Tungsten for the Groom

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
About 3 weeks ago I was at Lido Beach in waist deep water when a guy in a tube asks me to help him find his
tungsten wedding ring. I said I would give him a few minutes for a search. After 1/2 hour I told him and his wife I have a drawer full of these rings and if they want a replacement, just text me where to send it. He needed a 10.5 ring. So I got all my 10.5 tungsten rings out, took a pic and texted them about which one they wanted. A B or C. I then sent the selected ring by mail to their address. After 3 weeks, no news about the ring. I called the Bride and asked if they got the ring. She said Yes, but it had initials inside the ring. She asked if I wanted it back, I said do what you want with it. I wear a gold wedding ring I found and I don't feel weird about it. Any Thoughts about this long story ?

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't care if it had something on the inside, nobody can see it...they have makers marks, makers name, karat marks on the inside. Nice gesture on your part.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Thats a messed up ending. Wasnt expecting that ending. Im upset now, gonna get a bowl of ice cream. Ok everything is ok.

sponge using smoke signals.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???why not just get it engraved with new initials,how ungrateful.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know, it would be difficult to loose something as sentimental as your wedding ring. Even getting a new one.... i think your thoughts always be .... its not the same. I know the one i returned on Christmas Eve, thou he was was happy getting another wedding ring..... until he was told it WAS his lost ring, he said there still was something not the same.

Dew

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice gesture on your part, too nice perhaps?
It never ceases to amaze me how ungrateful people can be, wow.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a zen sort of thing.
One is only able to reach the true state of happiness, Nirvana , or whatever when one is able to give without expecting anything back in return. You were disappointed because you have not reached that level.

It’s also a matter of expectations. Here you have a complete stranger expecting you to drop everything drop everything rush to their aide? As an analogy – Imagine the ring fell into the trap at the bottom of your bathroom kitchen sink.
How many plumbers do you know who would drop everything they are doing and rush to your home, take apart the trap, to retrieve the ring for Karmas sake or to improve their image?

There are two sides to every coin, instead of Karma and good will, you experienced the flip side!
And yes I would of requested the ring back, as there are many individuals who would be truely greatful.
I would also tell her my true feelings,and thank her for her courtesy.

She may not like it, but you would be doing her and others a favor!

About 3 weeks ago I was at Lido Beach in waist deep water when a guy in a tube asks me to help him find his
tungsten wedding ring. I said I would give him a few minutes for a search. After 1/2 hour I told him and his wife I have a drawer full of these rings and if they want a replacement, just text me where to send it. He needed a 10.5 ring. So I got all my 10.5 tungsten rings out, took a pic and texted them about which one they wanted. A B or C. I then sent the selected ring by mail to their address. After 3 weeks, no news about the ring. I called the Bride and asked if they got the ring. She said Yes, but it had initials inside the ring. She asked if I wanted it back, I said do what you want with it. I wear a gold wedding ring I found and I don't feel weird about it. Any Thoughts about this long story ?

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a zen sort of thing.
One is only able to reach the true state of happiness, euphoria, or whatever when one is able to give without expecting anything back in return. You were disappointed because you have not reached that level.

It’s also a matter of expectations. Why would a complete stranger expect you to drop everything you are doing and rush to their aide? As an analogy – say the ring was lost in their kitchen sink, how many plumbers do you know would drop everything they are doing, rush to their home, take apart the trap, to retrieve the ring for Karmas sake. I know I wouldn’t; I am Sir Gala Clad, not Sir Gallahad.

Getting back to the topic, shouldn’t ones responsibility be first to one’s family. Is it fair to them, to spend precious time and resources that should have been theirs? To be fair, on the average – you should at least break even.

There are two sides to every coin, instead of Karma and good will, you experienced the flip side!
And yes I would of requested the coin back, as you know of several individuals who would be greatfull and tell her my true feelings.
She may not like it, but you would be doing her and others a favor!
Grasshopper, When you can return the ring, with no expectations, you will be a true detectorist. :laughing7: Anyone that hasn't seen the show Kung Fu from the 70s, sorry for the confusion.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
ungrateful people!! can't even give those things away! lol

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

You tried to do the right thing and those kids were ungrateful. I wonder what the "initials" actually were since I have only found one tungsten that had a laser inscription. (Not the one you inquired about a few months back). They are very uncommon in my neck of the woods/beach.

Chalk it up to another lesson and don't let it change how you generally feel about people.

Good luck out there!

Murph

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread