I Just Dont Understand it.

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
I Just Don't Understand it.

Went out hunting this morning at one of my favorite beaches. Low tide was at 7am, swells were at 1 to 2 feet, water was warm, sky was clear, no people around, perfect set up to do some water and wet sand hunting. As I was going along working the surf line shortly after sunrise, I look up and I see another hunter working the dry sand. whenever I see another hunter and I don't know them I always watch them for a short time to see their hunting technique and to see what machine they are using. So I see this guy under perfect water hunting conditions hunting the dry sand using an Excalibur II. Why in the world would spend $1700 on a machine taunted as the worlds greatest water detector and use it to hunt dry sand during low tide. Based on the way he was dressed, he had no intentions of getting wet either. And, to make things worse, as the day wore on I saw 2 other hunters doing the same thing. I just don't understand it.

HH :skullflag:
Digger

Upvote 0

DrunkBrother

Jan 22, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-track, Excalibur 2 ,CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Reason 1: He was at the water mark during previous tide 12 hours ago and just want to comple the beach
Reason 2 : hew hunter trialing machine
Reason 3 : Recovery job request for a lost ring at the dry sand
Reason 4 : "Can't be F%$#d to get wet today"
Reason 5 : Competition who gets most coins/"incert item" from dry sand

Much more reasons possible why a person goes dry sand :-)

At the end of the day, he might just wanted short walk at the beach to enjoy his morning.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal is just as capable in wet/dry sand as it is in the water. I'm thinkin, that's just where he wanted to be at the time,

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Staying dry has it's advantages, for some less aggravation than getting in water. In the water you need to keep keys in dry box. It can feel easier to swing on land on land, less resistance. Some times its not practical for some to leave the beach soaking wet. Water hunting creates some unique issues that some people need to work up to.

Ugly J

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E trac X-1, SEF 8x6
Excalibur II
Equinox 800
ATX
AT pro
White's 5900 Dipro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my best finds came from the dry sand, while using my excal. Excaliburs are the hound dog's of metal detectors, I just swing real slow and wait for it to scream out gold ring. Furthermore my gut feeling dictates were I hunt ( dry, wet or water) most of the time and it has paid off real good. I like to say " I have no good luck but only gold luck".

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of my best finds came from the dry sand, while using my excal. Excaliburs are the hound dog's of metal detectors, I just swing real slow and wait for it to scream out gold ring. Furthermore my gut feeling dictates were I hunt ( dry, wet or water) most of the time and it has paid off real good. I like to say " I have no good luck but only gold luck".
Agree. My best 2 finds this year came from the dry. It's what you do when things are sanded in.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where he wanted to hunt.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there was a shark!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only paid $899.00 for my Excal so I'm allowed to hunt in the dry sand!:laughing7:

Anytime Baby!
I will take you on with my entry level single frequency and run circles around as it is light and easy to
swing. We will see who does best you with your Excal which you only paid $899.00 or my Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 with Fisher Double D coil which I have less than $200 dollars in.

We are talking about cherry picking for coins on Dry Sand with a seperation of at least 20 feet between
detectors. No cutting off or poaching the spot that either of us is going to. You EMI me by getting too close and I will throw a shower of corroded and clean zinc pennies ( broken of course) all around you , in defense. Fair is Fair, you no EMI me and I no Zinc you.

Hunt is to be on a beach, which neither of us has detected.
Winner of a cup of coffee and a pastry is determined by who has retrieved highest total based of face value of coins. Broken coins - do not count.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes folks just get tired of hunting over badly sanded in wet sand, the items lost there quickly sinking out of reach with few targets to be found. The dry sand isn't effected in this same way, most recently lost items remaining within reach for a much longer period of time. Of course this also includes all the trash.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen these people to. Just thank the metal detecting gods for them and the fact that they aren't detecting where you want to be and move on. We have one guy on Long Island that swings his Excal like a golf club, never getting the coil closer than 8" to the sand and never in the wet sand. He's happy, we're happy.

gobble-gobble

Sep 7, 2012
North Port , Florida
Detector(s) used
own, excal 1000, excal. II , explorer II, Fisher CZ21, Vibra-Tector

Sold-BHID (2), DetecorPro-PI, Fisher CZ 2o, Fisher1280, Sovereign & many other minelabs & whites detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen these people to. Just thank the metal detecting gods for them and the fact that they aren't detecting where you want to be and move on. We have one guy on Long Island that swings his Excal like a golf club, never getting the coil closer than 8" to the sand and never in the wet sand. He's happy, we're happy.

Terry, I wonder who that would be:dontknow::laughing7:
I do see him often

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to go to work after hunting being wet might not work well. I do not hunt water that early sharks hunt in low light conditions. Thanks. Happy hunting all

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He might just know his beach, whats been happening in the water, and the amount of competition lately. Move over guys..... ill hit the dry or wet sand and ive got some good finds proving it pays off. Sometimes constantly beating a dead horse out there on a small beach isnt worth it and you have to think outside the box. After awhile you get a feel for your hunting area.... if you are there enough you know if the dry sands been hunted and if the beach has been active.... as well as whats being pulled out of the water. I dont have a problem swinging the Xcal, it does a good job in the dry sand and can transition to wet sand or in the water. The long straight shaft can cover a lot of sand fast. I dont miss many recent drops with it.... and im not looking for pennies a foot deep.

Dew

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He might just know his beach, whats been happening in the water, and the amount of competition lately. Move over guys..... ill hit the dry or wet sand and ive got some good finds proving it pays off. Sometimes constantly beating a dead horse out there on a small beach isnt worth it and you have to think outside the box. After awhile you get a feel for your hunting area.... if you are there enough you know if the dry sands been hunted and if the beach has been active.... as well as whats being pulled out of the water. I dont have a problem swinging the Xcal, it does a good job in the dry sand and can transition to wet sand or in the water. The long straight shaft can cover a lot of sand fast. I dont miss many recent drops with it.... and im not looking for pennies a foot deep. Dew
I agree. The platinum ring in this photo was a dry sand find yesterday. The other 2 were wet sand. I'll take a day like that anytime

Attachments

• image-585765674.jpg
    image-585765674.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 90

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I feel this way :

There are many variables for one to consider when deciding on a particular area of beach to hunt.

At low tide,, I'm way out there, but if not finding much, I'll spend the last hour of hunting up on the dry sand.

Also, if back pain presents itself, then it's dry sand hunting.

Some of my best finds have been from dry sand hunting with the GT

Lorraine

Attachments

• Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 88

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Anytime Baby!
I will take you on with my entry level single frequency and run circles around as it is light and easy to
swing. We will see who does best you with your Excal which you only paid $899.00 or my Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 with Fisher Double D coil which I have less than $200 dollars in.

We are talking about cherry picking for coins on Dry Sand with a seperation of at least 20 feet between
detectors. No cutting off or poaching the spot that either of us is going to. You EMI me by getting too close and I will throw a shower of corroded and clean zinc pennies ( broken of course) all around you , in defense. Fair is Fair, you no EMI me and I no Zinc you.

Hunt is to be on a beach, which neither of us has detected.
Winner of a cup of coffee and a pastry is determined by who has retrieved highest total based of face value of coins. Broken coins - do not count.

WHUT? :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: You win!:icon_thumright: and you didn't even have to spend airfare!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread