excalibur ii 1 piece carbon fiber straight shaft

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own straight shaft for my excalibur. Purchased 72 inch carbon fiber shaft on ebay for $54 shipped. For the coil end I put a 3 inch epoxy filled plug in the end and drilled thru so the shaft will be waterproof and there is no metal on the coil end. I also put a 3 inch epoxy filled plug at the location of the handle and another at the arm cuff. Also the epoxy plug gives the shaft some resistance to crushing where the handle is attached. For the arm cuff I used a piece of 4" pvc and 2 1/4" stainless bolts thru the shaft. I like the button clip attachments for the battery and control so I removed them from the original shaft and drilled holes in the cf shaft for them. This is the only place any water can get inside the shaft and of course it cant go past the epoxy plug at the arm cuff. I put a removable end plug at the top to let any water that gets in drain out. I cut the shaft down so it is 62" overall. I cant believe what a difference it makes in the balance and handling. The shaft actually tries to float somewhat when its mostly submerged so you actually have to put a little effort into holding it down but you dont even notice after a while.

sorry about the pictures. took with my phone and dont know how to turn them the right way.

IMG_1440 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very clean, :thumbsup: makes me want to do something to mine.

OP
OP
metalhealth

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only thing i dont like is where the coil connects to the shaft. the shaft by itself is a pretty tight fit. probably about 1/16" clearance. i had gotten some thin rubber washers to put on each side to give some resistance to the coil moving but it was too tight of a fit. so i ended up just putting a couple wraps of electric tape to make it snug. i think im going to sand the sides of the shaft flat at the bottom to make room for the washers. unless anyone has a better idea. also im going to add a piece of foam pad inside the arm cuff.

Last edited:

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally want to do this. I scrapped the shaft from my 1280 and added it onto the excal to test the balance. It's so much better with the unit above the elbow. I want to do the carbon fiber mod as well and have the ends 3D printed. I can do the design but nobody does the printing here on island. That being said I don't know if I can get a 6 foot long piece sent in the mail overseas either. Definitely on the list though. Great job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread