Metal Detecting in the Turks & Caicos Islands - YES

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard some conflicting info on this, so I hope this will put the question to rest.

YES! You can hunt the Turks & Caicos...IF you get a permit!

The application is an 8 page PDF asking questions about what you plan to do, where you'll hunt, what you'll do with what you find. If approved then you need to pay a fee ($150) when you arrive. First you go to the DEMA office to get an invoice and then to the Treasury to pay it and then back to the DEMA office for your permit (Its a small island, its not far). This is what you'll get:

TCI-MD.JPG

Rules.JPG

It is a lot of bureaucracy, but it is very cool that they have a permit process and not an outright ban like many places! Was it worth it? I'd say YES, even though I didn't find anything valuable I had miles and miles and miles of public beach at my disposal to hunt including Grace Bay which is always on the top 10 most beautiful beach list (if not #1). All beaches of the islands are PUBLIC. The sand is soft and the water crystal clear and warm. I do have the permit as a keepsake!

I think a more experienced beach hunter would do much better than me. This was my first salt water beach hunt. The sand is deep and seems to swallow anything heavier than a pull tab.

I hope I did our hobby well, by following the rules and working with the government. They are actually very nice! The TCI are beautiful, the people are friendly and I always felt safe. This is an amazing MD destination adventure!

If anyone wants a DIRECT contact (I was given permission to share his email) with someone in the exact office to get the permit process started let me know via PM.

IMG_1981-1024x768.jpg

Upvote 2

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to know - thanks!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Do you get to keep everything you find? Or do you have to turn over historical coins and artifacts to the government?

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you get to keep everything you find? Or do you have to turn over historical coins and artifacts to the government?

Anything that may be historical must be turned in and subsequently donated to the local museum.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know guys that have hunted there - never needed a permit - and they never had any problems ???

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I asked years ago and had a reply that stated that my MD equipment MAY be confiscated upon arrival inspection. Next problem was that everything in the sand under the water belongs to the Queen (hence the "Queens Bottom" and I would be required to turn in everything found, including current day coinage and personal items. Things might be bad if one does not obey the law of the land. Anyway I did not make a trip to the TCI. But now with the possibility of having a Permit, I will think about a future trip.
Thanks for the information.

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I showed them my finds and he wasn't interested. I don't think they care, they just don't want BVI Hunter to come in and use the permit to excavate a Pirate ship.

As far as the $150 they really are a poor country and cannot even affort the proper ships to keep poachers from other country out of their waters. I found it a great way to help protect the beauty and biodiversity there.

Also, one local that walks up and down the beach selling parasail rides started yelling at me that what I was doing was illegal...I showed him the permit and he walked away muttering to himself....it more than paid for itself in my book!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I showed them my finds and he wasn't interested. I don't think they care, they just don't want BVI Hunter to come in and use the permit to excavate a Pirate ship.

There's a Pirate Ship there? ? why didn't you say!
Am booking flights on Expedia as we speak....:laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your permit is null and void. It says no excavation of ANY kind. The permit is useless for detecting. Unless you didn't dig your targets or hand fanned for them. Its like saying you can use a rod and reel for fishing but no hooks. :dontknow:

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well they are a a British territory, but perhaps something was lost in translation. I took it to mean leave the shovels and backhoe at home. Still the sand is so soft any holes made in the surf were gone in 3 laps of waves.

I really liked having the card. Not that anyone asked, but I felt very official even up past the towel line at the 5 star $1000/night resorts.

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I leave Friday for a week, do you get the application at the dema office or before I go online?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Your permit is null and void. It says no excavation of ANY kind. The permit is useless for detecting. Unless you didn't dig your targets or hand fanned for them....

Haha, well gee, even if you "dig your targets by hand, or 'fanned' for them", that can still be defined as "excavation". So the permit is useless. And to have to turn in (or show or whatever) all your finds, and have old valuable ones confiscated ? What's the point ?

Like any "permit" that's ever dreamed up by any locale, they're always riddled with silly rules. Ie.: not within 20 ft. of any tree. Or "yes but you can't dig", and "turn in all items for inspection", blah blah

And like a lot of places that get "no's" or "require" permits, yet lo & behold, someone else (who perhaps didn't know any better, or didn't ask enough questions), goes unbothered and no one cares (as Casper says of this location).

goldiger

Greenie
Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hunted there last weekend on a cruise water was to rough to get in hunted wet sand. Found change and few junk earrings. Was only harassed by security woman asked if I was going to share with her. I said sure and moved on. No one bothered me there was a local man that hunts there regularly said he found few rings on both sides of the beach by the cruise dock ( margaritaville )

Lizcha

Oct 7, 2023
I've heard some conflicting info on this, so I hope this will put the question to rest.

The application is an 8 page PDF asking questions about what you plan to do, where you'll hunt, what you'll do with what you find. If approved then you need to pay a fee ($150) when you arrive. First you go to the DEMA office to get an invoice and then to the Treasury to pay it and then back to the DEMA office for your permit (Its a small island, its not far). This is what you'll get:

View attachment 1036467

View attachment 1036466

It is a lot of bureaucracy, but it is very cool that they have a permit process and not an outright ban like many places! Was it worth it? I'd say YES, even though I didn't find anything valuable I had miles and miles and miles of public beach at my disposal to hunt including Grace Bay which is always on the top 10 most beautiful beach list (if not #1). All beaches of the islands are PUBLIC. The sand is soft and the water crystal clear and warm. I do have the permit as a keepsake!

I think a more experienced beach hunter would do much better than me. This was my first salt water beach hunt. The sand is deep and seems to swallow anything heavier than a pull tab.

I hope I did our hobby well, by following the rules and working with the government. They are actually very nice! The TCI are beautiful, the people are friendly and I always felt safe. This is an amazing MD destination adventure!

If anyone wants a DIRECT contact (I was given permission to share his email) with someone in the exact office to get the permit process started let me know via PM.

View attachment 1036492
You were Given permission to share his email) with someone in the exact office to get the permit process started let me know the email adresse please...i want to metal detect in the caicos at grace bay

Lizcha

Oct 7, 2023

View attachment 1036467

View attachment 1036466

View attachment 1036492
What is the email adresse please

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions