Water hunting VS wetsand hunting

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every Beach is different. Florida east coast beaches, say Ft. Lauderdale today has a high tide of 2.8' low is 0.3', Clearwater beach high and low are about the same, but the surf is much rougher on the east cost than in the Gulf. Virginia Beach high is 4.2' low is 0.5'. Boston high is 9.5' low is 0.5'. The smaller the tide swing between high and low the more stuff you will find in the water because low tide does not uncover all the places where people have been swimming at high tide. When the tide swing is greater than the depth a man can stand, then there will clearly be wet sand places at low tide that someone swimming at high tide will have had to be. There is lots to consider. The more you hunt the more you will find and the more you will usually learn about the beach where YOU hunt. Do you have 20 years of experience because you have continued to try new things and places or do you have 1 year of experience 20 times over because you continue to do the same thing over and over again? Happy Hunting. Beach papa

I agree, if there is not enough of a tide change, you have no choice but to go out in the water to retrieve targets
lost by swimmers.

Put me down for a decade of experience, even though I have only hunted with a detector less than two years.
It springs from an overcurious mind, and an infinite capacity of finding new ways to do something wrong.
If you only learn by the mistakes you make, and not your successes, I am truely blessed.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100%. I've cleaned up after those rogue wave events. Nobody pays attention to high and low tides and are always caught by surprise.

I agree:

Try to imagine the force a wave would have, and how fast it would travel, if there was no drag from a continental shelf.
In Hawaii, we are taught never to turn our back on the ocean, so that you do not join your items left on the towels on the way out.

I am talking about normal waves, If you are hit by a rogue wave at night, you might end up surfing on your mattress.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the water, the wet sand, and dry sand when it is high tide, I find more jewelry by far in the water or wet sand than I ever find in the dry sand.....I would guess it is close to 90% myself as well.....

But what percent of time do you shallow water hunt, wet sand hunt, or dry sand hunt.
I have found more jewlery in the water as I shallow water hunt for health reasons, however, most of the jewlery is of little
value as it is new age. Also, my finds in dry sand are usually in better condition, as they are fresh drops.
When you hunt on dry sand, you are always sanded in!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what percent of time do you shallow water hunt, wet sand hunt, or dry sand hunt.
I have found more jewlery in the water as I shallow water hunt for health reasons, however, most of the jewlery is of little
value as it is new age. Also, my finds in dry sand are usually in better condition, as they are fresh drops.
When you hunt on dry sand, you are always sanded in!
I have found 9 diamonds rings to date 6 in water, 2 in wet sand and 1 in dry sand. I can't tell you amount of time devoted to each area, never tracked it,

Summer time I usually hunt water unless it is rough which happens a lot here, then I hunt wet sand then try sand. I found 5 gold, 2 of which had diamonds one day all in the water or wet sand just above the water line and it was low tide....

Your in Hawaii, could be totally different there compared to Florida beaches, I just know here I have far better luck finding gold in the water or wet sad than I ever have in dry sand....

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only been at it for three years. Two years were almost all beach. Everything great I have found has been in the wet sand, with only a few exceptions. I just started going in the water with my Excal and it broke. If I lost a five thousand dollar ring in the dry sand, I would camp out there until I found it. But in the ocean, everyone knows it's gone.

I would like to know what happens to rings when they first hit bottom. Do the stay on top of the sand. Do they burrow right in and sink inches an hour. Do they get swept out or in many inches or feet an hour. They have very little surface area so I believe they go right down and don't get pushed around or move much. I love they way iron settles with gold and other heavy stuff on the beach. Nature is a natural sifter at the beach. Outter banks had black and purple sand three inches thick. I scooped it up. It was so heavy. I was thinking a big piece of steel was deteriorating and bits of iron were swept to the same place.

Two cents added.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tie a gold ring with a piece of dental floss or fishing line about 18 inches long and cork on end and drop it at the waters edge and watch what happens to it, I did......LOL

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tie a gold ring with a piece of dental floss or fishing line about 18 inches long and cork on end and drop it at the waters edge and watch what happens to it, I did......LOL

No way!

With my luck, it would get sucked out by a wave and ingested by my buddy Barry (the Baracuda).
He (I assume it is a he) and a school of larger tropical fish often follow me around in the shallow waters as I churn the bottom creating food for them whenever I try to retrieve a target.

Judging by the amount of stink eye I get, the locals must already think I am lo lo *crazy*, could
you imagine what they would think if they saw me tying a fishing line to a ring without a hook?

They would probably call 911 thinking, I had too long if the sun!
No way - too much Humbug!

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 9 diamonds rings to date 6 in water, 2 in wet sand and 1 in dry sand. I can't tell you amount of time devoted to each area, never tracked it,

Summer time I usually hunt water unless it is rough which happens a lot here, then I hunt wet sand then try sand. I found 5 gold, 2 of which had diamonds one day all in the water or wet sand just above the water line and it was low tide....

Your in Hawaii, could be totally different there compared to Florida beaches, I just know here I have far better luck finding gold in the water or wet sad than I ever have in dry sand....

We have two different surf season(s) on the Island where the North Shore is rough during the winter and the South Shore is rough during the summer. Also, most of the beaches that I detect are short and narrow.

However, I think the ratio of jewelry found in the water, wet sand and dry sand in Hawaii has more to do with the has more to do with hotel locations and competition than the beach itself. As an example, I have yet to find anything of value in front of a high end resort, mostly because these location(s) are hunted by anyone who swings a metal detector as finds can be very valuable.

Then it is a matter of competition - Most hard core detectorists hunt with PIs, usually Whites Surf PI Dual Field(s) with fixed 12” search coils and the earlier model White PIs with a smaller search coil which is easier to sweep in the water.
I do not have an edge shallow water hunting as that is where the hard core competition hunts and most hard core detectorists are more capable (younger) and more experienced (brought up) in the water.

Likewise, unless there is a lot of trash in the wet sand, there is little advantage of hunting with an Excalibur.

The only place that I seem to have an advantage, is where there are hot rocks or a lot of trashe.

I believe I have done better hunting the dry sand zone for fresh drops as it is exhausting to hunt with a PI where there is heavy trash and I am competing against less skilled detectorists who rely more on luck, than being able to read the beach.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I recall hunting with a PI and digging a hammer out under water, talk about being pissed as it sunk further and further till I finally got it out.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stay out of the water it's a bad place to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread