Excal: Set it and forget it!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Many years ago, the constant turning my Excal on and off eventually caused the plastic knob to break off and another time, the switched failed. Now I set my Excal the way I like it and the volume and leave it alone. To shut off my Excal, I disconnect the Battery connection. Doing it this way also guarantees of not fully turning off the machine, killing your battery. When my Ni-Cad pack went bad, instead of shelling out a $100 for a new one, I went to Radio Shack and bought an 8AA battery tray that slides into the battery container. I have two battery packs that give me upwards of 28 hours of hunting. The found clad change goes to purchasing new Dura-cells. I've done this for at least 20 years since purchasing my Excal in 1990. 8-)

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Very smart idea. I'm not sure I understand the battery idea though. You can put a regular battery pack into the Excal? I thought you had to buy the AA pack from minelab?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago, the constant turning my Excal on and off eventually caused the plastic knob to break off and another time, the switched failed. Now I set my Excal the way I like it and the volume and leave it alone. To shut off my Excal, I disconnect the Battery connection. Doing it this way also guarantees of not fully turning off the machine, killing your battery. When my Ni-Cad pack went bad, instead of shelling out a $100 for a new one, I went to Radio Shack and bought an 8AA battery tray that slides into the battery container. I have two battery packs that give me upwards of 28 hours of hunting. The found clad change goes to purchasing new Dura-cells. I've done this for at least 20 years since purchasing my Excal in 1990. 8-)

Thanks for telling me where to find a 8 AA Battery tray .[emoji106]

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
For those thinking of doing this, Just a be careful warning .. Make sure you connect your battery back up properly with the correct alignment of the third (smaller) pin/screw. Just a few seconds reversed can quickly end the life of an Excalibur. As we get older our eyes seem to see less details. Some of the Excalibur's have longer third pins which make it harder to reverse but some have the same length and can easily be held in the wrong place while trying to fit. Just a be careful warning.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those thinking of doing this, Just a be careful warning .. Make sure you connect your battery back up properly with the correct alignment of the third (smaller) pin/screw. Just a few seconds reversed can quickly end the life of an Excalibur. As we get older our eyes seem to see less details. Some of the Excalibur's have longer third pins which make it harder to reverse but some have the same length and can easily be held in the wrong place while trying to fit. Just a be careful warning.
Correct, and it will make contact with power in pod even with the third smaller alignment post on wrong side ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread