Excalibur users I need help.

dirtfisherman

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Blue excal, etrac, DFX, garret pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm somewhat new to water hunting have a blue excal 1000. While water hunting I sometimes get a trace signal and have to change the sensitivity from auto to about 10 o'clock to get the signal to repeat and dig it. When I try to continue with sensitivity at 10 o'clock I get too many false signals. I usually just turn it back to auto and all is fine. should I be tuning it in using the sensitivity knob to the highest level it will tolerate? Is there any benefit to using auto sens. Or just turn the sensitivity up as high as excal can handle? Ps I hunt the ocean here in New England if anyone else cares to chime in on how high they set the sensitivity it would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should I be tuning it in using the sensitivity knob to the highest level it will tolerate? Is there any benefit to using auto sens. Or just turn the sensitivity up as high as excal can handle? .

This is the best I can explain it. The "sensitivity knob" . Think of it like the knob setting will dictate how easily it will sound off (trigger). Auto (MAX) should not be used, it would be in highest mode all the time. Even adjusted all the way down (0) it will trigger off on an item at a foot deep or more.
Each trip out you should adjust it to where you are comfortable with it triggering off or not.

I personally run mine at about 50-60% setting occasionally 75% , it is quite stable for my environment. I do not like constant false triggering. Whenever I am in the water I turn it all the way down (0) waves will trigger it off, again I like it to run stable.

Turn it up as high as you can, without false triggering. Remember all ground minerals act differently . Some places you may be able to run 80% and others 30%.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things happen when you enter the water, first the water is moving which means the mineralization within the search field is also moving, and remember, this means the "entire search field" both above and below the coil. As a result the machine processor has to work much harder at trying to maintain a stable ground balance.

When in auto sense the processor is going to find the easiest setting it can maintain, this even taking into account factors such as coil control, etc. So when you submerge the coil into the saltwater environment, especially moving saltwater and sand, then coil control also becomes a big factor in the equation. You can't get away with a reckless or "turbulent" coil motion because every little error or imperfection is magnified once you introduce all the added mineralization and turbulence into the search field.

Mr. Excavator and I both use large coils and I'm sure he'll agree that he can usually use higher manual settings and get away with a lot more error over the wet sand then he can in the water, especially moving saltwater.

I hope this made some sense. Basically, saltwater hunting requires a slower, smoother approach when in the manual mode of operation in order to achieve a higher level of performance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread