Perfect sand scoop handle for Beach & Shallow water

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, thanks to Max (GraveDigger Max) for showing me thos forum! I apologize for my english which is not my mother tongue..

Tired of breaking your sand scoop handle?
Tired of low grip on you Steinless steel handle?
Tired of heavy weight sand scoop?

Look at the solution I've founded:

I was always prefering wood handles for my sand scoops, but broke them all the time even with a humidity treatment. Steinless steel handles are heavy, do not provide any grip and add interferences to my detector in the water.

I've ordered a custom made handle made of Carbon with an extra coat of fiberglass to prevent from scratches and impacts on the carbon.

Concerning the grip, I took a "Kayak pad" finish to provide grip on all the handle surface.

The images are based on a Stavrscoop, it has a diameter of 32.4mm/32.5mm (each scoop, even in the same brand have a particular diameter)

Carbon tube with "kayak pad like" grip is 26x32mm, 1500mm (1.5m) long
Fiber glass coat is 0.5mm extra, in red color but can be in yellow, green, blue, white....

Overall weight (in Kg)

Starva scoop : 1.2Kg
Carbon+fiberglass handle: 0.65Kg

Sand scoop handle tube carbon + fiberglass finish
Carbon with fiber glass.JPG

Sand scoop Kayak pad grip (take care to the grip orientation, only 1 way grip!
natural kayak-pad grip style.JPG

As the handle diameter was intentionnaly a bit wider then the scoop diameter, I've heat with a shotgun the scoop, inserted the handle and cooled down both...
cooling-down the scoop.JPG

Then making a little hole for the SS screw....
final screw.JPG

Final result, just miss some accessories, lanyard and extra SS handle, images will follow
scoop carbon with fiber glass finish.JPG

The handle is unbreakable, it'll last when the scoop will die! :laughing7:

I have ordered a SS grip from Italy (Detector Point)
productimage-picture-manico-per-pala-4255.jpg

It's 0.225Kg (225g) made of SS, very heavy compared to the handle but I'm not going to ask for a carbon version (maybe Titanium?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet!
Excellent job on the carbon fiber handle! I have one on my scoop and love it!
Thanks for the pics!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the link to buy those customs made carbon / fiber glass (fiber glass coat is an option) for apprx $160

You can contact them using the contact form or email them directly, they speak English.

DO NOT FORGET TO MEASURE PRECISELY THE INTERNAL DIAMETER OF YOUR SCOOP, ORDER EXACTLY THE INTERNAL DIAMETER IF YOU HAVE A HEAT SHOTGUN, otherwise take -1/25' (1mm)

http://www.mateduc-composites.com/contact.html

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advise. Only thing I can say bad about carbon is it gives nasty splinters when it does break. Just watch out for that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread