Under what conditions would you prefer one of the below detectors.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say you are proficient in hunting all three zones of a salt water beach (Dry Sand, Wet Sand, Shallow Water) are unbiased in which zone to detect, and equally skilled in operating each
of the below detectors: CTX 3030, modified excalibur to support different head phones and search coils. a Sovereign GT.

When/where would one of the above detectors be the better choice, and with what size/type search coil and headphone for hunting your local beach (transportation is not a problem)?

Assuming that all are charged, properly maintained, and good to go!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I have a hot unmodified Excalibur II from Ireland. I use the CTX with 17" coil all the time on wet sand. I use Excalibur in the water. With CTX I don't dig clad and can get much deeper with clear sounds and numbers. I know I will miss a school ring once in a blue moon but that's ok because in the long run I find much more good stuff. To much clad on the beaches I hunt to dig it. Would never let a wave hit the CTX because it can not take it. Seen to many CTX users get leaks. To much surface on CTX to swing submerged also? CZ 21 good for silver and in water but just don't hit small gold like CTX or Excalibur.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron: Thank you for your input(s), as you know your detectors well and are very experienced with them. I have no doubt that the ATX is a top of the line metal detector, unfortunately it was not in production when I purchased my detectors. As the waters where I hunt are rougher and I am less experienced , I seriously doubt that the extra depth of the ATX would be of benefit to me.

I am sorry that this looks like an infomercial for Mine Lab – I certainly did not intend it to be, nor a debate about PI verses Multi Frequency detectors.

However, I would like to add that Garrett is one of the few US manufacturers (only one that I know) that has and continues to support changeable coils and headsets on their beach detectors : Sea Hunter Mark ll, Infinium LS, ATX and the all terrain AT Pro. Kinda makes one wonder why the other manufacters don’t or can’t provide this capability? Further the experience that I have had with Garrett in repair of their pinpointer has been great.

Well stated Dew!
That is my position and belief.
Garrett proved that this was achievable and its added value decades ago. I am surprised that it took the boys from down under so long to provide this capability!

Regretfully, they did this on the CTX 3030 (the machine they push) , it should have been designed into a newer model of the Excalibur – one with the full capability of the Sovereign / or repackaged the Sovereign GT for shallow water detecting adding a remote mode switch, changeable coil, changeable headphones, with a long strength shaft for better balance.

Don’t get me wrong, the CTX 3030 is an extra ordinary detector with its advanced discrimination, enhanced target separation, and increased sensitivity for smaller targets such as hammies, and visual display indicator. I use one, when the conditions are right and I love it. Gee it even has a clock, so I know when it is time to nap and a GPS so I can find my way back to the car.

It’s just that its ergonomics are better for someone much younger, like a newlywed, than a nearly dead old geezer like me. Time and age permitting, I stopped buying green bananas years ago; I will post what I hate about the CTX 3030 in a later reply. I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for my no likes , nor would I delay in purchasing a CTX 3030 if I could get one at an affordable price as it has capabilities that the Excalibur does not have nor ever will have even with the latest and greatest modifications.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread