Modified my Excalibur ll

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Modified my Excalibur ll last night with gray ghost Amphibian headphones and I love it, thank you:thankyou: to Joe oldbeechnut for sending me the kit... took it out today to test it out and everything is a ok.. I found this 1946 silver quarter no gold today but tomorrow is another day.....:cool:

Attachments

• 33E4R5.png
    33E4R5.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 1123.png
    1123.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 140
  • HJGFTR647.png
    HJGFTR647.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 140
  • qu.png
    qu.png
    124 KB · Views: 152
  • qu3.png
    qu3.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not dogging you out boxing, but I just don't understand the need to replace the factory headphones. Unless of course, they went bad on you?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Grey Ghost are far superior to stock headphones. They are far more comfortable, less outside noise and volume controls. .... I have 2 excals and both have the amphibian headphones....

OP
OP
BOXING63

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The original head phones went bad and I thank its the best thing that happen cause the gray ghost amphibian they are much better then the stock head phones....8-)

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
Is this a tough do it your self? Or does the detector needs to be sent in for the change?

OP
OP
BOXING63

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
it not a hard process very simple... check out Joe oldbeechnut video grey ghost amphibians for the minelab Excalibur ll

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Boxer, you can use the old endcap and purchase the GGA's from detector pro, Gary Storm will set you up with all you need. Or you can send them to Kellyco, to Dave or Barry, they do great work. I am considering just doing the Kits this year so I will be referring all who ask to them for repairs and most of the mods. Have to give them a call because the only one they can't do yet is the coil change endcap, but if they have a supplier I'm sure they will be doing that one also. I enjoy hunting, experimenting and testing, and if some one else is doing the mods I would rather be hunting then Modding, and they can help all I promised mods to come dec... Love this Hobby!

And nice work Boxer!! Love the old Silver and the Crusty casting...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Boxer, you can use the old endcap and purchase the GGA's from detector pro, Gary Storm will set you up with all you need. Or you can send them to Kellyco, to Dave or Barry, they do great work. I am considering just doing the Kits this year so I will be referring all who ask to them for repairs and most of the mods. Have to give them a call because the only one they can't do yet is the coil change endcap, but if they have a supplier I'm sure they will be doing that one also. I enjoy hunting, experimenting and testing, and if some one else is doing the mods I would rather be hunting then Modding, and they can help all I promised mods to come dec... Love this Hobby!

And nice work Boxer!! Love the old Silver and the Crusty casting...

I am sure if you shared the info on the end caps Barry and Dave could do them. Dave trained Barry and Dave is an electronic wizzard....Barry does great work[emoji106]

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Grey Ghost are far superior to stock headphones. They are far more comfortable, less outside noise and volume controls. .... I have 2 excals and both have the amphibian headphones....

I hunt for hours at a time, and I have never had a problem with the stock headphones being uncomfortable? Also, I can hear every sound with no problems - Maybe I just have supersonic hearing?

OP
OP
BOXING63

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im with you on this one I also have supersonic hearing lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt for hours at a time, and I have never had a problem with the stock headphones being uncomfortable? Also, I can hear every sound with no problems - Maybe I just have supersonic hearing?
If you ever try them you will see what we mean...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pair of grey ghost older ones on my ctx. 3030 are the new grey ghost better ?
Yes they are, I also have a pair of the old Gray Ghost...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a pair of grey ghost older ones on my ctx. 3030 are the new grey ghost better ?

Better but they do not meet my standards for the CTX other then comfort. One reason I bought a CTX to make a better set of headphones for it, have a few sets out testing right now with CTX hunters, one is a diver and has about 24 hours under and they still work great..he dives in the area of 10 feet with the CTX...these have the same audio speakers as the Black Windows, Sunray Pro Golds... BY far the best for the CTX. I also have one set out using the same speakers as the old rat phones..richer audio.. stay tuned.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Boxing63

Im with you on this one I also have supersonic hearing lol

All you hear is Gold Buddy!! Old Gold!

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I had Barry modify my excal with the amphibian grey ghost phones and I had to learn some new sounds which threw me off for a while. The null was really changed as was the bottlecap sound.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had Barry modify my excal with the amphibian grey ghost phones and I had to learn some new sounds which threw me off for a while. The null was really changed as was the bottlecap sound.

A null is a null, it is absent of threshold not a sound. I'm using the Amphibians for me it was rather simple....

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I don't care for much about my amphibian headphones is the sound quality.. Not a very wide range of sounds to allow reading a probable target in detail.
Maybe it's just because I had the sounds of my stock headphones so well learned and my amphibians are fairly new to me.
I think what general meant by null was that growling sound non-ferrous objects give on the stock phones

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions