Islands in the Chesapeake

haybudden2

Apr 2, 2009
gulf coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, CZ-7, CZ-20, F-5
There are several somewhat remote Island in the lower Chesapeake bay that have
interesting stories and history.
Does anyone have any experience hunting on or around any of these islands?
I would appreciate any stories or incite about searching in that area.

Thanks, Haybudden2

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no, however mitchner's book drew me in

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few guys on here have had their best finds on out of the place remote spots.So I would say go for it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is so much treasure in the bay it would take several lifetimes to find and this is mostly modern treasure, heaven only knows what is buried from the pirates of past, if anything at all.

Here is a interesting story of 3 who found out some places are off limits in the Bay...1995

Treasure Hunting Maryland | Md. charges 3 in excavation of South River treasures - Baltimore Sun

Interesting:

Under the law, I am an artifact as I am more than fifty years old.
I live on an Island, on an Island since I am surrounded on all sides by roads.
The nearest inhabitants/neighbors live on the other side of the road (s).
Further, from the debrie: sea shells, sand, rocks, etc if is obvious that my island had been underwater, before the surrounding elevation was raised with earthfill to keep the waters back.

Does this mean I can sue the State of Hawaii and Federal Government who have enter my property and stolen from me????
Please note my property was posted No Trespassing, plus Kapu (forbidden, taboo, keep out)!

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is so much treasure in the bay it would take several lifetimes to find and this is mostly modern treasure, heaven only knows what is buried from the pirates of past, if anything at all.

Here is a interesting story of 3 who found out some places are off limits in the Bay...1995

Treasure Hunting Maryland | Md. charges 3 in excavation of South River treasures - Baltimore Sun
Article says its illegal to dig historic artifacts...what is considered historic under that law?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't quota me on this but in Maryland I believe anything over 100 years old. The one good thing there are less then maybe 4 hunters in the Bay that hunt the old beach sites now due to the fact years ago all of the land was sold, there for now the only way to access these places is by boat only, or maybe walking a mile in the water to get to the location from a distant point. So the less seen, the more I can hunt without issues.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't quota me on this but in Maryland I believe anything over 100 years old. The one good thing there are less then maybe 4 hunters in the Bay that hunt the old beach sites now due to the fact years ago all of the land was sold, there for now the only way to access these places is by boat only, or maybe walking a mile in the water to get to the location from a distant point. So the less seen, the more I can hunt without issues.
Thanks OBN...I think its 50 years old here in Florida.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread