Excalibur. Is the WOT coil the best way to go

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For mostly beach and shallow water detecting? I have to replace my old coil the rubber coating on the wire has disentegrated.
WOT or the SEF 10 12 or 12 15 is way to go but be sure excal is out of warranty...

OP
OP
bikerlawyer

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's out of warranty all right! Is Barry at Kellyco still the guy to go to for the hardwire?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's out of warranty all right! Is Barry at Kellyco still the guy to go to for the hardwire?
OBN isn't doing them at the moment so Barry is your best choice..... Barry does excellent work too....

OP
OP
bikerlawyer

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the best source for the coils? Kellyco doesn't sell them, right?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco sells both.

OP
OP
bikerlawyer

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks when I searched their website I didn't see them I guess time to call Barry!

KC-Brad

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705
Minelab E-trac
Garrett AT Pro
many others at leisure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will not pop up, but we have a couple in our inventory. Just give me a call, I can get that order and give it to Barry for when you send in your machine for him to work on it. My extension is 125 here if you want to reach me directly.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the best source for the coils? Kellyco doesn't sell them, right?

I would go with waterproof connectors and get the Tornado 8" DD for working the first drop off and trashy areas.
And the 10X12 SEF, if you can get it.

At the time I looked into it, about 18 months ago, you could only get the SEF coils from Kellyco.
I had a 10X12 SEF coil on back order, which was cancelled when the Sovereign went out of production (sigh)!

You should not have any trouble getting the larger SEFs as Kellyco, had several in stock.

If you go the waterproof connector route, you will need to also change the connector at each coil to a waterproof one as the sovereign is not water proof.

I havn't played with it, but it should be easier to pinpoint with the larger SEF butterfly coils than the circular DD WOT coil.

Also, I have heard (most likely from OBN) that it is more difficult to use the SEF with a waterproof connector and the diameter of the cable is a little wider, and the wires are not color coded

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir Gala Clad is correct - nothing beats having the ability to swap coils. I use 8" up to 12 x 15 SEF on my Excal and I'm switching them often due to conditions. But, in my experience the connectors also require routine maintenance and care to prevent leakage.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir Gala Clad is correct - nothing beats having the ability to swap coils. I use 8" up to 12 x 15 SEF on my Excal and I'm switching them often due to conditions. But, in my experience the connectors also require routine maintenance and care to prevent leakage.

In addition to adding the ability to swap coils, I am adding the ability to detect with Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones using the CTX 3030 connector as I also hunt with a CTX 3030 plus will add a remote pin point switch so that changing detecting modes is easier.

The above modifications will be made to make my Excalibur so that it can be customized to the beach I will be detecting as well as my hunting style. An additional advantage of using connectors is that it is easier to troubleshoot problems and will be able to replace failed coils and headphones without having to send back to Minelab for repair.

How do you maintain and care for the connectors?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you maintain and care for the connectors?

Keep an eye and make sure they do not leak... by pulling apart and checking.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand and salt can build in the threads, and if left alone long enough it can work it's way into the sealing surfaces. Just keep things clean so everything seals as it should. Make sure the sealing surfaces don't start to develop set, that sort of thing. When OBN is ready I'm going to send him mine so he can pop in his new connector setup. About time for some headphone repair as well. :thumbsup:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would go with an sef coil because of the weight of the wot.

chuck.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have WOT on mine now. If you have the pod shaft mounted, the coil is well balanced, and does not feel too heavy. But, bottom line, WOT is heavy. WOT does not go through water well. I used it on the GT before too.

WOT will pick up a dime over 10 inches. GL digging it lol. Its a good coil. Takes getting used to pinpointing. I see your gonna mod yours, keep us posted lol. gl hh -joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I hunt for hours with the WOT including in the water with no problems at all, have hunted from morning to night with WOT, but I'm only 66, you guys must be older...

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I hunt for hours with the WOT including in the water with no problems at all, have hunted from morning to night with WOT, but I'm only 66, you guys must be older...

im not older, just whimpier and less good looking 8-) !!! i dont use a bungee/swingy thingy either.

chuck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not older, just whimpier and less good looking 8-) !!! i dont use a bungee/swingy thingy either.

chuck.
LOL, maybe you should...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread