CTX vs Excal Real world saltwater

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have had my ctx for a year now and the excal for about 3 months. About 700 hours on the ctx and 100 on the excal. I have to say both machine are very good machines on the beach. What "I" have noticed is depth is about the same in my conditions. The excal seems to pick up smaller items better. The excal also has stronger sounds based on the size and depth. That being said the ctx has better "what to dig" tools to determine good targets from the bad. Keep in mind gold and platinum rings can sound exactly like pull tabs and junk. This is really no different than any machine on the market. If I had to choose a single machine to use for salt water, I really think I would choose the excal. Take both machines onto land and it's a no brainier which to use though. Anyone care to provide additional feedback that has experience with these 2 machines?

Cory

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MBbeachrat brings up a good point as I think the items pursued also has to be considered. On my beaches you just never know what's likely to show up in the scoop, this coast having a very long history. I've dug quarters that ended up being very old coins of foreign make, pieces of copper that ended being old ship nails, etc., etc., etc. So even with all of the disc capabilities available today I still feel that I need to dig most everything beyond the pure iron range. If not then I would have missed some pretty good finds and clues to the presence of other things.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiny gold....with 8" coil on the Excal (and sometimes even with the 12 x 15 SEF) I can hit tiny gold earring backs, thin delicate chains, etc., if they're close to the surface. The deeper these little trinkets are the denser they have to be. But I do find them from time to time....not that they're worth the trouble, mind you. :laughing7: So I really don't worry about them in favor of those larger gold targets.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread