dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My turn to rant now. Yesterday morning I headed out to Clearwater beach to hunt the water after the weekend power boat race. No surprise to me there were quite a few hunters in the water including me but what I thought was an unusual amount of dry sand hunters too. I even saw a large group of women hunting too.

After hunting the water and when low tide had arrived I moved to the wet sand. By the time I was done I started to head back to the car which took me across the Hilton beach area where I found/saw a bunch of holes dug with the article or piece of trash laying on top of each pile of sand that was dug up. Whom ever is doing this needs to learn to take the trash with them! and, then cover up the hole they made. I have no idea who is doing this but if you make the effort to dig the hole at least pick up the trash and cover the hole. Don't put the trash back in the hole! Take it with you and discard it later.

I wish I had a camera with me so you'all could see what I'm talking about. It's obvious and ridiculous! People who stumble upon the little holes with trash laying next to them know exactly who is doing this. US the metal detectorists. I makes this hobby look bad. SO QUIT DOING IT!
DC

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all we can do is actively watch for detectorists doing this and then kindly explain to them why they need to pick up there trash and fill in there holes, they might be newbs that dont know better and will change there habits after we explain things to them?
if that doesnt work, go ahead and knock them out!!!!!:laughing7:

chuck.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bust people for doing that every chance I get. That is total BS. We should start a thread with photos of these deadbeats.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im with all of you on this topic. I do my best to keep our beautiful state clean. Hell when I use to smoke all my cig butts went in my pocket. How to approach this problem is a tricky one. Some people just dont care. Its the all about me attitude once again. Man I hope this hobby dosent get banned. Thats like telling me I cant fish anymore. Hell they are already telling people that on the west coast. Fill yer holes and take yer find.
Yeah, when they catch someone violating a fishing law, they don't ban fishing, they give the individual a ticket. Detectorist are a small group and don't put nearly the amount of money into the economy that fisherman do. They just say no more detecting...not fair but it is what it is.

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We fish at a spillway off the bank and the only place to park is on the edge of a business driveway. They have never said anything about people parking there. The other day someone cleaned their car out of trash and left it IN their driveway. My dad picked up their trash, cussing whoever did it out loud. How stupid does someone have to be to do something like that. It wouldn't hurt me to knock someone like that out...in fact that's probably the only thing that would get their attention...O K Im mad again now. :angry9:

LD
If you see who's doing it I'll bend down behind them and you could push them over my back like at the playground. That would be more humiliating to them. Think old school brother!
Happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LD
If you see who's doing it I'll bend down behind them and you could push them over my back like at the playground. That would be more humiliating to them. Think old school brother!
Happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
I like the way you think.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love a good rant, especially when it is so true/accurate/right on. I hate to say it, but ya cannot fix stupid. There is no excuse for gofer holes or leaving junk. It is so easy and simple to be a good neighbor. Hopefully, one day one of these chuckleheads leave their vehicle lights on all day and the only one with jumper cables at dusk is "one of us good guys

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love a good rant, especially when it is so true/accurate/right on. I hate to say it, but ya cannot fix stupid. There is no excuse for gofer holes or leaving junk. It is so easy and simple to be a good neighbor. Hopefully, one day one of these chuckleheads leave their vehicle lights on all day and the only one with jumper cables at dusk is "one of us good guys
Bad things happen to bad people.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah, when they catch someone violating a fishing law, they don't ban fishing, they give the individual a ticket. Detectorist are a small group and don't put nearly the amount of money into the economy that fisherman do. They just say no more detecting...not fair but it is what it is.

If you're not breaking any laws what they say means squat. Thats why we have laws.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bust people for doing that every chance I get. That is total BS. We should start a thread with photos of these deadbeats.
Best idea yet. A Treasurenet "Wall of Shame" for dirtbag detectorists! I challenge everyone to take a photo of the scumbags they see doing this. Whether detecting or not, people that leave their trash (wherever) should face a stiff fine at minimum.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Back in the 1970's, we called then the Dirty Diggers. We'd find the same thing in parks and have to listen to the groundskeepers "Gripe" about it. Boat Party people are just as bad, they'll find a secluded bay or lagoon and party it up, punch holes in their empty beer cans and toss them into the water or toss an empty beer bottle to sink along with the pull tabs and bottle caps. At least the detectorist who find such spots usually reaps some nice finds and if a ranger or deputy comes by, all they have to do is peer into my floating sifting box and see the layer of garbage I've gleamed off the bottom and I tell them it'll be disposed of properly. I introduced a friend to the hobby last year and he was pulling that stunt until I pointed out his error and stopped doing it. I told him that was what the apron is for: one pocket for trash and the other for change. Rings go into your pocket. We have to guard our hobby or we'll lose it for certain.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great post keep it going and I like the hall of shame idea.

I'm in the water most of the time and the holes fill up quick with the movement of the water. But on dry I always fill the holes out of common courtsey and for the safety of others.

Once people start getting hurt or complain of the holes more areas will become off limits to Metal Detecting.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not breaking any laws what they say means squat. Thats why we have laws.
Tell that to the "no detecting" signs...the signs don't listen very well. :laughing7:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tell that to the "no detecting" signs...the signs don't listen very well. :laughing7:

If there is a sign on public property, there could be an ordnance. Maybe not. Either way, you need to know the law.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a sign on public property, there could be an ordnance. Maybe not. Either way, you need to know the law.
Yeah, I know what your saying. Just because someone tells you something isn't allowed, doesn't make it true. Ive had plenty of people tell me something wasn't allowed when I knew it was...always check it out for yourself.

CLWCRACKER

Greenie
Jan 5, 2013
clearwater FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Series
I hunt Clw beach. If I see it I will defiantly say something. I have noticed a lot of holes sometimes.
I fill them in and pick up all the trash I see. I'm 4th generation Clw. It makes me sick to see how bad the beach has gotten.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread