Ancient Coin Found

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going through my finds for this year and this Ancient coin puzzles me.
I was in a local fresh water lake when I found this one.

Here is a picture of this old coin I found in the lake this season. Most coins come out of the lake all black and grungy or the copper is corroded away and old pennies are paper thin. What you see on this coin is how it came out of the water. I was like Woo-Hoo a gold coin. After looking at it closer I am thinking Bronze maybe.
It rings like quality metal when you drop it on the table not like today’s junk coins.
It looks primitive made but not cast. It is the same on both sides. Other side a little better. Larger than a Quarter about the size of the Susan B dollar.
There are some stories of Ancient peoples living in Wisconsin and upper Michigan. Then there was the Copper culture people that mined and used copper tools here. Not much on coinage that I know of. I have heard of blank coins found at some old digs.
If any one would know any history of this coin I would appreciate it.

SOLO5-2cs.jpg

Attachments

• 5-SOLO-C.jpg
    5-SOLO-C.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number is clearly Indo-Arabic which corresponds to our modern number system. This pretty much rules out the possibility of it being of Pre-Columbian Native American origin...even if you posit there were coins minted in Pre-Columbian America (highly doubtful).

If you believe the coin is of Old World origin, your next step is simply to go through the catalogs of ancient coins and see if you can find a match. The number on the coin means you can probably safely skip any coins older than around 500 CE.

Thanks for your input and the search will continue. I was hoping some of the water hunters would chime in.
I wanted a picture of this piece out there so someone doing research my find it some day. Put 2 + 2 together.
I think allot of the oddities in coins that I recover out of the lakes are recent {Make a Wish Tosses} into the beautiful lakes we have around here. Someones lucky Piece.
I recovered a fantastic 500 REIS Silver Portuguese coin at a heavily used tourist spot.
I also recover primitive items to boot. I have this super old iron ax head that looks like a tomahawk throwing ax.

An old friend PMed me a picture of this 1795 French 1 Sol coin. the quality of minting is close.

1795_luxembourg_siege_1_sol_coin_france_revolutionary_war_coin_1_lgw.jpg

PS the Front and Back are the same.
I have a hard time taking pictures. I tried 10 times to get 1 decient shot

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never water hunt for old items...guess I'm no help. Lol.. IT SAYS SOLO NOT SOL.....
Geeze

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saying... Some of us might know a thing or two about water hunting and old things.
Your token is an alloy ..probably copper and nickel.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said the back is the same as the front

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumpstick just email a museum or someone who deals with coins I have alot of contacts but no coin guys if it is something you will get a response

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious if you ever got a definitive answer on this item? Coin or token? And on age? Great find!

OP
OP
Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help with identifying it here.
I will take it in to the numismatic convention.
I tossed it in with all the gold rings I have found.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help with identifying it here. I will take it in to the numismatic convention. I tossed it in with all the gold rings I have found.
Please let us know what you find out, I always like finality to a good find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread