Tis The Season!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, here comes that cool northern air, that first hint that better beach hunting conditions are close at hand. Very soon now the breezes will gradually start to shift from the south to the north and with this so will the wave action. For the last several months those waves have been rolling straight in but over the next few months we'll see a gradual shift in the angle of their approach,these being not so straight in and no so subdued.

Shoreline currents will also start to form, some of these being very strong. And of course, in all of this the sand is going to be gradually rearranged and gradually removed, deeply buried items will start getting exposed and even redistributed whenever these northern winter seas generate enough force. So, “Don't put those beach detectors away!”

Imagine if you could go to the beach right now and strip an entire foot of sand off the beach. How bout two-feet, or even three-feet. By January this might even be four-feet or more in some locations. Once this winter stripping action begins you'll start to encounter more fishing sinkers, hunks of iron and pieces of heavy metal crap. You'll also start to see more shell and chunks of coral,all of these denser items having been in total hibernation in their deep sand haunts throughout most of the summer. These same deep sand haunts are where a lot of your gold and silver has laid in hibernation as well.

Think of this winter transition as a “two steps forward and one step back” proposition. Each time a winter front passes through sand is removed and redistributed, a little of it returning during the lull between fronts, just how much depending on the length of the lull and the building of those shoreline currents.Now is the time to be on the beach, even taking pictures if you must just so you'll have a visual reference to compare these gradual transitions against. The best hunting of the entire year is on the way if you can just dial yourself in on those locations where the sand is being gradually removed.

Think of the beach as being several thin layers of sand, the potential that new items are going to be exposed with every layer removed. It's much the same effect as a fierce storm only this winter transition doesn't happen all at once, but rather it comes about slowly over an extended period of time. Very slowly you're going to see the wet sand transition from shades of tans and light browns to shades dark brown and gray. Before this winter is over you're going to be able to stand on the beach at low tide and you're going to be able to see a scattering of chunky shell, a scattering of chunky shell that you just don't see right now. So, “Don't put those beach detectors away.” On my area beaches, it tis the season to start getting serious about finding gold and silver. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ho Ho Ho and to all good hunting.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm dusty off my wet suits, putting on my small coil, and then I'm going to try to get the beach a couple of times this week if I can get away? :dontknow:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walked the beach with my girl here yesterday.. Lots of accumulated material to move.

ForumRunner_20141006_094836.png

ForumRunner_20141006_094902.png

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great post, Bigscoop!

That's exactly why I love Fall and especially Winter hunting.:hello2:

Getting my winter gear ready ... boots, gloves, turtlenecks, , etc.:headbang:

Lorraine

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, Bigscoop!

That's exactly why I love Fall and especially Winter hunting.:hello2:

Getting my winter gear ready ... boots, gloves, turtlenecks, , etc.:headbang:

Lorraine

I'm preparing to move north for the winter and I've come to realize that I have no winter clothes anymore. :laughing7: Gonna have to do some serious shopping!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're like a snowbird in Reverse

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a different kind of way it makes a lot of sense now that I think about it your escaping all the crowds and congestion in both directions... Brilliant

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
NE winds are starting to take shape. Hey scoop good luck on the adventure. Keep the stories coming. Hope we get a ripping winter this year. Fingers are crossed for massive beach erosion.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah..sponge... We'll be torn between surfing and detecting... I detect the blown out days and surf the clean up.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best to you this winter. I'm going to miss the winter hunting. We'll be keeping an eye on things though and if it looks like we can come down for a good shoot we just might have to arrange it to break the winter blues.

Got some good possibilities lined up for next year.....just got permission this week on 1700 acres with some history in Arkansas and also a couple of old gold mines on private land in northern New Mexico. So we're still weeding things out and trying to line stuff up. :thumbsup:

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be nice... gets mighty cold on NJ beaches in December/January

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread