The Comfort Zone

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The comfort zone is where we are most effective as a detectorist.
It differs with every treasure hunter dependent upon skill, physical condition, type of equipment used, the targets we are searching for and equipment used.

This zone is dynamic in that it widens as our knowledge grows and contracts as we get older as we no longer do all the things which we took for granted when younger.

I suspect, that many beginners are bitterly disappointed as a result of unrealistic expectations.
Especially when they visualize all those beautiful rings, chains, pendants, and coins drooped on top of a search coil for dramatic effect.
Not realizing that this is the end result of years of experience, dedication that borders on obsession and financial hardships.

Only to discover that their findings are mostly pull tabs (differentiated by color, shape and size). bottle caps - corona rules where I hunt
lead sinkers (usually the most valuable find of the day), aluminum cans - most have a bounty of five cents when returned.
and a meager amount of coins - which will not even pay for the energy bars and water, with the largest denomination that is usually found in the US being a quarter and a clad one at that.

I don't know about you, but I just don't hear that exciting music while detecting through my headphones, nor do I have visions of
pirate loot and great sea and land battles.

For me it's more of a zoning out, where I no longer bombarded by the news media, and the need to escape from the senseless TV
shows that are supposed to be entertaining.

To be honest, I have always considered the beach to be a grueling non forgiving environment which I endure so that I can swim,
dive, surf and detect. I have never enjoyed laying on a towel, sizzelling like a slice of bacon under the hot noon day sun.

From the above, you may realize that I tend to be a solitary hunter, preferring early morning before the masses arrive and late evening when it is cool. I also tend to be very realistic to the point of being cynical.

Hopefully you have discovered your comfort zone before starting om your treasure quest and will share this hard earned knowledge!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never mind the fact that that was very on point and well written it was even cooler to me that you decided to take the time to write it.
I spent over 8 hours surfing today realizing right now I'm not 20 anymore...but... Planning my metal detecting trip for tomorrow

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comfort zone....between two banks of a river!

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Never mind the fact that that was very on point and well written it was even cooler to me that you decided to take the time to write it.
I spent over 8 hours surfing today realizing right now I'm not 20 anymore...but... Planning my metal detecting trip for tomorrow

Gator how was it. We had mush down here. Couldn't make road trip.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Light offshore wind till noon.. Barely any wind at all after that.
Solid head high maybe a little bigger on sets

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well written. can we vote banner?

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Comfort Zone, That was some good stuff.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful to read. Puts what I'd imagine a lot of us feel into words. I've always hated sitting in the sand doing nothing, and my girlfriend can't stand it [emoji13]. Doctors these days would probably say I'm too ADD for that, I just like to think I know what I want.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Very well written , inspiring, and enjoyable post, Sir Gala Clad!

Lorraine

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spot on! I compare MDing to fishing and hunting. "The thrill of the hunt", and the relaxing environment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread