The Money Pit

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not talking about a house one buys which ends up costing more to repair than worth, nor a boat to throw your money into in the hope of catching something other than you, No this far more dreaded like a novel written by Edgar Allen Poe.

Beware of the deadly Money Pit: If you are like me and get sucked in, it will be under the worst of conditions most likely when exhausted at the end of a hunt, with bone chilling rain, and of course you will be using the wrong equipment near waters edge trying to beat a rising tide.

I fell into the trap on my last hunt after a rather dull North to South grid pattern – a non event would better describe this hunt as I only found a few rusty bottle caps, nails, and I don’t even want to know what else.

Instinctively, I sensed that this was different, at last I was at the right spot after detecting and retrieving a dense round non ferrous object that could of broken off a chain. Naturally, I was near where the hunt started when I heard this strange twangy sound on my earphones – like an out of tune banjo string being plucked. I didn’t even bother reading the numbers on the VDI as I mostly hunt by tone digging like one possessed by a sirens song with a small pull to me scoop resembling a left over beer stein from October fest with a long stick skewered thru it. No matter that the visual display seemed to be stuck at 7 inches deep I Sir Gala Clad (SGC) just had to dig, dig, dig then dig so more till exhausted.

Finally, I saw the light, after reaching elbow depth that the target was falling thru the large grid sifting holes of the scoop following me down. Plunging my throbbing fingers in the cool clean damp sand was a relief, which did not last long as I found the target when I swept the first handful over the search coil and kept dividing the handful to isolate the target. It was a short thin copper wire with bent tip to remove a hook from a fish’s mouth. Not a great find but good enough to end up in my tackle box.

However, it turned out to be far more than that.
What I had found was the key that opened up the money pit, whose contents will be revealed in later post(s). Until then one attaboy or attagirl to the T Net member who guess is close to what was found. As you may know one atta boy or girl overrides 100 nulls on a detector with discriminating capability and who knows what on a PI?

Even later another search of the money pit will follow at this location, somewhere is the Sandwich Islands, not Oak Island, outfitted with newer better equipment on a dark moonless night. Until then, may something good your way come, and may each hunt be better than your last.

Until then: "Beware the Money Pit Trap"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The suspense is killing me, did you find China?

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The suspense is killing me, did you find China?

More likely China White,who's imports dominated the Pacific Rim. On cleaning found that the dark round object was lead (very hard) marked #1 on both sides - most likely a sliding weight off a round balance beam off a small precision scale, rather than a pendant. Makes one wonder, what they were measuring at the beach? Hmmm!

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not talking about a house one buys which ends up costing more to repair than worth, nor a boat to throw your money into in the hope of catching something other than you, No this far more dreaded like a novel written by Edgar Allen Poe.

Beware of the deadly Money Pit: If you are like me and get sucked in, it will be under the worst of conditions most likely when exhausted at the end of a hunt, with bone chilling rain, and of course you will be using the wrong equipment near waters edge trying to beat a rising tide.

I fell into the trap on my last hunt after a rather dull North to South grid pattern – a non event would better describe this hunt as I only found a few rusty bottle caps, nails, and I don’t even want to know what else.

Instinctively, I sensed that this was different, at last I was at the right spot after detecting and retrieving a dense round non ferrous object that could of broken off a chain. Naturally, I was near where the hunt started when I heard this strange twangy sound on my earphones – like an out of tune banjo string being plucked. I didn’t even bother reading the numbers on the VDI as I mostly hunt by tone digging like one possessed by a sirens song with a small pull to me scoop resembling a left over beer stein from October fest with a long stick skewered thru it. No matter that the visual display seemed to be stuck at 7 inches deep I Sir Gala Clad (SGC) just had to dig, dig, dig then dig so more till exhausted.

Finally, I saw the light, after reaching elbow depth that the target was falling thru the large grid sifting holes of the scoop following me down. Plunging my throbbing fingers in the cool clean damp sand was a relief, which did not last long as I found the target when I swept the first handful over the search coil and kept dividing the handful to isolate the target. It was a short thin copper wire with bent tip to remove a hook from a fish’s mouth. Not a great find but good enough to end up in my tackle box.

What I had found was the key that opened up the money pit, whose contents will be revealed in later post(s). Until then one attaboy or attagirl to the T Net member who guess is close to what was found. As you may know one atta boy or girl overrides 100 nulls on a detector with discriminating capability and who knows what on a PI?

Even later another search of the money pit will follow at this location, somewhere is the Sandwich Islands, not Oak Island, outfitted with newer better equipment on a dark moonless night. Until then, may something good your way come, and may each hunt be better than your last.

You alright SGC? :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mahalo Lookindown:
Hopefully, one day I will journey to Florida on the big silver canoe in the sky and meet you and other treasure hunters in Florida whose postings and
and light humor, I have come to enjoy so much. Your sign in "lookindown" is classic in that it says it all in one word whereas it takes me three.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again my instincts were proven right:
On returning with a larger field search coil (circular 10 in DD) with an older minelab technology multifrequency detector
than the small field notched 6 in circular DD coil that I had used with then newer minelab multifrequency detector .
As expected, with the deeper detection of the larger coil, I found numerous glad coins near by the money pit (poor mans), plus a large muliloop gold colored earing, which has rusted since recovery (sigh). However, this is very encouraging as where junk jewelry is found there is bound to be the good stuff - unless found earlier by the competition.

Even though I don't smoke a corn cob pipe, I shall return with my crushed flat hat, with an even bigger coil.
Its only a matter of time, before that beach surrenders, it hidden gold. Subject to gold being under the coil, It's only a matter of time, tide, wind, time of day, etcetera, etcetera, before it will be mine.
Make it mine, oh please make it mine - Hmm I wonder if that is how mine lab came up with its name.

Now that I have rested and have had time to think about it, I now realize that I was able to detect the deeper targets which was out of detector range by sweeping my small field coil inside the small hole I had dug. As there were numerous targets close together, I kept widening and deepening this hole until I finally ran out of tones. Before the ordeal of isolating and retrieving these targets was over I recovered one James Madison dollar coin, four clad quarters, ten clad dimes, five nickels and 18 copper clad pennies. Which is not bad for such a small area. The trap was the time lost retrieving low value targets, but the indicators for finding older deeper jewelry (gold, platinum, silver) was too good to pass up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread