Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was finally able to hook up with Whydah for another hunt. I was certainly not disappointed!

When this showed up in my scoop I thought it was a toy or something. I could not tell how heavy it was because my scoop was full of rocks. When I first picked it up I was thinking "wow, that's heavy"! When I flipped it over and saw that it was stamped "one pound of fine silver .999" I was still in disbelief! I could faintly hear Leighton saying "what is it buddy" as I just kept staring at this coin in amazement! I still can't believe it!

Another thing that is cool about this coin is that it is from 1986 when I worked at Fenway Park. Yes, the ball went through Buckner's legs! I was able to see all of the home games from that year and the few years that followed. I was just a sophomore in high school then and the memories will be with me forever. That's when I earned the nickname "Fenway" from all of my buddies.

On the way home we discussed ways this coin could have ended up out in the mud. It's not really a coin that someone would bring to the beach and then lose. Was it thrown there? Was it sacrificed???

The gold eluded us yesterday, but I certainly grabbed my best find to date!

20140815_140108.jpg 20140814_144525.jpg 20140815_140037.jpg

Thanks for another unbelievable hunt Buddy, you never cease to amaze! :headbang:
Looking forward to our next adventure!

Still in shock,
Fenway

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never knew they made those. I will dig all beer cans for now on. Congrats

sponge using smoke signals.
Yep, the guys that leave the big signals like beer cans, would also leave something like that. Where did you get that stone crab claw in your avatar pic, that thing is huge.

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i vote banner also this is my first banner vote congrats on a real nice find

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Wow, that a once-in-a-lifetime find!

You should weigh it to get its weight (I apologize if this was brought up earlier in the thread). There is the 16 oz pound we're all used to, and then there's a "troy pound" which is used in metals. A troy pound is 12 ounces. But that would just be a shame to only find 12 ounces of silver, haha!

congrats on an awesome find!

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find buddy , would love to have some of those rattling in my pocket , congrats ..cheers Mick

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing recovery, one heck of a coin

powered by pull tabs

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Yep, the guys that leave the big signals like beer cans, would also leave something like that. Where did you get that stone crab claw in your avatar pic, that thing is huge.

I cant tell you where I got it but I will tell you it was better than the beer. Lol

sponge using smoke signals.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
WOW that's a big coin. Great find. Maybe there was a roll of them.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Whoa! Was wondering what happened to Whydah! Glad you all are hitting it!:icon_queen:
I am still here...just been a little quiet lately... I am still out hunting...been busy with the radio show and doing some seminars over the past few months...Have a great day buddy...

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for the pics

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! Just when the immigration situation is in full controversy you come up with this "monster coin" that relates to it! That's really uncanny.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! How deep was it? I'm surprised you dug it up. If I got a signal like that, I would presume it to be another of a zillion soda cans I find when I dig those huge, high pitched targets, and just pass it by.

OP
OP
Fenway

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
Primary Interest:
You know what all of the veterans say: "dig everything"! It was not that deep. In fact, I kept "pushing" the target with my scoop - probably because it would not fit in easily! So I chased it around for a while! I am fortunate that it did not get all scratched up with all that chasing!

HH
Fenway

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally scoop everything at the beach too but if I get an overload or an "aluminum can" hit, it's real easy to say "to heck with it" after you've been baking in the hot sun for a few hours and your arms feel like jello.

OP
OP
Fenway

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
Primary Interest:
Cladgrabber, its funny because my CTX never gave me the "overload" signal when I was digging it. I just bench tested it and I did get the overload signal. Weird. ???

Fenway

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic find bro! I would have bet money it was a soda can and skipped it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread