just about all the time. But, and here's the other big factor, since it isn't a year round thing all of that summertime adult water activity advances onto the sandbar and into the start of the second trough, especially at low tide, and without exception during those really low negative tides. From one end of the beach to the other this entire area, from the waterline to that second trough, is quickly becoming one huge jewelry store throughout the entire summer. Gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, rubies, emeralds, chains, rings, watches, bracelets, etc., etc., ect. It's all out there “if” only we can get at it “in the summer” before all of that diabolical soft summer sand sucks it too deep, too deep, too deep. Did you catch that? If not here it is again, “Too deep, too deep, too deep.”

Now, there are several reasons why we can't get at all this summer treasure before it sinks too deep, but, now ask yourself what is to be gained if we could just get at some of it? So to answer your question, “I'm on something of a secret mission to do just that” and in the end, once I figure a few things out, I'll likely be requiring OBN's expertise and help. And, I've even got a little $$$ to burn this time around. :laughing7:

PS: What was that movie - "If you build it those gold rings will come." Or it was something like that...:icon_scratch::laughing7:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of us who hunt it here know exactly what your talking about scoop.....

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hey bigscoop, sounds like that new SS is about to get some super human OBN upgrades...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey bigscoop, sounds like that new SS is about to get some super human OBN upgrades...

Nha....it pretty much is what it is. Got to chat with OBN and run a couple of ideas past him first, go from there.

gobble-gobble

Sep 7, 2012
North Port , Florida
Detector(s) used
own, excal 1000, excal. II , explorer II, Fisher CZ21, Vibra-Tector

Sold-BHID (2), DetecorPro-PI, Fisher CZ 2o, Fisher1280, Sovereign & many other minelabs & whites detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive thrown my Xcal II in the closet and use my BLUEs. There maybe a tolerance thats supposed to be met.... but i think Ireland did it better. My blues seem a bit more sensitive to smaller targets and have hardly no chatter like my Xcal II. The Xcal II seems a little deeper... but boy if that coil floats and GB is lost it loves to chatter. The Xcal II has required a lot more repairs for me as well and some of the people i know using them. BUT.... that said there isnt going to be any machine thats put in the harsh salt water condition and not ever need repairs.

I dont believe anyone thats used Joes mods would ever go back to a stock Xcal. His skullies are top notch and if you choose you can use the GGAs. Most people dont hunt in PP because they hate using the switch... and it fails.... not with his switch. His headphone mod has save us money and we got a much better set of headphones. If he does the coil swaps like hes working on that should put a little more money in our pockets and improve performance. Headphones and the right coil in certain conditions can make a heck of a difference out there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread