Hookahs Gas vs 12V DC - Which is better and why?

dlt123me

Sep 18, 2014
Newberg Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I am interested in the concept of a Hookah for diving in shallower waters. In all the posts and threads I've read here, there is little mention of which is a better technology for powering a Hookah and why.

I see that the gas engine could run longer than the 12V DC power, but other than that, is there any good reasons for getting one over the other.

I agree that if one is not a certified scuba diver, they should at least take classes so they know what they're in for using a Hookah. So this debate is moot in my case. I will get instruction.

Can anyone add to the debate of gas vs 12V DC or point me in a direction where I can do further research? I would really like to hear from those who use the Hookah and why they chose what they use now.

Any help is appreciated.. Thanks,

Dennis

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I OWN A KEENE ENGINEERING ELECTRIC HOOKAH AND RECENTLY BOUGHT A GAS POWER HOOKAH
THE KEENE ELECTRIC WITH RELAXED BREATHING IVE GOTTEN JUST OVER 2 HRS
THE GAS IVE GOTTEN UP TO 2 1/2 HRS AND STILL HAD GAS LEFT - JIM FROM MA
HAS THE SAME GAS POWERED UNIT AND SAYS HE CAN GET UP TO 4 HRS ON A TANK
IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU SET YOUR THROTTLE - HE HAS USED IT MANY TIMES AT FRESH WATER POND BEACHES
IVE USED MY GAS ONE TWICE AT SALT WATER SPOTS
WITH THE ELECTRIC - ONCE BATTERY DIES - YOUR DAYS ENDED UNLESS YOU BRING AN EXTRA BATTERY
GAS POWERED - JUST FILLER UP AND GO BACK OUT

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEENE ELECTRIC - HAS FLOATING BLADDER - THIS WILL HOLD SPARE AIR WHEN UNIT SHOTS DOWN
MY GAS ONE DOES NOT HAVE THIS - I WEAR A SPARE AIR EMERGENCY TANK ON MY CHEST
2233000585_b1cfe87181.jpg

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Electric is quiet and there are no worries about exhaust getting in the air. You are limited by charge duration, and perhaps limits on depth. Depending on your circumstance You may be able to bring a multipurpose generator to keep the battery charged or charge a second battery to swap between, then use the generator for camp the rest of the time.

Gas is what I prefer because I normally have other engines running, so the noise and contamination are already issues. Plus I need good depth and long endurance. I typically will run the compressor off a belt or other PTO, so it's part of my main suction generating engine and not a separate unit.

For my purposes electric is silly and horribly inefficient, but I would have liked to use them for certain applications.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY ELECTRIC WAS GREAT - JUST HEAVY TO GET TO SPOTS - THE UNIT WEIGHS ABOUT 70LBS AND THE BATTERY IS 70LBS
I COULD USE TO 50 FEET (DEEPEST I USED WAS LIKE 12 FEET) - RECHARGING WAS A PAIN - DID NOT WANT TO BUY A SPARE BATTERY - WOULD HAVE TO LUG THE DEAD ONE BACK TO CAR AND LUG THE FRESH ONE BACK UNIT- NOT GONNA HAPPEN - PLACES I WAS HITTING = SOME WERE COUPLE HUNDRED YARDS TO THE WATER
GAS ONE YOU CAN BRING A SMALL CONTAINER WITH YOU WITH ENOUGH GAS TO REFILL IN THE SHALLOWS
ELECTRIC COULD BE USED IN THE RAIN - WOULD NOT WANT TO TRY WITH GAS ONE - ELECTRIC COULD TAKE A SMALL WAVE
GAS WOULD NOT

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used Keene Eng and J-Sink Hookah's, both gas and one 12 Volt and can say the gas are easier and lighter weight. Elec. are quieter and the battery is way to heavy.. Both systems are a dream if used from a boat. Speaking of which, boaters are stupid an don't know what a dive flag is for.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used Keene Eng and J-Sink Hookah's, both gas and one 12 Volt and can say the gas are easier and lighter weight. Elec. are quieter and the battery is way to heavy.. Both systems are a dream if used from a boat. Speaking of which, boaters are stupid an don't know what a dive flag is for.
ive had idiots swim out and jump on my electric and have had to run in and yell at them

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking of Casper's remark about waves hitting the hookah. Would a gas hookah set up in a small boat, say a very small tender or jonboat be ideal? How about a wide-bottomed canoe? A Radisson 12-foot canoe only weighs 34 lbs...

Some of the newer small Kayaks have reasonably-flat bottoms and a large interior area to hold a lot of stuff. Perfect for us THers IMHO. What do you guys think?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of Casper's remark about waves hitting the hookah. Would a gas hookah set up in a small boat, say a very small tender or jonboat be ideal? How about a wide-bottomed canoe? A Radisson 12-foot canoe only weighs 34 lbs...

Some of the newer small Kayaks have reasonably-flat bottoms and a large interior area to hold a lot of stuff. Perfect for us THers IMHO. What do you guys think?
The trouble with having your setup in a small boat or canoe is people will think it's abandoned. You will need someone aboard, preferably armed to repel boaters.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ELECTRIC COULD BE USED IN THE RAIN - WOULD NOT WANT TO TRY WITH GAS ONE - ELECTRIC COULD TAKE A SMALL WAVE
GAS WOULD NOT

Why can't you use a gas powered hookah in the rain? I never worried if it started raining with mine. Rain won't kill a gas motor. It would take a pretty large wave to swamp a gas powered hookah! If waves are that large then I wouldn't be in the shallows anyway.

edit- I should preface that by saying I don't float my gas-powered hookah on an inner-tube, so YMMV

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT TOO - MY SNUBA SET UP

I remember a video of how you made your snuba? I think it was your video?

I've been going back and forth electric, gas or floating tanks. We ruled out electric then gas and decided on floating tanks.

I will be launching from a beach thru the surf. We have ocean kayaks that are very stable but getting past the surf without flipping is nearly impossible. Gas or electric is asking for trouble and a ruined day if it flips in the surf. No problem with floating tanks.

My problem is that I want two tanks. Im thinking that I can use a dog life preserver to float the tanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-2518-Ea...upplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=18G0C54E4VJP16N0XRZ4

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem is that I want two tanks. Im thinking that I can use a dog life preserver to float the tanks.

I'd be very careful about using something like that, it was designed to keep a dog that is mostly neutral buoyant anyway slightly above water. An AL-80 scuba tank will be about 4 pounds negative when full and about 2 pounds positive when empty. I guess if cheap enough it's worth a shot.

AL-80 doubles would be the way to go in my opinion also, but that's what I use to scuba dive with. A single 80 tank can easily last me 2+ hours in 20 feet and shallower water, so you will probably have no shortage of air with a doubles setup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread