Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% of all jewelry that is lost, is lost in the water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember wet sand was under water at high tide. I find the majority of my jewelry in the water....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say ive found at least 50 rings in the water for each found on land -nuff said

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting fellas. I must suck at water hunting! 85 percent of my finds were in the wet sand with the exception of a few water finds in the trough at the low tide line. My deep water targets often seemed to allude me due to current and continuous sinking. Coins and the like were not a problem lead neither. Maybe switching machines too often was the problem or maybe I suck!
Don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to agree water seems more productive, also the added benefit of the water cooling you allowing for longer hunts.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
>> For tips on hunting the surf and wet sand I consulted with Rusty Henry. Rusty is a retired Navy "frogman," and an original Seal Team 2 member. He is a living metal detecting legend, and has been the Service Manager at Tesoro Electronics for 20-years. Rusty says rings and jewelry are lost in the water during both High, and Low tides. You can get to these treasures much more quickly during Low tide however. "At Low tide, get into knee- to thigh- deep water to get to the jewelry that was lost at High tide by people swimming, frolicking, throwing Frisbees, footballs and such," says Rusty.

"Look for streaks of Black sand on the beach at the waterline. These are always an indicator of where other heavy things like coins and jewelry will be deposited. Many beaches will only have Black sand streaks after a storm, or unusually heavy wave action. Storms uncover things that have been out of reach for many years as the sand gets ripped away. You have to act fast however during low tides, as a couple tide changes can start covering it all up again." Rusty says after a violent storm, look for hard clay patches that are showing and, "detect the small depressions that look like miniature potholes." <<

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting fellas. I must suck at water hunting! 85 percent of my finds were in the wet sand with the exception of a few water finds in the trough at the low tide line. My deep water targets often seemed to allude me due to current and continuous sinking. Coins and the like were not a problem lead neither. Maybe switching machines too often was the problem or maybe I suck! Don't know. Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
. I have the same experience as you. However, I am in California and it's very hard to get into the water due to the surf.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
. I have the same experience as you. However, I am in California and it's very hard to get into the water due to the surf.

That's why I get just into the waters edge and hunt that and the wet sand. Don't get me wrong, I've found a few nice rings just beyond the waters edge also. When I was hunting east coast of Florida I could wait to head to the gulf coast for calmer water but then I realized how many hunters were able to get in and hit it well before I could get there. Now I can't wait to get back to the east coast where the surf stirs it all up and pushes it out into the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why I get just into the waters edge and hunt that and the wet sand. Don't get me wrong, I've found a few nice rings just beyond the waters edge also. When I was hunting east coast of Florida I could wait to head to the gulf coast for calmer water but then I realized how many hunters were able to get in and hit it well before I could get there. Now I can't wait to get back to the east coast where the surf stirs it all up and pushes it out into the sand. Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I wasn't complaining lol. I like the fact people are discouraged from the rough surf to hunt. Also the main reason rings fall off in the first place. My best 2 finds this year were at the towel line so it's hard to argue that too.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida

This hobby has changed my perspective on east coast surf. It really is pretty good over here

sponge using smoke signals.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% of all jewelry that is lost, is lost in the water.
I doubt that number as not everyone who goes to the beach goes into the water: some cannot swim,
water to ruff, fear of sharks, etcetera, etcetera.

Where does this 90% number come from?

Is there any proof to support this number?

Last edited:

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't count how many times I've seen people's towels and beach bags get swamped by the incoming tides. I would think that much of the items lost at the beach are due to people leaving their items at the towel line too close to the incoming tide.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt that number as not everyone who goes to the beach goes into the water: some cannot swim,
water to ruff, fear of sharks, etcetera, etcetera.

Where does this 90% number come from?

Is there any proof to support this number?
I hunt in the water, the wet sand, and dry sand when it is high tide, I find more jewelry by far in the water or wet sand than I ever find in the dry sand.....I would guess it is close to 90% myself as well.....

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Every Beach is different. Florida east coast beaches, say Ft. Lauderdale today has a high tide of 2.8' low is 0.3', Clearwater beach high and low are about the same, but the surf is much rougher on the east cost than in the Gulf. Virginia Beach high is 4.2' low is 0.5'. Boston high is 9.5' low is 0.5'. The smaller the tide swing between high and low the more stuff you will find in the water because low tide does not uncover all the places where people have been swimming at high tide. When the tide swing is greater than the depth a man can stand, then there will clearly be wet sand places at low tide that someone swimming at high tide will have had to be. There is lots to consider. The more you hunt the more you will find and the more you will usually learn about the beach where YOU hunt. Do you have 20 years of experience because you have continued to try new things and places or do you have 1 year of experience 20 times over because you continue to do the same thing over and over again? Happy Hunting. Beach papa

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't count how many times I've seen people's towels and beach bags get swamped by the incoming tides. I would think that much of the items lost at the beach are due to people leaving their items at the towel line too close to the incoming tide.
I agree 100%. I've cleaned up after those rogue wave events. Nobody pays attention to high and low tides and are always caught by surprise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread