Water Detecting- When Things go Bad

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The day started out bad, that should have been my first clue. I had a hotspot I wanted to take my boat to and hit with the Tiger Shark. This was a sandbar in the middle of a 600 acre reservoir that is surrounded by cabins and a few permanent residents. I had some problems and got off to a late start. It was an hour drive and when I got there the boat landing was too shallow to use. I knew about where another landing was and about a half hour later I found it. Put the boat in and could not find the sandbar. I picked up my cell, called my wife and had her use Google satellite view to talk me to the spot. I described what I was by on the lake and she told me what direction to head, what to look for, and about how far. 10 minutes later I found it.

So it is a Sunday, it's about 45 degrees, water temp is probably around 50 degrees (best guess), wind is picking up, cloudy, about 1:30 pm, and the Green Bay Packers are playing. The Packer game is significant, because this means what few people haven't left their cabins for the weekend are indoors watching the game. It is lonely out there and cold. I am dressed with several warm layers and put on my waders and a wader belt. In a hurry to get into the water I pull the boat up to the shallowest part of bar which is 1 foot deep and throw the anchor out and tie off.

I started doing a grid from the shallow top of the sandbar to deep drop, and then back and forth. I used the cabins on the far shoreline for a reference going out to drop off and my boat for coming back up the drop to the shallows. The wind started to pick up. I noticed that my gridding was not going to great because I always seemed to keep coming back to the boat after I turned around. What the heck, I have done this plenty and can walk parallel lines. Anyway I turn from the boat and head back to the drop. I was busy scooping several targets and when I turned around the boat was floating off. I made a run for it and in a panic considered dropping all and swimming for it. Common sense got the best of me when a little water came over the top of my waders. I stopped and watched the wind blow my boat away. There I stood watching my boat drift off. I stood there and said four letter words to myself!

Now I contemplated my situation. I was dressed for the conditions and warm. Even with the little water I took over the top of the waders, I had a wader belt, and several layers so I was still warm. Most of the cabins were closed up, boats were up on shore for the winter, and nobody was around. The closest shore was about a 75 yard swim away and this was an island. The closest residence with cars in the driveway was about a 1/4 mile away, but nobody was outside. My boat had drifted past a point into a bay and was out of sight. That closest shore as an island, it was another 30 yards from the island shore to real shoreline. About 3/4 - 1 mile away was the far shoreline with a road going by. I tried waving a truck down going by the lake on this road. The road was uphill from the lake and for awhile he stopped and I thought maybe he had seen me.

My choices were slim. The Packer game was probably at about the beginning of the third quarter. I could wait till the game was over and hopefully catch someone outside. I was dressed warm enough this was a valid option. Another option was yell HELP!!!! In reality the only ones that would have heard that would have been downwind. My last option was to put my gear up on a shallow stump, drop the waders and a layer or two of clothing and swim. Earlier in life I spent three years in the 101st Airborne. I had survival training to include cold weather and water survival and knew panic was not an option. I am a very strong swimmer. Cell phone was in the boat. I was in no hurry to rush to a decision. I decided to wait about another 1/2 hour to see if I could see somebody outside to yell too. If that didn't work, I was gonna make the swim to the island and then land, walk the shoreline to the resident that was home and ask for help.

While waiting I saw a canoe round the point over a 1/4 mile away. They waved with cross hands and I returned the wave. They then turned around and went out of sight. I knew they knew my situation so I just waited. About 5 minutes later they rounded the point towing my boat. They had a hard paddle against the wind towing my 14' jon boat. After about 15 minutes they reached me. The first thing they asked me is if I was cold and needed to get some place warm quick. I thanked them and told them I was warm and okay and was dressed for the conditions. They had a cabin in the bay my boat drifted into. They were outside raking leaves and listening to Packer game on the radio before they went home for the weekend. They had seen me in my boat earlier when I was looking for the sandbar. I was the ONLY boat on the lake. When they saw the boat empty drifting they immediately knew something was not right. They dragged their canoe out, grabbed a rope, cell phones, and paddled out to my boat. The lady and her husband had a hunch this was not gonna turn out good. Before they dialed 911 they thought they paddle out past the point to see what they could see. They were quite happy to see me standing on the sand bar.

I thanked them again and again. I offered them money and they said no. They said it would not be right to accept money from someone who was in need of help. We chatted for about five minutes and they left. I hopped in my boat, headed for the boat ramp and loaded up.

Now what went wrong and how: First, being in a hurry started my problems and set me up for failure. When I anchored I was in a hurry. I anchored from the transom. This left the wind pushing against the transom. I should have anchored from the bow so the bow was facing into the wind. Being in a hurry I did not tie the anchor rope long enough. I was in a foot of water and the rope was tied so that it was only about 2 feet of rope from the anchor to the tie off. That was a bad mistake. When the wind picked up the waves lifted the transom up and the anchor. With the wind blowing against the transom and waves pushing against the transom, the boat was soon on it's way. to deeper water with the anchor just hanging. I also should have put my cell phone in a ziplock bag inside my waders.

What I did right. My wife knew where I was. I was dressed for the conditions. I did not panic.

In the end it was a lesson and an adventure. Not a total loss, I found a clad quarter!

Upvote 0

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story. Your military training served you well. You did not panic and you were prepared. I have a place in Marinette county. I was just detecting up there last weekend. I didn't think the water was chilly until I hurried out and changed into my hunting gear and sat in my tree stand. I had not warmed up from the water. I did find a 1911 V nickel, 2 wheaties and 3 rings.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice story. Your military training served you well. You did not panic and you were prepared. I have a place in Marinette county. I was just detecting up there last weekend. I didn't think the water was chilly until I hurried out and changed into my hunting gear and sat in my tree stand. I had not warmed up from the water. I did find a 1911 V nickel, 2 wheaties and 3 rings.

I live in Marinette county and was on water in Oconto county.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank god for the help on this one!! In Maryland the DNR gives tickets for drifting boats, just talking to a friend the other day and he said he got a nice fat ticket for his boat getting away. So he uses two anchors now.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Glad your ok. Was this the day they beat the Dolphins?

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You kept your cool ( military training) the average person would have fought hard to grab the boat. Waders, cold water, panic a recipe for disaster.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What year was the Quarter?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed the story and am glad everything turned out ok. I love those sandbars.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story, and glad you made it! I've been in so many of those type of pickles, and I'll be the first to say that they were all from being hurried or trying to deal with too many things at once. I have a saying that I am fond of, which I will use here: "Impatience is a killer," then there's always the 6P's.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1974, nothing special.

Just trying to make light of a brutal situation. The feeling in your stomach when you see your boat floating off had to be gut wrenching. Glad it all worked out :)

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just trying to make light of a brutal situation. The feeling in your stomach when you see your boat floating off had to be gut wrenching. Glad it all worked out :)

It was gut wrenching, but not until I was done muttering 4 letters words to myself!

Last edited:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to the locals that keep an eye open. That's one helluva of a DILEMMA! Your survival training paid off! Glad all turned out well.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story! Thank god for the awareness of those people!
I'm glad you are alright and it turned out positive.
Great lesson for us all.
Thanks for telling it!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have freaked.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A heck of a story and something for all of us to learn from.

I know of two somewhat similar situations:

An older fellow was fishing in a private pond in the fall and fell out of his canoe when the tried to net a trout. It was only about 3-4 foot of water, but he was slightly crippled and unable to walk along the bottom to shore. He stood in the water for a long while before somebody heard him calling. They had to get the fire department to rescue him and he was hypothermic.

The next story is my own. I was duck hunting from a beaver house in early Nov (shore was about 200 yards away). Later in the morning, I had loaded a kayak with all of my stuff including the gun and dog, but noticed I had left behind a box of shells. Stupidly, I pulled the nose of the kayak up on the wood but it was not tied up. In the time it took for me to retrieve the shells, the wind had caught it and it was about 5' (longer than any stick) away. I was worried that the dog might jump out and swim to me, dumping all of my gear. What I did was strip off all of my clothes and swim to get the kayak back (by then about 40 yards). The dog thought that was very interesting. After tying up the kayak, I stood naked in the breeze to dry off. It started to snow a little bit, so I dressed and got out of there. Thank goodness that was before such a thing as a GoPro video (I now put a camera on the dog).

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting in a hurry for something that isn't going anywhere is as old as the ages. Thank goodness for concerned neighbors looking out for your welfare. Lesson learned and you're safe, that's what counts. There is a sandbar where boats tie up on the river and they swim and I really want to detect this site when the water goes down in November. I don't have a boat or any experience with them and I'm thinking about renting a boat from a marina near there and will keep this situation in mind if I do. An alligator hunter harvested a 12 foot gator several miles from this sandbar and about 5 miles from the spot on the river I like to detect. Safety first should be everyone's motto. Thanks for posting this warning to everyone. GL & HH.

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scary for sure
Glad your OK and instinct kicks in
Just shows you can go from bad to Real bad in a blink

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The next story is my own. I was duck hunting from a beaver house in early Nov (shore was about 200 yards away). Later in the morning, I had loaded a kayak with all of my stuff including the gun and dog, but noticed I had left behind a box of shells. Stupidly, I pulled the nose of the kayak up on the wood but it was not tied up. In the time it took for me to retrieve the shells, the wind had caught it and it was about 5' (longer than any stick) away. I was worried that the dog might jump out and swim to me, dumping all of my gear. What I did was strip off all of my clothes and swim to get the kayak back (by then about 40 yards). The dog thought that was very interesting. After tying up the kayak, I stood naked in the breeze to dry off. It started to snow a little bit, so I dressed and got out of there. Thank goodness that was before such a thing as a GoPro video (I now put a camera on the dog).

Placergold, it happens in an instant! Smart thinking on your part. I like the GoPro on the dog.

Getting in a hurry for something that isn't going anywhere is as old as the ages. Thank goodness for concerned neighbors looking out for your welfare. Lesson learned and you're safe, that's what counts. There is a sandbar where boats tie up on the river and they swim and I really want to detect this site when the water goes down in November. I don't have a boat or any experience with them and I'm thinking about renting a boat from a marina near there and will keep this situation in mind if I do. An alligator hunter harvested a 12 foot gator several miles from this sandbar and about 5 miles from the spot on the river I like to detect. Safety first should be everyone's motto. Thanks for posting this warning to everyone. GL & HH.

Fongo, I am not gonna tell you don't do it. I would do it myself except for one thing, the GATOR! You are new with a boat. Have the marina you rent it from give you some instruction on it's use first. A river is not a friendly place for someone inexperienced at boating. A river channel is not always where you think it is, and being new to this you could easily run aground and get knocked out of the boat, etc. etc.. If you are using waders make sure you have a wader belt and possibly wear a life preserver. Just be extra careful! I would feel a lot better if you had someone with you that knew how to run a boat in the river.

You seem to be like me- adventurous. Nothing wrong with that. We all have to do something for the first time. The key is stay alive so we can do it again! Please be careful!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread