What is the best footwear?

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summer time, I use a pair of my old fly fishing boots, with a neopren sock. Works fine. colder water temps , I use a pair of booted chest wader,s.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to your local dive shop and buy you a par of dive boots !!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no problems with sand in the boots until I hunt ruff ocean waters then I have to resort to the below

Boot foot waders but your limited on how far you can venture out.

Dive boots with 3mm neoprene sox's but will not keep the sand out 100% if you hunt a ruff water beach. The sox's will protect your feet and toes from the constant rubbing.

My sox foot waders and my drysuits do have straps at the bottom of the cuffs and pull tight enough to keep out most of the sand. Pulls down over the boots and tightens.

Those are some great prices on the NRS but they look like medium sole bottoms, make sure you don't have to walk on small to large rocks or you will regret. Best are hard sole boots, I like the felt bottom but NRS stopped making those...2 lower are hard sole, one upper is med..duty sole

OBN0308.jpg

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just hunt bare foot. I move quick.. Like a gazelle! No sand irritates my hoofs.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Felt soles are on the way out as they cross contaminated ponds with algae and snails, just like moving a boat from one lake to another without proper cleaning.

I use the hard sole dive booties with a pair of fluffy socks on. Any sand that gets into the boot will not bother a socked foot. Thin nylon sock do not work well for me; nor do the heavy cotton athletic socks.

Another trick to keep sand out it to put an elastic elbow support over the meeting area of your bare leg and over the top of the bootie.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could just do the stereotypical thing and wear black socks with sandals!

Mike

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Casper. NRS has been making rugged waterboots for years for rafters and professional divers. They make the best working UW boots I ever had. Very rugged, comfortable and warm.

That said, you guys who hunt in warm water and sandy places are lucky. I fight broken glass, shells, sharp rocks and leeches every time I go out.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Casper. NRS has been making rugged waterboots for years for rafters and professional divers. They make the best working UW boots I ever had. Very rugged, comfortable and warm. That said, you guys who hunt in warm water and sandy places are lucky. I fight broken glass, shells, sharp rocks and leeches every time I go out.

I grew up in NY and lived in MA for 7 years so I feel your pain. You can move to Florida too and hunt the warm water beaches. Trade those gray skies and snow for some sunshine and palm trees!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. Ditto. Never any problems.

STEP ON A FEW JELLYFISH - STINGRAYS OR HORSE CRABS AMONG OTHER THINGS - I HAVE A FEW BEACHES LOADED WITH CRABS THAT WILL ATTACK YOUR FEET AND ANKLES - I GOT A VERY LARGE HORSHOE CRAB TAIL RIGHT UP INTO MY ARCH WHEN I WAS YOUNGER - NEVER WENT BARE FOOT AGAIN
I WEAR THEN EVEN WHEN IM SWIMMING IN SALTWATER

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hunt bare foot. I move quick.. Like a gazelle! No sand irritates my hoofs.

When I first started I went barefoot, after discovering what is in that beach sand I started wearing protection. I have dug up filet knives point up, broken bottles, hypo needles, large brass screws, large treble hooks (dug because there was lead attached) water soak wood with nails, razor blades and that is just the man made dangers I can think of....

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:

weeds

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2014
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
at pro
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started I went barefoot, after discovering what is in that beach sand I started wearing protection. I have dug up filet knives point up, broken bottles, hypo needles, large brass screws, large treble hooks (dug because there was lead attached) water soak wood with nails, razor blades and that is just the man made dangers I can think of....
do you really think a water shoe will protect you from the above? esp. filet knives or hypo needles? rubber soles do not seem to offer much protection from these items.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you really think a water shoe will protect you from the above? esp. filet knives or hypo needles? rubber soles do not seem to offer much protection from these items.
I'm not talking the cheap flimsy soft water boots, my water boots have hard sole bottoms with arch supports.

weeds

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2014
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
at pro
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what kind are they? just interested,,,,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what kind are they? just interested,,,,
They are in my van and I'm too lazy to go look right now, but I believe they are Oceanic...

Do a google search for "dive boots hard soles arch support", there are multiple makers....

OP
OP
W

wglace

Greenie
Feb 25, 2014
Port Charlotte, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
I'll try em

Thanks for the replies. Just ordered a pair of high top dive boots. My main concern is keeping the sand out. While wading barefoot the other day I didn't give any thought to the creepy-crawlies or fish hooks, glass and assorted other trash available to enable a trip to the ER.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One quick tip is bring your pin pointer when shopping for detecting footwear. These days, many boots/shoes now have a band of metal in them that is not otherwise obvious. I have had problems detecting my feet, when the detector coil is too close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread