DONT KNOW IF THIS WAS MENTIONED BY ANYONE
MOST OF THE ELECTRIC ONES IVE SEEN - INCLUDING MY KEENE ENGINEERING ONE
CAN BE USED IN THE RAIN AND CAN TAKE A WAVE OR TWO
GAS I WOULD NOT TRY IN THE RAIN - COULD CAUSE IT TO STALL OR TUBE TO FILL
AND STALL - AND DEFINITELY COULD NOT TAKE A WAVE IF USING IN ROUGH WATERS
MY LAST TIME OUT WITH MY GAS ONE - I ENTERED WATER WHEN IT WAS CALM
WIND PICKED UP - AND WHEN I CAME IN SHALLOW TO CHECK MY SURROUNDINGS
I COULD SEE SMALL ROLLERS SLAPPING INTO MY INNER TUBE AND WATER WAS GOING
OVER IT INTO THE TUBE - WHEN I QUIT HUNTING AND WENT IN - I HAD AN INCH OF WATER INSIDE THE TUBE
HAD I STAYED OUT LONGER - I THINK ENGINE WOULD HAVE BEEN SWAMPED
THINKING OF CONSTRUCTING OVER THE WINTER SOMETHING TO PREVENT THIS

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What tube was filling with water? Is it something you can put a snorkel on?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Im still leaning twords a floating two tank setup. It should allow me at least two hours and no sorries about flipping or flooding.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im still leaning twords a floating two tank setup. It should allow me at least two hours and no sorries about flipping or flooding.

I went down the same road and had my mind made up that surface (floating tanks) were the best answer. After talking to many people I have changed my mind and decided to just go full scuba. Even with a floating tank setup you need to get scuba certified. It's not the law, but if you want stay alive, consider it a must. Nobody is gonna fill your tanks if you are not certified.

One problem with the floating tanks is the pressure gage. With this setup the pressure gage is located on the 1st stage with tanks. You have no way of knowing how much air is remaining in your tank. To get around this you have to run a second hose down. When all was said and done, I found I might just as well buy a BCD and go full scuba. You also have to worry about a boat cutting the line. Boaters don't always pay attention to scuba flags. We had a boy drown this summer and rescue divers could not get to him in time to try rescitating him because the boaters were running right over the top of the divers despite the scuba flags. By the time they cleared the boaters from the well marked rescue area, they had no chance of reviving the boy. The area was marked with several flags.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down the same road and had my mind made up that surface (floating tanks) were the best answer. After talking to many people I have changed my mind and decided to just go full scuba. Even with a floating tank setup you need to get scuba certified. It's not the law, but if you want stay alive, consider it a must. Nobody is gonna fill your tanks if you are not certified.

One problem with the floating tanks is the pressure gage. With this setup the pressure gage is located on the 1st stage with tanks. You have no way of knowing how much air is remaining in your tank. To get around this you have to run a second hose down. When all was said and done, I found I might just as well buy a BCD and go full scuba. You also have to worry about a boat cutting the line. Boaters don't always pay attention to scuba flags. We had a boy drown this summer and rescue divers could not get to him in time to try rescitating him because the boaters were running right over the top of the divers despite the scuba flags. By the time they cleared the boaters from the well marked rescue area, they had no chance of reviving the boy. The area was marked with several flags.

I OWN A SNUBA SET UP (TANK FLOATS ON SURFACE AND I HAVE A 30 FOOT HOSE) - SURPRISINGLY - YOU SUPPOSEDLY DO NOT HAVE TO BE CERTIFIED TO USE IT
I GET MY TANKS FILLED NO PROB - MINE IS CALLED A TOTE AND FLOAT - IT SAYS CERTIFICATION RECOMMENDED BUT NOT NEEDED
I BROUGHT IT TO THE DIVE SHOP AND SHOWED THE OWNER AND BOUGHT TANK FROM THE GUY AND HE PUT ME IN THE COMPUTER
I HAVE A FEW FRIENDS THAT ARE DIVE MASTERS AND I KNOW THE DO'S AND DONTS
EVERY YEAR I SAY IM GOING TO GET CERTIFIED BUT THE NEAREST PLACE THAT DOES THEM IS AN HOUR AWAY
I WANT TO EVENTUALLY SO I CAN GET TANKS IN THE CARRIBEAN

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried googling Tote and Float and there is nothing there anymore. Sounds like a cool setup. My LDS will not fill my tanks without certification even if it is SNUBA. Two other shops about an hour away will also not fill them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am not sure how they "handle" things in Wisconsin... but here in Florida that would be a major ticket if not serious jail time to even come within 300 feet of a posted dive flag... not to mention us divers are pretty damn FURIOUS at anyone who even approaches a posted dive flag.. EVEN if motor is off.
DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT... approach me or my dive boat when my flag is posted or I take the stance that you have just threatened my life... which like most other divers... not just me... will be VERY upset about.
As for the boats that you witnessed doing this... ME I would have had pen and paper in hand OR cell phone to report and witness EVERY boat / driver that broke that rule.
I am not a "narc" ... I just cannot allow someones life to be in jepeordy. EVER.

P.S> ... I assumed you witnessed... but appologize for the assumption if you had not... but as you can tell the story got my blood going... I have been diving for 40 years. ( I am 46) and have had MANY "run ins" with people concerning this matter... the "300 foot" rule in my opinion should be increased to 500 if not more like 1000.
Jet ski's are some of the worst offenders.
PSS: To all you JET SKIERS ... I know they are fun to ride and all... BUT BACK OFF ALL BOATS AND PEOPLE... get it through your heads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper - I always thought those inner tubes had a mesh like lining supporting the engine so water would run through them?

MINE IS NOT - MINE HOLDS WATER - SO IF IT WOULD TO POUR - IT COULD FILL AND POSSIBLY SNUFF THE ENGINE
THE SMALL WAVES SLAPPING AGAINST IT THE OTHER DAY - PUT ABOUT A GALLON OF WATER IN MINE
FRIEND - JIM IN MA. - HAS SAME UNIT - HE PUT A DRAIN IN HIS - IM HESITANT TO DO THAT TO MINE RIGHT NOW

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper... ever consider using a rubber dingy / raft with foan and starboard ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or even a larger inner tube like the big black ones they use for going down a river.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure how they "handle" things in Wisconsin... but here in Florida that would be a major ticket if not serious jail time to even come within 300 feet of a posted dive flag... not to mention us divers are pretty damn FURIOUS at anyone who even approaches a posted dive flag.. EVEN if motor is off.
DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT... approach me or my dive boat when my flag is posted or I take the stance that you have just threatened my life... which like most other divers... not just me... will be VERY upset about.
As for the boats that you witnessed doing this... ME I would have had pen and paper in hand OR cell phone to report and witness EVERY boat / driver that broke that rule.
I am not a "narc" ... I just cannot allow someones life to be in jepeordy. EVER.

P.S> ... I assumed you witnessed... but appologize for the assumption if you had not... but as you can tell the story got my blood going... I have been diving for 40 years. ( I am 46) and have had MANY "run ins" with people concerning this matter... the "300 foot" rule in my opinion should be increased to 500 if not more like 1000.
PSS: To all you JET SKIERS ... I know they are fun to ride and all... BUT BACK OFF ALL BOATS AND PEOPLE... get it through your heads.

LAST TIME OUT - I GET TO BEACH - GET ALL MY GEAR TO THE WATER AND START PUTTING ON EVERYTHING AND START HEADING OUT - 2 GUYS AND THEIR WIVES
RUN IN FRONT OF ME WITH OCEAN RODS AND START FLOGGING THE WATER - MY GIRLFRIEND SAYS TO ONE ON THE WOMEN - "MY BOY FRIEND IS HEADING OUT THERE...THEY BETTER BE CAREFUL"WOMAN SAYS "BETTER HOPE WE DONT HOOK HIM OR HIS TUBE" I WAS JUST ABOUT TO GO UNDER - I TOOK OUT MY RESPIRATOR AND SAID "I WAS HERE FIRST ...BUT SEEMS THAT YOU DONT CARE...IF YOU HOOK MY HOSE OR MY TUBE AND CAUSE IT TO SINK OR PULL MY RESPIRATOR...PEOPLE HEARD YOU COMMENTS AND IF I GET HURT OR DIE ...YOU'LL BE IN TROUBLE" - THING IS THIS PARTICULAR BEACH STATES NO FISHING IN OR OUT OF SEASON
OTHERS IN THE AREA YOU CAN ONLY FISH AFTER LABOR DAY - NOT THIS ONE - TOLD THEM THEY SHOULD LEARN TO READ SIGNS
I ON THE OTHER HAND KNOW - I CAN NOT DIVE IN SEASON HERE BUT CAN AFTER LABOR DAY - THAT IS WHY I WAS IN THERE THAT DAY

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper... if you are at depths more than a swimming pool...
remember rule 1 : If you ever loose air for any reason... remain focused and calm... look to surface and with strength and calmness... accend.
With that in mind... does the term "spare air" ring any bells ? worth more than anything you could be looking for.
VERY cheap... compared to possible alternative.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper... if you are at depths more than a swimming pool...
remember rule 1 : If you ever loose air for any reason... remain focused and calm... look to surface and with strength and calmness... accend.
With that in mind... does the term "spare air" ring any bells ? worth more than anything you could be looking for.
VERY cheap... compared to possible alternative.

I GUESS YOU HAVE NOT SEEN ANY OF MY OTHER POSTS ON THIS SUBJECT
HAVE OWNED AN ELECTRIC HOOKAH FOR YRS
OWNED A SNUBA FOR SOMETIME TOO
IT WAS ONLY RECENTLY I BOUGHT MY GAS ONE
ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I BOUGHT FOR USE WITH MY SNUBA WAS A "SPARE AIR"
MY ELECTRIC HOOKAH HAS A SAFETY BLADDER FOR WHEN IT SHUTS DOWN
I ALWAYS TRY TO PRACTICE SAFETY
HERE IS STORY I DID A FEW YRS AGO
caspr 1.jpg caspr 2.jpg
caspr 3.jpg caspr 4.jpg
caspr 5.jpg caspr 6.jpg
caspr 7.jpg caspr 8.jpg

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I did not witness this, it was on our local news. The divers were sheriff rescue divers. I hope they ticketed these boaters.

In Wisconsin, things are worse. You just don't see many scuba flags. I only ever recall seeing them twice, and I spend a lot of time on the water fishing. That is probably part of the problem. It's still no excuse. If you are gonna be on the water you need to know all the rules and laws. About 15 years ago a guy I knew was hit killed while scuba diving near a golf course. He was collecting golf balls. He had a flag out and his kid was watching from shore. It was a sad situation.

When I dive, I plan on putting a flag on my boat up and at least two flag buoys. I also plan on only surfacing near the boat if possible. There are just too many ignorant people on the water up here. I also plan on minimizing my risk by diving at low traffic times like early weekday mornings. Weekends up here are out of the question, just too much boat traffic. Smaller lakes just are not like the wide open ocean, the boat traffic is just to concentrated in a smaller area.

You are right- jet skis are the worse. A close second is pontoon boats. Fishermen seem to be the most respectful.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a neat surface scuba set up. Google the name on the picture and check them out. This is what I was originally thinking of getting. It appears the hose set up is a Brownies Kayak set up. They have several versions of this.

dxfloatr_l5[1].jpg

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After a month of diving with my tank strapped to a Kayak, I ditched the set up and just scuba dive now. I like it WAY Better than surface supplied air. and safer in my humble opinion!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been a PADI-certified diver since 1977, and I've thought about getting a hookah, but I'm going with straight-up scuba instead. More freedom, less chance of it dying on me or poisoning me. Less noise. Its not likely that I'll be detecting down more than 20 feet at any given time anyway. My plan is to just take enough tanks to last all bloody day if I want, and I might even splurge for my own tank compressor since they are coming down in price now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread