How has the AT Pro performed in salt and freshwater?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brings up a point.. Call me lazy or someone who just likes to work smarter rather than harder ...whatever... But depth isn't really something I want to be a big issue when I'm hunting a beach.
I go about it in what I think is a completely different way looking at a much bigger picture playing the entire coastline and Mother Nature in a game of.. "Which beach is best".. Most of my best finds are because of this and not very deep at all.
I hunt for jewelry on the West coast and most are shallow, recent drops. Stuff sinks much slower on the West coast than it does on your side. Rings can sit for days, even weeks, without sinking out of detecting range...I don't worry much about depth either.

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I seen on YouTube a guy using the AT Pro in Salt water ground balanced it manually and got rid of the chatter and detected in the water a few feet deep and on the dry sand with no issues. So I think it should come down to just knowing how to use the machine and play with the manual ground balance feature. There is actually a few people who did YouTube videos with the AT Pro in salt water. It has the capabilities to do it so I don't think no matter where you live salt water in the US should be similar enough to have the same ground balance effects. I'll give mine a shot when I play around with it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I seen on YouTube a guy using the AT Pro in Salt water ground balanced it manually and got rid of the chatter and detected in the water a few feet deep and on the dry sand with no issues. So I think it should come down to just knowing how to use the machine and play with the manual ground balance feature. There is actually a few people who did YouTube videos with the AT Pro in salt water. It has the capabilities to do it so I don't think no matter where you live salt water in the US should be similar enough to have the same ground balance effects. I'll give mine a shot when I play around with it.
Its not the saltwater, its the minerals in the sand that causes the trouble. Black sand is the worse because its high in minerals. There are beaches where the AT pro will not work well at all.

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not the saltwater, its the minerals in the sand that causes the trouble. Black sand is the worse because its high in minerals. There are beaches where the AT pro will not work well at all.
oh ok that makes sense.

langsy

Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be sure to watch the garrett at pro instructional vids on you tube it has a vid on salt water tips

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread