Controlling Grid Search Pattern In Water (At a Beach)

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, Surf PI Pro, BeachHunter ID, Sovereign GT and Excalibur 1000 (my favorite)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anyone have any suggestions for keeping an accurate search grid when detecting in the water (like at the beach)? When I search at the beach, I head out several yards into the water then back towards shore. I then step over around six feet and repeat the process. I find it very difficult to keep my bearing (especially when heading out looking at a horizon without any reference points). I wish there was some kind of super-accurate GPS device that I could use to control my search pattern.

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in a grid sometimes but I don't worry if its not perfect. You could find something on a second pass over the same line. I hunt all types of ways. I use references on shore when I work from deep to shallow...I use the water depth when I hunt parallel...I use the tide and follow it in or out, working parallel...sometimes I zig zag. Im doing it for fun and being too technical takes the fun out for me. I know I miss stuff but I find stuff too and I always have fun.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I look towards shore, I use landmarks like different sections of the wall and tables and out in the water at the river I use the different sections of the dock to try and stay on a good grid track so to speak. If I wonder off, that's okay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread