Which scoop do you use Beach in the water.

FLATENPA

Jun 24, 2014
Western Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, AT Pro, CTX 3030, Sovereign Elite, Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious as I watch others on Ya'll Tube and it seems there are a lot of different scoops. I am on the east coast of Florida, and I have been bitten by the water bug.. I was out during low tide and on the side of a trough was a positive sounding bottle cap ( I mean target) and I have 6 inch wide Aluminum round scoop with a four foot handle. I could not get to this target to save my proverbial buttock. I could repeat the tone (Excal II) the tide was still going out and the water was about about two and half foot deep, depending on the wave action, the water was very, very swift.

I noticed my Excal has the wave detect feature, seriously it would start to squawk just a few seconds before the wave would arrive, it seems the current would provide me with false targets. Now this may be due to my settings not sure..

So I said all that to ask this I like the look of "Indiana" style of scoop has lots of holes to drain and sift its made of stainless steel. Would there be any advantage for me to get a different style of scoop for the above scenario. A bit over from that elusive target I got a quarter an dime out of the sand about 8 inches down, but that was on the up-hill side of the trough facing the beach a lot easier to dig.

I played in the dry said and collected 23 bottle tops, would love to say I got them all at one time but I didn't. In between the bottle caps I found three earrings and some change. My current scoop did good in the dry, are there ones better suited for the beach wet and dry sand.

About the bottle tops I know its a numbers game I mean sooner or later I am going to have them all and there will be a world shortage, except for me....:headbang:

If it where easy then everyone would be doing it...wait isn't everyone on this forum doing it? :metaldetector:

If you don't dig you can't win...

Thanks.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet FLATENPA!

I have several scoops!

The first one I purchased for the beach and shallow water, was the S.S. Scoop shaped like a can with a long S.S. handle. It didn't drain fast enough except in the water but in the wet sand it would clog. Too small but works well in the water and sand!

The second one is like the Indiana Scoop you're interested in but I had to make a handle from fiberglass to keep it light. This import is an ok scoop but will still clog in the wet stuff! Nice, wide, shovel-like mouth, Couldn't cherry pick as easy as I would like (probably just my technique)! But still a good all around scoop made with a medium grade S.S.!

The third one is my favorite! It's a Stealth 720i with a carbon fiber handle! It's expensive but it is very light and handles every condition I can throw at it! It works excellent in the sand and awesome in the water/ coarse sand /shells etc. This scoop from Sunspot is made from a superior rust resisting S.S. and all is guaranteed for life! Another feature I like is the pointed tip that allows me to dig without having to scoop as much material!

All of the above in IMHO!:laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Stealth 720 and love it...they will repair or replace Stealth scoops for life and you don't have to be original owner.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flatenpa: The 6” wide Aluminum enclosed can basket scoop that you are using is a good all purpose scoop for dry and wet sand in that it is light, easy to use and does not take too big a bite of sand at one time (wet sand is very heavy). The disadvantage of this design is that it is corky in the water (difficult to hold on target, tends to roll when you hit a hard surface, and small items will fall through the 5/8 inch diameter holes.

Since you treasure hunt with an Excalibur ll, most likely the 1000, you should use a scoop with a wider basket, as it is difficult to accurately pin point with the slim line 10” Double D (wide blade pattern) large field search coil. An open basket stainless scoop design works best. As you are hunting where a lot of valuable jewelry is lost and possibly Spanish artifacts, I would use a hybrid scoop small holes at bottom / end to catch small items or a 3/8 inch grid basket.

For this type of hunting, I use and highly recommend the DeGhetto T Rex stand up water scoop with a 9 to 9.5 inch wide basket. . It has a shield type tip it is ideal for sand/mud/clay bottoms. I have noticed that Gary T Dalton, who is a hard core treasure hunter for your area currently using this type of scoop.

If you need to retrieve targets near rocks, coral ledges, or have to pry a Vish Euro tip stainless steel works best. A sunspot Stealth Classic 8 with one half inch holes for fast draining with straight up 90 degree handle and 54” is ideal. It will take a little while getting used to using a straight up handle, however it is well worth the effort as it sifts faster, you have more leverage, and you can kick it along a hard pan bottom. If your sand is fine, you can get by with the sugar sand model with smaller holes on the bottom to catch ear ring studs.

I often use an earlier model Stealth 720 with a 15 inch long basket, which is no longer available, for sanded in conditions when I have to dig deep or loose the target on the first scoop. It works well in the water, especially in almost quick sand like conditions.
If I was buying a new stealth, I would look closely into the newer hybrid design which drains fast thru closely spaced one half inch holes with smaller holes at the back so that you can use it like a cup to catch small ear ring studs.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I have 2 scoops.
RTG700 BeachMaster - 5" x 9" galvanized steel scoop, 1/2" steel wire basket with kick plate, 40" handle, powder coated
RTGBB6Tip Pro - 6" dia x 11" re-enforced aluminum scoop, SS lip, 5/8 dia holes, and 40" handle

Both work well in the sand. The 6" takes MUCH bigger bites. Both weigh about the same.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a RTG stainless scoop. Havent even used it yet! Well-built though.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM with link to story I did on scoops

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the Old Miller in lakes and in the bay. The open ocean a Titanium Scoop made by a friend. (Diablo) If I were to purchase another it would be the Stealth 720, it is the closest to my scoop that I use now, Light weight (W/CF handle) and big enough to get the target on the first scoop.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small hand held one for dry sand and a Stealth 790i scoop for wet sand and water hunting. both of them work great.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Welcome aboard mate. Rileys treasure gold in Pompano has a great selection of scoops. I have had mine for almost 2 years. I recommend them anyday.

sponge using smoke signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread