All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paulin: I treasure hunt with an Excalibur ll 1000, which I purchased new with an extended warranty (for a total of two years – expires Jan 015). Purchasing it with an extended warranty was a good choice as I have had to return this detector twice, after one and a half years of heavy and frequent usage for warranty repair.Both problems were a result of broken wires/ failed connections where the cable connect(s) to the pod. The first failure occurred where the cable connect to the battery connector. A month later the cable failed again where it connects inside the control pod.

What you are identifying as a head phone problem is (actually ) a cable problem where this cable connects to the control problem.
Also what you are stating as coil problems, are again cable problems ( most likely where the cable connects to the coil, and where the cable connects to the control pod. As cables deteriorate with age, even when stored in the closet, they will eventually need to be replaced (cracks, cuts, wear and tear), especially with an older model such as the Excalibur 800 or 1000, aka Blue or Old Blue.

Since the newer Excalibur ll has more shielding, it is more stable and is less affected by Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI).
Which model is best depends upon what you like. I would love to have all three models, but settled on the newer model as it cost me a fortunate to ship to and from Hawaii.

I do not like the knob guards, currently available, as the edges are not rounded and the guard needs to be longer so that it protects the wiring to the headphone. This way you will be able to install a stress relief to the headphone cable without bending it, which in my opinion is a terrible idea, as bending the cable will induce failure earlier.

Overall, I enjoyed the video, thank you for your effort(s)

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video Pauln. I just got my first Excalibur. I got a new Excal II 1000. I havent had it in the water yet. Ive watched a lot of OBN mod videos. Ive considered doing some of the extra waterproofing like silicone grease on the o-rings under the knobs and aquaseal under the black shrink wrap on the ends of the control but I dont want to void the warranty. It kind of worries me to take it in the water without some extra precaution. Even tho I know its under warranty, Id like to avoid any water/sand ever being introduced in there from the start. One thing I have been pondering-- has anyone ever came up with a wireless headphone mod for the excalibur? Thanks for all the useful info.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gala Clad were you using extended shaft, waist mount or chest mounting the controls?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the Anderson Tall man composit shaft, with the control pod mounted with the headphones pointed down, so that they would not be yanked off my ears when I dropped to my knees to pick up a target when ground hunting.

This increased the probability of the battery cable being flexed/pulled as this cable is exposed at the top of the shaft.
You have to be especially careful when cleaning the protective coil cover, aka skid plate , on a shaft this long as
it is very difficult to do without stressing the battery cable and the cable that goes the search coil by pushing theese exposed cables into the ground.

After having to send the metal detector back for a second repair, I now mount the contol pod so that the head phones are at the
top of the shaft pointing up and now only use the protective bottom cover on the coil (aka skid plate) when hunting over sharp objects stick up above the sand.

IIRC, you recommended not using the skid plate, on dry and wet sand as the protective bottom cover was intended for hunting on land. Unfortunately, I did not follow this recommendation, which was excellent advice, as you wear a harness which gives you better coil control.

I have really enjoyed detecting with the Excalibur ll since I stopped using the protective bottom cover, as I no longer have to clean the coil, every one to two hours. Ironically the only damage, that was done to the search coil, which has a soft membrane on the bottom, was when a large course grain of sand got between the cover and the search coil, creating a large dimple in the bottom of the search coil which is very noticable.

I hate to think of all the deep targets, I did not detect, because of noise created by sand between the skid pad and the bottom of the search coil. As the degradation in performance is gradual, it is not noticable, until you realize that you are no longer able to distinguish between targets and noise.

Gala Clad were you using extended shaft, waist mount or chest mounting the controls?

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn’t worry about getting a new Excalibur ll wet as they have been pressured tested to 200 feet before they are sold. You do not need any extra precaution. The only thing that minelab recommends is putting a small amount of silicon grease between the pins of the battery pod, if the detector gets chatty from moisture below the thin round seal. Be sure to clean up any found moisture first and remove any corrosion found.
The connector to the battery pod should be snug – do not over tighten.

When you are finished hunting be sure to clean in thoroughly, removing all sand and salt water, don’ t forget to flush the inside of the shaft as well. After cleaning dry with towel/micro cloth. It is best to take the shaft apart after each use to keep it from seizing. This is especially important for metal shafts.
Always disconnect the battery from the control pod when not hunting to minimize damage if leakage occurs.

I doubt you will see such a mod - a wireless headphone mod for the Excalibur would not add much value as it would not be water tight.

Nice video Pauln. I just got my first Excalibur. I got a new Excal II 1000. I havent had it in the water yet. Ive watched a lot of OBN mod videos. Ive considered doing some of the extra waterproofing like silicone grease on the o-rings under the knobs and aquaseal under the black shrink wrap on the ends of the control but I dont want to void the warranty. It kind of worries me to take it in the water without some extra precaution. Even tho I know its under warranty, Id like to avoid any water/sand ever being introduced in there from the start. One thing I have been pondering-- has anyone ever came up with a wireless headphone mod for the excalibur? Thanks for all the useful info.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt you will see such a mod - a wireless headphone mod for the Excalibur would not add much value as it would not be water tight.

I was thinking it would have to be somehow encased watertight and watertight connection to the control which seems doable. Maybe a specially designed endcap. I would assume sound quality/delay would be the bigger issue. Thanks for the advice.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Minelab provides wireless headphone capability in the CTX 3030, which is stated faster than Blue Tooth, the delay - most important and and sound quality issue have been overcome. This feature provides greater comfort for dry and wet sand detecting and comes in very handy when detecting targets near rocks.

The take away is that the CTX 3030 is not waterproof when using the wireless headphone capability.
It is of no use to me as I need a waterproof detector where I hunt as I am a shallow water hunter and it rains, usually twice a day.
Further, salt mist can damage an unprotected metal detector, especially when the winds are on shore.

They could of made at least the metal detector part of the wireless capability water proof, but choose not to do so, as they wanted the CTX 3030 to
be able to use the more comfortable and easier to hear with land headphones (do not require hole for draining water), Sigh.

Even if the wireless portion of the metal detector was designed to be wireless, the part that you clip to your shirt/visor and headphone would not.

So why even bother: " What One Hand Giveth, the Other Hand Taketh Away"!

I was thinking it would have to be somehow encased watertight and watertight connection to the control which seems doable. Maybe a specially designed endcap. I would assume sound quality/delay would be the bigger issue. Thanks for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread