If you discriminate you ARE missing gold

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least with the ctx. I went through my recent finds with the excal and did air tests on the finds with the ctx. Several rings rang up dead on a pull tab, pop top and foil. Platinum rings and thin gold feminine/kids like to ring up as foil and can slaw. They sound like and visually look the same. Unless you are digging all, some will miss these finds. I realize that with limited hunting time, these will be skipped. I'm the type of hunter that will dig these numbers and pull ALL the targets so I don't have to tag them again later. I have plotted all my rings on a Conductive/Ferrous graph to show just where these finds fall.

Dig Logs :: FeCo Chart for Minelab CTX 3030

Cory

Upvote 0

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got a "penny" that turned out to be a class ring. And a "bottletop" that was a womens diamond ring. And another bottletop that was a 16 oz class ring. These were with the GT, which is essentially the same thing as an excal, with a few more bells and whistles. My take, if your using an excal...dig basically everything that is not a straight null. If its really trashy, chances are there is no gold anyway. hh an gl. -Joe

I have recovered numerous gold targets that rung up as pull tabs and or bottle caps..

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
I got a "penny" that turned out to be a class ring. And a "bottletop" that was a womens diamond ring. And another bottletop that was a 16 oz class ring. These were with the GT, which is essentially the same thing as an excal, with a few more bells and whistles. My take, if your using an excal...dig basically everything that is not a straight null. If its really trashy, chances are there is no gold anyway. hh an gl. -Joe
That's the beauty of the Sand Shark. It's deep, it beeps, you dig.

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
This brings up many questions for me as I am still pretty new at the CTX. I see that a lot of your finds come in very low on the Co graph. These are air tests with the target passing right under the coil? Do the numbers change if the ring is on edge versus flat? Do you think these are close to what they might read in real conditions? Thanks and good work!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know for a fact that 50c Euros null
Haven't found any 50c euros yet, been lucky enough to find the higher denominations....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run a simple VLF machine. I run the sens low and put the detector in high gain. The F75 actually has a JE or jewelry mode. While I admit my buddys T2 with him digging everything produces rings. I have found many rings and more coins than him. Running high gain in this JE mode has produced some really neat finds and deep too. I do admit I dont disc very high unless Im just surface scanning. The F75 has high gain below and above the Disc settings. Not to confuse everyone, but sensitivity is important. Also the VDi works very well, sometimes better than just listening to tone. I do dig trash every now and then, but I always get confused by statements like the OP's post, Its just not true with my F75. Putting the F75 in all metal with no disc just has me digging in the same spot all day, and I cant cover much ground unless I just start ignoring targets. While I would love to own a CTX, I could only afford the F75. I know there is other folks using the F75, I wonder if they do any gold ring hunting like I do and what works for them. Digging every signal I miss all the good targets that I know is there. Im not lazy, just have some bad bones so I use my hunt time wisely. I have a 15" inch cpil I put on my last hunt and covered a large park in 45 minutes. I usually take 4 hours with the 11" inch coil. I always find jewelry here. I know I clean it up good as a Fellow with a unnamed brand detector told me so when he caught up to me lol. The few people I hunt with have seen me do this. I really swear by the F75. It would be nice if it was water proof and wireless. But if it works, Im not going to fix it. The sensitivity to small gold is more important than all metal in my humble opinion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I hunt, theres just to much iron, id be breaking my back to go 10 feet. hh an gl -Joe
Your profile says your using excal, same as me. There is lots of iron on east coast beaches as well as many of the other beaches we hunt down here. You just double sweep the target and move on......

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's the beauty of the Sand Shark. It's deep, it beeps, you dig.

I dig everything. Hell its the beach, not like you have to cut through sod. The only exception is when I start digging up a lot of nails. I have learned to recognize what nails sound like on the Sand Shark.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I dig everything. Hell its the beach, not like you have to cut through sod. The only exception is when I start digging up a lot of nails. I have learned to recognize what nails sound like on the Sand Shark.

Boatloade I too dog all. I also run a sandshark. When I first started out I hit a pile of nails. My seventh nail turned out to be a buffalo nickel. My first and only buffalo found metal detecting. Because of that I dig the nails. I hate this addiction

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to have a detector that simply finds all metals, deep, and is rugged, waterproof to 200 ft, with no bells and whistles, great audio, excellent pinpointing, wireless headphones and operates simply with no fuss.

No such animal. :dontknow:

Yes, that exact detector does exist! Check out the JW Fisher 8X

Wait, the 8X has all of that EXCEPT the wireless headphones. Nobody has made that work underwater yet.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread