Do aluminum water scoops rust over time?

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
really? have you ever seen aluminum rust? Do your coke cans rust out in the fridge?

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi,
I like the looks of RTG scoops. However, I notice on their site the link to the stainless scoops says "stainless scoops that won't rust after time". I like the weight savings aluminum offers but should I expect it to eventually rust after a lot of use in saltwater?

No, it won't rust. But I would go with the stainless, if you can afford it. You won't notice the weight and it will last a lot longer than the aluminum one.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really? have you ever seen aluminum rust? Do your coke cans rust out in the fridge?

You have never dug a rusted out beer can? Pure aluminum will not rust but something with tin content will.
Depends on the purity of the aluminum.

Justbent

Mar 23, 2013
North Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, I like the looks of RTG scoops. However, I notice on their site the link to the stainless scoops says "stainless scoops that won't rust after time". I like the weight savings aluminum offers but should I expect it to eventually rust after a lot of use in saltwater?
Aluminum will oxidize in saltwater over time. Same thing as rust but not the same color. Different alloys holdup better than others but not can withstand saltwater.

dingding

Jul 31, 2014
n.c.
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah probably should get stainless just for the durability. Perplexing that while youre looking at aluminum scoops, the link at the top to stainless says "stainless scoops that wont rust after time", in my mind implying compared to the aluminum scoops on the current page. would seem more appropriate for it to to say stainless scoops for added durability and strength or something along those lines. It makes it sound like you can expect the aluminum welds to rust or something.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Beach Brute II by RTG, is aluminum 4 years old and no rust... You can buy aluminum scoop and put a stainless steel lip on it.... I have one on my Beach Brute.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they will wear out and welds will brake after time , go with the ss it will last a life time

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i BENT MY STAINLESS HUNTING IN ROCKS AND ALSO BROKE A WELD
HAD A BEACH BRUTE - LOVED IT - BUT TORE LIP ON IT - WISH THEY USED JUST A LITTLE THICKER ALUMINUM
MY RTG IS SHOWING ITS WEAR NOW - LIP IS ALL BENT UP AND PUT A DENT IN ITS BOTTOM TRYING TO LIFT SOME BIG ROCKS

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, that's why cars completely submerged in salt water often start right up and look fine after a good washing. About six months later every single piece of aluminum on the car mysteriously starts crumbling until it has the consistency of sand. Even aluminum blocks have been known to work fine after a good flushing and mysteriously turn to sand about six months after being submerged in salt water.
Salt water ibasically has the effect of a time delay chemical acid Bath on untreated aluminum.

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
dont forget if you hunt for long periods of time sand will eat an aluminum scoop fast. no aluminum scoop ive ever owned has lasted longer than a year

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i BENT MY STAINLESS HUNTING IN ROCKS AND ALSO BROKE A WELD
HAD A BEACH BRUTE - LOVED IT - BUT TORE LIP ON IT - WISH THEY USED JUST A LITTLE THICKER ALUMINUM
MY RTG IS SHOWING ITS WEAR NOW - LIP IS ALL BENT UP AND PUT A DENT IN ITS BOTTOM TRYING TO LIFT SOME BIG ROCKS
I installed a stainless steel lip with rivets on my Beach Brute II, in 6 years no tears or damage to lip at all.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont forget if you hunt for long periods of time sand will eat an aluminum scoop fast. no aluminum scoop ive ever owned has lasted longer than a year

MY RTG ALUMINUM TRAVEL MODEL IS TILL RUNNING STRONG AFTER 5 YRS - ONE BEFORE THAT I HAD FOR ABOUT 6 TILL GIANT WAVE TOOK IT AWAY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread