Excalibur. Is the WOT coil the best way to go

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I blew my right arm out in 08 moving a 600 pound drum. My left are can handle a 2 hour hunt. But I got bad wrists. Water with that thing, forget about it. I used to hunt right handed. Took a few days with WOT and now I have to hunt permanently with left hand. Again, from a prior injury. Otherwise id be fine. hh gl -joe

LOL, I hunt for hours with the WOT including in the water with no problems at all, have hunted from morning to night with WOT, but I'm only 66, you guys must be older...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can swing the SEF or WOT all day, even when in mild water conditions. But you have go slower, and not just due to resistance. The deeper you submerge these larger coils the more touchy they get....coil control becomes critical to performance. TH finally talked me into using a harness and I even use it with the smaller coils now, even if just wet sand hunting. Makes a huge difference and now that I've gotten really spoiled by it my machine feels like it weighs a hundred pounds without it. Can't believe I hunted all those years without one. I use it on all of my machines and during all of my hunting now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I was telling you, I use mine all the time... if your going to hunt you may as well be comfortable. I have hunted from day break to dark with do pain in my arms, but my legs did get a might tired... LOL.. [emoji12]

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use this with a backpack an belt. I use a dring at top of rod to connect to backpack...shoulder hight. Bungee holds up coil. Its an aluminum rod, and knocked myself upside the head once tossing my backpack on...lol. But...basically a weightless setup. I can hunt all day with WOT...the next thing in line to wear me down is draging the scoop everywhere. Ill try an post a pic with it on later. hh gl -joe

IMG_0029(1).jpg

That is what I was telling you, I use mine all the time... if your going to hunt you may as well be comfortable. I have hunted from day break to dark with do pain in my arms, but my legs did get a might tired... LOL.. [emoji12]

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter, what kind of harness do you use. Is it just kind of like a weedeater strap that goes over your head and across your chest and connects at one point on the shaft or does it just hang from your shoulder?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, what kind of harness do you use. Is it just kind of like a weedeater strap that goes over your head and across your chest and connects at one point on the shaft or does it just hang from your shoulder?
Bungee cord attaches to my camelpac and to detector shafts.... I have several bungee cords different thicknesses. I use thicker bungee when using the SEF 15x18" coil on my Sov GT.

I always hunt with my 2 liter camelpac and bungee hookup, that way I always have fresh cold water with me..

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bungee cord attaches to my camelpac and to detector shafts.... I have several bungee cords different thicknesses. I use thicker bungee when using the SEF 15x18" coil on my Sov GT. I always hunt with my 2 liter camelpac and bungee hookup, that way I always have fresh cold water with me..
Camelback, now that's a good idea...until you have to go. I thought about wearing one but didn't want tan lines. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the one I had my sister make for me.....the velcro connector was off of an older golf bag cart that I found at the thrift store. A few bucks and a little sewing and you'll have a cheap but very functional harness. Like TH, I have extra bungees but I've had no need to replace one yet. I also tie them in knots to achieve the right length. A stainless "eye-bolt" through the detector shaft about 8" below the grip and you're good to go. Not a great picture but you'll get the general idea. This one has seen a lot of use both in and out of the water.
harness.jpg
PS: You'll want the eye-bolt loop facing the inside of the detector shaft, not the top, as on the top will cause the shaft to want to roll over at the far end of your sweeps.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camelback, now that's a good idea...until you have to go. I thought about wearing one but didn't want tan lines. Lol

Tan lines, LOL? I wear a shirt that is SPF 90 rated when I hunt...Skin cancer and all

Camelpac doesn't hinder relieving of anything. It is 2 liter camelpac, I put 1 to 15 liter of water in it and freeze it. When ready to go hunting I fill it up with water, have cold water all day....

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tan lines, LOL? I wear a shirt that is SPF 90 rated when I hunt...Skin cancer and all Camelpac doesn't hinder relieving of anything. It is 2 liter camelpac, I put 1 to 15 liter of water in it and freeze it. When ready to go hunting I fill it up with water, have cold water all day....

Well planned out sir. I try to look my best on the beach because...it's the beach! At work I'm protected. Lol

image-3627742981.jpg

Attachments

• image-2087762269.jpg
    image-2087762269.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 106

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on what kind of conditions you are facing. East coast could be tuff to move a large coil and you do have to adjust the sensitivity down. Those Sov coils are going to be a HOT item when the ability to change coils is simplified. Are the connectors going to be CTX style? If so, id have to get some sort of a coupler so i can use them on both the sov and Xcal. Berry is doing a bang up job for us. Still a little pricy hint hint, but he will throw in some fixes sometimes to help.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread