Honest and even brutal input Welcome.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start out by saying I know there is a Tool Shed forum on here but I wanted opinions from actual water hunters: I modified a Garrett hand held sand scoop by adding a handle, what I am wanting advice on is if I put a 45 degree bend in the handle about 3/4 of the way up it would improve the performance or if the straight handle is good enough and the reason I used this is because I already owned it. I also don't water hunt a lot so I couldn't justify anything more expensive. total cost about 50 dollars. 100_4569.JPG 100_4568.JPG 100_4567.JPG

Upvote 1

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks good. A bend will surely help with ergonomics. HH and GL

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just for fresh water hunting forgot to put that in original post.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bend works absolutely great for making it more comfortable to get a good angle on the initial bite of the scoop and gives you better leverage in my opinion.
That came out nice.
I think I might have added some angle to the scoop in relation to the handle but you can make up for that with the bend

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gotta love the power of positive thinking.
Something about the way I can tell this was thought out leads me to believe he could probably figure out that issue pretty quickly if he breaks it..
Maybe he could help get rid of all those pennies that crazy man throws all over the place where you hunt :-)

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a really good idea starting out with the Garrett scoop. I have one and they are definitely heavy duty. Pop rivets are stronger than you think. The first weak point could potentially be the handle. That will depend on how thick it is and what material it is. If it is conduit it will fail. If aluminum it would need to thick walled.

I like your inner McGyver and give you credit, but I would change two things. First go to a wooden handle. You could lose those rivets and use stainless screws with nuts to go through the handle and pick up both supports. Second, place the handle 20 degress back from vertical. Those minor mods and I think you will make a good scoop great.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't use it in the water !! If it was welded yes ,but with all the pop ribbits I won't trust it . The first time you catch it on a rock it will brake.

Back of the Boat, I agree with Ron. Those rivets are your weak link. See if you can find a friendly welder who will tack that up for a few bucks, and I think you will be fine for occasional use. Still, it looks great, and you have a good eye for detail, but its probably not strong enough for wet sand.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's more than just the rivets. It's a hand-held dry sand scoop. It's made from a much thinner material than a purpose built water scoop. It will last for little bit in wet sand, but will eventually fail from stress fatigue.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't use it in the water !! If it was welded yes ,but with all the pop ribbits I won't trust it . The first time you catch it on a rock it will brake.

That's what I was thinking. I checked out a local welder but he wants 75 an hour but he will do a charge by the minute just hope he doesn't milk the time.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's more than just the rivets. It's a hand-held dry sand scoop. It's made from a much thinner material than a purpose built water scoop. It will last for little bit in wet sand, but will eventually fail from stress fatigue.
I understand it is a cheap scoop but it was what I had available and since I don't water hunt but a couple times in a year it will last long enough.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a really good idea starting out with the Garrett scoop. I have one and they are definitely heavy duty. Pop rivets are stronger than you think. The first weak point could potentially be the handle. That will depend on how thick it is and what material it is. If it is conduit it will fail. If aluminum it would need to thick walled.

I like your inner McGyver and give you credit, but I would change two things. First go to a wooden handle. You could lose those rivets and use stainless screws with nuts to go through the handle and pick up both supports. Second, place the handle 20 degress back from vertical. Those minor mods and I think you will make a good scoop great.
The reason I didn't address the angle, was I was using the original rivet holes in the scoop and there was no other place to drill new holes so that was why I went with the aluminum handle so I could get it bent if needed and I am going to get the bend done. But the welding may have to wait until I can find someone a little cheaper on the per hour charge.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other Modification I was thinking was putting a bar from both side supports and under the handle to strengthen it up.I do have a friend that has a body shop that has a sheet metal brake so later on I might make a new scoop for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the help it solidified some thoughts I was mulling around in my head.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the help it solidified some thoughts I was mulling around in my head.[/QUOTE

The only modication, I would make is put a lift assist facing you near the top of the 90 degree handle.
This way, it would work just like an angled scoop without having to lean forward. Use what you have till it breaks, then buy a better scoop when you can afford with your finds.

I have done this with my 90 degree angle handle sunspot classic 8 scoop and you get the best of both worlds.
Don't have to lean forward in deep water, plus you have terrific leverage with the straight up handle when needed to pry rocks, which you definitely not do as your basket is not as strong.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the help it solidified some thoughts I was mulling around in my head.[/QUOTE

The only modication, I would make is put a lift assist facing you near the top of the 90 degree handle.
This way, it would work just like an angled scoop without having to lean forward. Use what you have till it breaks, then buy a better scoop when you can afford with your finds.

I have done this with my 90 degree angle handle sunspot classic 8 scoop and you get the best of both worlds.
Don't have to lean forward in deep water, plus you have terrific leverage with the straight up handle when needed to pry rocks, which you definitely not do as your basket is not as strong.

Thank You something else to think about.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand it is a cheap scoop but it was what I had available and since I don't water hunt but a couple times in a year it will last long enough.

I can understand that, and any scoop may be better than no scoop. Good luck with it.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
B-O-T-B, I wouldn't spend that kind of cash to get that darn thing welded. That feller will probably charge you $75 no matter what, because aluminum does require a little setup. You can buy a Reilly's Treasured Gold stainless scoop for $150, and they are practically indestructible. Just buy one of those and have it done with, and leave this one in your trunk in case you leave the RTG at home, or if a friend forgets theirs. Then when they break it, you can really have some fun teasing them! :laughing7:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one of those scoops and the only complaint is the lip bends in packed sand. However, I just straighten it out with my hands and keep going. Your mod is pretty good and better than bending over to dig the 100 bottle tops before finding that nice ring. I like an angle to the handle, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread