possible diamond in ring - lets speculate

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
possible diamond in ring - let's speculate

A small mix of clad and piece of a harmonica which I always like, but my very first target was the ring. It was a low tone on the sovereign gt whereas I usually get a higher tone for gold (if that means anything to you).
when I saw there was no hallmark I was thinking it was junk - after all, look at the setting on it (not so nice).
But, I believe it tested at 10k on the acid test. On closer inspection there seems to be a worn off yellow tint especially on the underside of setting. There was little or no corrosion and the band was nice and smooth on the inside.
It appears to have been enlarged at some point.
The kicker is that it tested positive for about a half carat diamond with my DSII diamond tester.
Any thoughts on this? It seems relatively old but the setting isnt so nice.

ForumRunner_20140912_135257.png

ForumRunner_20140912_135315.png

ForumRunner_20140912_135331.png

ForumRunner_20140912_135349.png

Upvote 0

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that familiar with diamond testers, is your able to test for mossiniant(sp?).

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Not that familiar with diamond testers, is your able to test for mossiniant(sp?).

No it doesn't but it seems the setting/style isn't modern enough for moissanite, but I'm no expert.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's a very pretty ring, DonKarlos; looks to be 10K.

Nice find!

Lorraine

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
It's a very pretty ring, DonKarlos; looks to be 10K.

Nice find!

Lorraine

Thanks! After studying it some more, I think the bottom half of the band got swapped with gold, or slightly different gold when it got resized (hence no halmark).
Here is a similar ring on google search for "antique half carat ring"

Any idea on why the low-tone? Sounded like a nickel

ForumRunner_20140912_160804.png

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an older style or perhaps a European design ring. If no tarnishing then it may well be white gold. Get an opinion from a reputable jeweler to be absolutely sure. The stone looks to be 1/4 to 1/2 carat. I'd be doin the happy dance if it had been me.

WTG

Nice haul

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Thanks I'm pretty pleased - I've never found much besides gold rings and only a few of those.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run the old style sov xs 2apro as far as that low tone, I've hit gold on both of the low nickel and the hi dime sound I would imagine it has to do with the mixture of metal with the specific item or the mass itself, sprinkle in some ground conditions, some of my best recoveries have been those weird sounding ones that you mentally question digging. Nice ring though real or not.

powered by pull tabs

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice! Hope it's real!

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice ring with a lot of workmanship it looks real to me

Seaweednh

Feb 3, 2007
Newbury, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low tone comes in on smaller gold rings, just a hair different from a nickel.

I personally wouldn't trust your diamond tester. At it's retail price I can't see it being accurate. I've had two diamond testers so far, $130 and a $269 tester. There is a big difference in consistency and how accurate they are.

Good find by the way, I'd be very happy with that ring.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simple explanation:
Gold is alloyed with other metals for hardness and color.
a 10K ring is 41.67% Gold and 58.33% something else.
As you gold looks light (bleached in color) that something else is most likely mostly nickle.

Another white ish 10K ring of same dimnensions may come in at a very high pitched tone indicating
that the alloy is mainly silver.

a similar rose colored 10K ring will come in closer to a pure copper penny as it is mostly copper.

I have had 14 K mid size mens rings sound exactly like a zinc penny
You got it the alloy is mostly zinc.

The above explanation is for clean mens wedding bands.

The more complex answer is that the tone is mostly determined by metal that was used as an alloy plus
The size of the ring, shape of the ring, and depth of the ring, also effect the tone.

You most likely did not get a crisp tone like a coin as the surface of the ring is irregular plus it has ice.
It will sound differently as you sweep over it from different directions.

Also smaller size rings tend to have deeper tones.

Likewise the depth of the ring will also effect the tone.
If there are nearby target under your coil you can get a blended tone of the two metals.

Just dig everthing that beeps and you should do well.

Thanks! After studying it some more, I think the bottom half of the band got swapped with gold, or slightly different gold when it got resized (hence no halmark).
Here is a similar ring on google search for "antique half carat ring"

Any idea on why the low-tone? Sounded like a nickel

Just keep it simple and enjoy what you find.
There is no need to test anything unless you will be selling it.
Out of curiosity I do look at the markings on a ring to determine Karat for gold of percent purity for silver and platinum. Other than that, I don't, unless is has a large stone which could be worth big bucks.
Then its time to have it looked at by professional jewlers - never let the ring get out of your sight as the stones could be swapped!

View attachment 1052146

Last edited:
OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
The simple explanation:
As you gold looks light (bleached in color) that something else is most likely mostly nickle.

Another white ish 10K ring of same dimnensions may come in at a very high pitched tone indicating

a similar rose colored 10K ring will come in closer to a pure copper penny as it is mostly copper.

The more complex answer is that the tone is mostly determined by metal that was used as an alloy plus
The size of the ring, shape of the ring, and depth of the ring, also effect the tone.

You most likely did not get a crisp tone like a coin as the surface of the ring is irregular plus it has ice.

If there are nearby target under your coil you can get a blended tone of the two metals.

Excellent. That make a lot of sense - why it sounded like nickel. I appreciate it.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
The simple explanation:

Thats why I run a pi. Yea buddy

sponge using smoke signals.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can have just as much fun as you are having with your PI by digging all beeps which may be non ferrous targets as well as all nulls for ferrous targets while in the discrimination mode with my Excalibur or just switch to all metal mode for only one tone.

For even more fun and ear torture, I can switch to a CTX 3030 with the discrimination wide open which allows me to hear and seperate the different tones for ferrous targets and non ferrorus targets (two) under the search coil at the same time.

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I can have just as much fun as you are having with your PI by digging all beeps which may be non ferrous targets as well as all nulls for ferrous targets while in the discrimination mode with my Excalibur or just switch to all metal mode for only one tone.

For even more fun and ear torture, I can switch to a CTX 3030 with the discrimination wide open which allows me to hear and seperate the different tones for ferrous targets and non ferrorus targets (two) under the search coil at the same time.

What I like about the PI is I can take the ferrous objects to the recycling plant. Its still a win for me buddy

sponge using smoke signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread