Tips for mding with the kids.

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok maybe it's too late to ask for tomorrow but I'm taking the kids (8 and 6) out detecting for the first time (me too,kinda) tomorrow and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips. I know it's a little late for tomorrow but maybe I can use the advice next time. So far the only problem seems to be who gets to swing the detector. They are really into it. Should be fun.
Cheers

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plant some coins for them to dig so they find stuff. Otherwise they may get bored.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You will need a lot of patience with children of that young age; if they are not finding any treasures, they will quickly become bored and frustrated, and may demand more of your attention.

If you can borrow an extra detector, that would be great ; if not, maybe bring some other games for them to play while one or the other ( or you ) are using the detector.

I hope you all have a fun time out there..is this beach or park?

Lorraine

Last edited:

gulfcoaster

May 11, 2014
Pensacola, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, White's Bullseye TRX, Stealth Classic 8" Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a cheap detector for them if you have a local Harbor Freight or a similar place. Then you can just plant some coins for them in a designated area. Push some nickels and quarters into the sand an inch or so, nice and flat. Then let them do their thing.

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tell them "we are going to get some candy money"! I agree, plant plenty of coins for them to find. You have to keep them interested.

HH
Fenway

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a beautiful day at the beach, too beautiful. The kids lasted about 20 minutes and went for the surf. I should have planted coins in the sand. Oh well. The beach got too crowded to detect effectively anyways. I did get a feel for the new detector tho. I think I'll go back in the fall.
I'm going to Okinawa next week so maybe I'll get lucky there. I'll definitely plant some coins for the kids.
Thanks for the advice all.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kids seem too be very lucky,id just give them the detector and let them go where they want as long as it is safe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread