Nokta Fors CoRe Beach Review-New Detector to Consider

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta FORS CoRe Metal Detector

I had a chance to test a new detector this weekend at the beach, the Nokta Fors CoRe. The CoRe stands for Coin and Relic. While I was in Kellyco talking to Barry in the Minelab repair department one day Gene Knight offered to loan me a detector to test at the beach. He wanted to know how the Fors CoRe worked at the beach. I told Gene I would think about it and call him the next time I was going to the beach.

On researching I found the Fors CoRe has some good reviews for land hunting but I could not find any reviews for the salt beaches. I decided I was going to Daytona Beach for Labor Day so I called Gene and asked if I could take him up on his offer and I took it for a test run on Labor Day at Daytona Beach.

The Fors CoRe has both auto and manual ground balancing, it has four pre-set programs named GEN, DI2, DI3 and COG.

They are all accessed from the main menu and it is very easy to move between programs and options using the up/down switches and then moving within the programs to alter menu options using the + & - buttons

GEN is a general search mode, an all-metal mode.

DI2 is a 2-tone discrimination mode and the deepest from what I have read for land hunting, it is suppose to minimize the effect high mineralization

DI3 is a 3-tone discrimination mode, it is used when hunting areas where there are lots of different kinds of metal, and it allows more audio discrimination.

Last is the COG (Conductive Ground) mode and this is the mode I used to test at the beach. COG is designed for use on highly conductive ground such as wet salt beaches and it is suppose to ignore and not respond to ferrous targets.

First I had to ground balance the detector and it was very easy, holding in the ground balance button located on the handle, I pumped it a few times but could not get it to ground balance properly on auto, I switched to manual and adjusted the ground balance manually using the +/- keys located below the screen on the controls and it balanced very quickly and I got the beep telling me it was balanced….

Now to my surprise I found it did not false AT ALL while hunting the wet sand and in the shallow water, although it is a single freq detector using 15 kHz. I did not go deeper than about 6-12 inches because the controls are not waterproof and it was not my detector but a loaner. Even when changing from water to wet sand I did not receive and false signals which really surprised me.

Next, it did not respond to iron AT ALL. I threw several rusty bobby pins, fish hooks, nails and bolts on the wet salt ground and as I swept over them I did not get a single response.

I used my Excalibur and hunted a stretch of wet beach and marked off places where it nulled for iron, I then hunted the same area with the Notka Fors CoRi and I got no response from the nulls I marked with my Excalibur.

There are several very nice features built into the Fors CoRe.

One is it has dual LCD display and one of the LCD meters is built into the shaft above the hand grip so you do not need to look at the LCD meter on the side of the controls. The meter stays off till you pass over a target then it displaces the reading, I had no problem seeing the LCD screen in the bright sunlight.

shaft LCD.jpg

Next it has a built-in LED flashlight that shines on the coil when turned on, this is a nice feature if your hunting at night which many of us beach hunters do. Light is quite bright as well. Light switch is also built into the handgrip located just above the pinpoint trigger.

light.jpg

Next is a feature I really like, it has built in adjustable vibration on the handle, it vibrates when you pass over a target and gets stronger the closer you are to a target. You can hunt with no headphones if so desired, using just the LCD meter and the vibration in the handle. I was able to pinpoint and locate targets using this feature with no problems. Now this is a GREAT feature to have….

fors-core-vib.jpg

It runs on 4 AA batteries that are easy to replace. I obviously did not have a chance to run it long enough to test battery life.

The only con I found using the Fors CoRI was the stock coil for me is small. I like using larger coils, especially at the beach, the stock coils is 7”x11”

Over all I was impressed with this detector and I would recommend this detector for people who do not live at the beach, but would like the ability to hunt coins and relics and still be able to hunt the beach on vacations and do not want to invest in a detector designed strictly for the beach. Everything I have read in reviews on land has been positive and my tests shows it will operate with no issues on the salt-water beach I was on..….

The Nokta Fors CoRe is a very well built detector, does not look or feel cheap, it is lightweight, and it has some amazing features built in. Nokta may be a metal detector manufacture to keep an eye on..If I think of anything I missed I will add it to this review...(Note I did not take my camera out on the beach so the pictures are stock pictures.)

Attachments

• ebay-fors-core-flashlight.jpg
    ebay-fors-core-flashlight.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Innovative for sure! No salt water near me, and I do like that vibrating handle. Kellyco cheap end is $999, could probably do a little better elsewhere - but it's unlikely dealers will have much stock for a bit.

And, what the heck did you find?

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately found no gold or silver with any of my detectors. I found coins, junk jewelry with the Fors, some of it was deep. Same thing with my excal, nothing good just coins, junk jewelry and some fishing weights....

I really liked the fors core, it would be a good all around detector with some really nice features, I really love the vibration feature and the built in LED flashlight is a nice feature too... I hunted with the Fors for 4 hours on one low tide and switched to excal for next low tide so I could get into the water waist deep.

I met a hunter there I have ran into several times in past, he was using a new CTX 3030. He found a Rolex last year and sold it for $2800 and used the funds to fund the 3030. He didn't have any luck with gold either......

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I use a good bright Flashlight, it Eats Batteries
Most Detectors I've used also seem to eat Batteries.

Does the Detector Flashlight run off the same Battery source as the Detector ?
if so it may limit it's time without a Back up on hand.

I wonder if they found a way around that.

(of course I've always had bad luck with flash Lights
and always use rechargeable batteries in detectors
)

Just Thinking Out loud :laughing7:

Cool you got to test one though :thumbsup:

Last edited:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vibe is a cool feature for sure...

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vibe is a cool feature for sure...
The vibe is a great feature, I hunted with no headphones and loved it. There was no threshold in COG mode either, the vibe worked on even tiny targets.. Closer you get to target the stronger and faster the vibe operated.

The LED light is a feature I would use at night myself. Fors CoRe runs on 4 AA batteries with a battery life of 25-30 hours from what I have read. If it ate 1/3 of the power of the batteries I would still get at least 16 hours on a set of only 4 AAs. There is optional rechargeable battery available.

Check out some of the other reviews on it, this detector is a competitor. If I was looking for a new detector to cover a lot of different terrains I would certainly consider this one.. It has just come out, I believe we will hear more about Fors CoRe and other detectors by Fors....

Your right Jeff it was nice to be able to play with new detector. ounce it cools off here some I think I will ask if I can test it in some parks....

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wander if it's suitable for general picker hunting? May have to pose this question to the picker hunters.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wander if it's suitable for general picker hunting? May have to pose this question to the picker hunters.
Do a google search, there are land reviews on it. It is designed for coin and relic hunting, but the beach mod is also nice as long as your not wading deep as controls are not waterproof. It never false on me in the wet sand or in shallow water and I was digging coins....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread