Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like water hunting. I mostly do summer freshwater when its warm enough not to cause significant shrinkage of my wee nutties, but I would also love to extend my season both Fall and Spring. I'm also a PADI diver, but never had a drysuit. If I get into winter saltwater hunting, should I get a drysuit? What do you hardcore folks do? In my opinion, I could do a wetsuit, but would not be able to stay in the water as long as a nice drysuit with thermals under it.

Any advice or opinions here would really be welcome.

Upvote 0

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help, all I know is that there a little pricey.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HUNT NEW ENGLAND WATERS YEAR ROUND - I WEAR A 7MM 2 PIECE WITH 7MM GLOVES AND 7MM BOOTS - I USUALLY GET TIRED BEFORE I GET COLD
BUT WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT - I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO USE A DRY SUIT BECAUSE IM ON MEDS WHERE I HAVE TO GO EVERY HOUR AND MY DRY SUIT WOULD BECOME A WET SUIT - WHEN I WAS YOUNGER - HEARD OF A FEW GUYS GETTING SLICES IN THEIR DRY SUITS AND THEY FILLED RIGHT UP - ONE GUY DROWNED - OTHER BARELY MADE IT - SO NOT FOR ME

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'LL SEND YOU A LINK TO SOME ARTICLES IVE WRITEN - HAVE ONE OR TWO ON COLD WATER HUNTING

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I HUNT NEW ENGLAND WATERS YEAR ROUND - I WEAR A 7MM 2 PIECE WITH 7MM GLOVES AND 7MM BOOTS - I USUALLY GET TIRED BEFORE I GET COLD

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, Casper. Sounds like a quality wetsuit and gear is the way to go. And thank you so much for the articles!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been detecting in the water since '92 and now I wear either a swim suit or breathable waders in the summer, a 5mil pair of waders in the winter and a wet suit as conditions dictate (sun, surf, singy-thingies). I also have a dry suit and it is very nice in the winter if the surf is a bit rough for waders or I want to get that extra 3-4 inches of depth without getting wet. I just do not have the -what ever it takes- to get changed from a wet suit to dry clothes when the temperature is in the low 30sF. Again as with detectors, no one product does-it-all. Here, with personal protection, it comes down to personal preference and not which is "best".

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Minnesota and a diver - I am dry suit certified, though I won't wear one. They are to cumbersome and no matter what your wear underneath - you still freeze. A good wetsuit will get you into late fall and early spring. FYI - Casper, they do make a "pee port" for dry suits - it's a condom with a little hose and one way valve.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Minnesota and a diver - I am dry suit certified, though I won't wear one. They are to cumbersome and no matter what your wear underneath - you still freeze. A good wetsuit will get you into late fall and early spring. FYI - Casper, they do make a "pee port" for dry suits - it's a condom with a little hose and one way valve.

Holy carp, you need to find someone to show you a good drysuit / undies combo! I have never gone back to thick wetsuits since I got my drysuit.

PS the urination drains are called "p-valves".

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy carp, you need to find someone to show you a good drysuit / undies combo! I have never gone back to thick wetsuits since I got my drysuit.

100% :thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a firm believer in drysuits, If your cold in a drysuit then something is wrong. I can go out to chest deep for hours in 36 degrees waters and still be toasty, the only issue I had was keeping my hands warm but I solved that with some good gloves which limits me to about chest deep because of the design, and they are very flexible. Can pick up the smallest items, which is a problem with neoprene gloves. I have a light drysuit I wear early summer or late , which protects me from any bacteria, jelly fish, and it is a quick in and out and I'm dry...Winter I wear the heavy duties, nothing better then being dry...when the water is in the 30's....The only thing I have yet to over come is the winds when it is cold..

Out in 36 degree waters, feb...airtemp was a good day..in the 50's, rare but nice to slip out and hunt during the winter

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wore a Bare dry suit - one of the best out there, I was told? I had thermal under wear and gloves. (I'm from Minnesota, I think I know how to dress for cold) - Try working out in 50 below wind-chill sometime. I went in the water 36 degrees, my fingers were numb and my lips were so cold I couldn't keep my regulator in my mouth. I dive for fun, and that was not fun - so no more dry suit for me.

TwistedElvis

Aug 4, 2014
Sunny San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minilab CTX 3030 / Excalibur II 1000 / Tesoro Sand Shark / Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are going to spend any amount of time in cold water go with a dry suit.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
It took me a few years to find the right combo of keeping warm in cold waters and that really is above water, chest deep. I would have no clue how to keep ones face warm in the water. I do know the neoprene gloves were useless below 40 for extended periods of time for me. Also found I needed to buy bigger dive boots just for cold waters because I needed to wear neoprene sox's along with thermo wool sox's to keep the feet warm. Then regular long johns with a quilted type of underwear and with a good base layer of Synthetic under ware. Seems my main body is fine with just the quilted underwear, and the good base layer. Been looking at DUI zipseal gloves for one of my drysuits, but for right now using Atlas 282's that I modded with a old military drysuits sleeves. As far as the head, working on a neoprene hood for those windy days which I hate but when the right conditions open up weather should not make a difference. They will have the headphone intrigued into the hood. Here is a pic of the first attempt, perfect for those early windy spring days. But will be a full hood.

OBN0157.jpg

some of the goods

OBN0122.jpg

One of my favorite work drysuits, got off of ebay for 150.oo

Msd900L.jpg

And a good price..with no leaks.

OBN0001 (7).jpg

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Geeez you guys are hardcore. Save your money on cold water gear.. Move to Florida!
Anything out there in the line of shark proof?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy do you need to pee much its difficult in a dry suit neoprene should do it

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wore a Bare dry suit - one of the best out there, I was told? I had thermal under wear and gloves. (I'm from Minnesota, I think I know how to dress for cold) - Try working out in 50 below wind-chill sometime. I went in the water 36 degrees, my fingers were numb and my lips were so cold I couldn't keep my regulator in my mouth. I dive for fun, and that was not fun - so no more dry suit for me.

IF you can dive in heavy neoprene you can dive much warmer in a drysuit. All thermals are not the same and drysuit diving is NOT walking around on the surface in a bunch of layers. There are lots of different designs and constructions of drysuits too. BARE does make nice stuff but that doesn't mean you in the appropriate BARE drysuit. Cold hands means you didn't have drygloves and need them. Cold lips will happen regardless of what suit you wear, so you can't blame that on a drysuit.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you can dive in heavy neoprene you can dive much warmer in a drysuit. All thermals are not the same and drysuit diving is NOT walking around on the surface in a bunch of layers. There are lots of different designs and constructions of drysuits too. BARE does make nice stuff but that doesn't mean you in the appropriate BARE drysuit. Cold hands means you didn't have drygloves and need them. Cold lips will happen regardless of what suit you wear, so you can't blame that on a drysuit.

Yeah = I'll leave that dry-suit diving to you guys, I'll stick with the other suggestion In this thread and move to Florida!!! Keep Warm!!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only if ya don't look like a beached orca in it :) :)

I do warm things. I won't (any time soon) be doing cold water situations, but if I did, YES I WOULD invest in good clothing/accessories to make my hunting safe and enjoyable.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only concern with the drysuit is the cost. Wicked. However, a drysuit would be most-handy to change out of when the day is done. Decisions decisions! :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread