Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someone tell it is ok. I had this thing for a while. I put the coil in water, a bit up the pole but can't bring myself to put the main guts into the water. It will be fine right. just dunk the whole darn thing? :) I know this is wild but I love this sucker and the thought of underwater on all its part is scary.

I can't bring myself to submerge it :tongue3:

Upvote 0

Scrammer

Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used some divers grease on all the fittings (headphone, battery and coil) but then took the plunge. Loved it. Great for the two hot days a year we get up here in Buffalo. I also took it all the way under at Virginia Beach.

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1, 2, 3, dunk. that's what it was design for. Good luck

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks all. I am smiling big time cause I can't seem to bring myself to do it, yet I know it is designed for it. THANX

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im on the fourth year with mine and I keep it submerged for hours at a time. I don't put any grease or sealer anywhere except the battery door o ring. I was like you though...it was scary putting that LCD screen underwater the first time but that's what its designed for.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea it is designed for it so the plunge is going to happen very soon :)
I got my fingers crossed. thanks for the info. will be doing a bit of greasing up also.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used mine with the console under water since I bought it last year. The only thing I do different since I sent it back in for repairs is I don't do any ground balance or use the pin point button when the console is under water. I just wiggle the coil until I lose the tone and bring it back to the sound and scoop up my target. GL & HH. It can pick a good target out of multiple trash targets in pro zero mode and no discrimination.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pretty nervous about dunking my AT Pro too but I took the plunge, lol.... It worked as advertised and I've been using it for two summers now and the only problem I ran into was the pinpoint button got stuck after I pressed it down and I had to use my finger nail to pull it back up. I guessed it must have been sand that was causing the problem so I started up my air compressor and pressed down the pinpoint button and blew out the sand. It's been working perfectly since then. Best of luck to you!!!

DANGLANGLEY

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes when I'm really digging deep and focusing on the target it'd float away if not for the headphones!

It's bouncy is actually really good, however it should not be used as a flotation device.

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My cz21 has never been fully submerged after almost 3 years of use, and I know I'm missing out on some good stuff. I bought it used, and the rubber gasket looks good,but... And there are the instuctions in owners manual to not overtighten the screws to battery compartment. Well it's easy to not overtighten, but are they actually tight enough?

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great underwater info everyone! It sure helps me alot!

ctbob, you got that 'but' in your mind. I know that feeling LOL

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Thanks for the great underwater info everyone! It sure helps me alot!

ctbob, you got that 'but' in your mind. I know that feeling LOL

It was a cool feeling laying my detector on the sea floor. I was snorkelling in about 5 ft. I layed it on the bottom and just marveled at my treasure finding machine. Its me and you sharky, lets go get it.

sponge using smoke signals.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a limb saver sling to keep up with my at/pro in the water and it leaves my hands free for whatever I'm doing. Also keeps me from dropping in on land and damaging it. I don't have to wonder about where it's at or if it's bumping into somebody or getting lost and I just swap the sling around from side to side to use one arm for 30 minutes swinging the coil and then the other. Swapping hands with the scoop helps out too. Balances the work instead of wearing out one side of my fragile disabled body. It probably doesn't matter to younger or healthier members, but you have to adapt strategies when you have age or disability concerns. Gl & HH.

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My AT PRO took on water when submerged less than 12 inches. Garrett replaced it and had it back to me (in Germany) the very next week!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used mine in submerged in the water a few times, with no headohones, the last time i did, i noticed i didnt even have a plug to cover my headphone jack

You should be good, and as mentioned, Garrett will take care of ANY problems you have

Good luck!

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered about that headphone connection. nice to hear it can go under with that open. thanks!

ODA, that is what scares me. you got the one that didn't make it. I hate the thought of repair/send off and all that mess.

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was worried about the cover to. I contacted garrett and they sent me a new cover, CS is awesome. I too was afraid of the Dunk, I was in lake Michigan, a wave went over me and my ATP. since then it has been wet more than dry. I was really worried about it, but why did I buy a water detector? Now I have to find a stronger water scoop, yeah I bent mine already.:dontknow:
Take the plunge now before it's too late, the ATP simply is a awesome machine in the water and on land.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, next chance it is going under. I am going for it cause after all like ya said, it is a water machine :)

thanks everyone. I feel more secure in my underwater adventure coming!!

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Absolute worst thing that could happen, is that use have to use the warranty. Which from what I have dealt with their Customer Service(A new cover for the headphone jack) and others I have read about, can't be beat. Get out there, get in the water and SMILE!!! HH and Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread