All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either one. WOT is a little heaver but also has a little bigger foot print. Some people complain WOT is heavy but for me it has never been an issue, but I always hunt with a harness.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Either one. WOT is a little heaver but also has a little bigger foot print. Some people complain WOT is heavy but for me it has never been an issue, but I always hunt with a harness.

TH,
I've heard that numerous times before about the WOT's weight but when I removed the stock excal 1000 (blue) coil and compared them, I found the stock coil was a lot heavier then the WOT. Does this seam accurate to you? Mine is also well balanced and almost feels like no coil at all. I was confused about this one so I sent an email to coiltek and described the scrim and plastic in the wiring insulation due to fear of a counterfeit coil but they responded based on the description that it seamed authentic and that they haven't heard of the WOT being counterfeited.

image-431634705.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-2641553135.jpg
    image-2641553135.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 103

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost for me it has never been an issue, I never weighed either coil. Maybe they are mistaking the balance difference for weight as the WOT being 50% larger does change the balance feel...

I have never heard of a counterfeit WOT either.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Not sure about the SEF. But I do have a comment on the Excal/Wot combo: It is VERY "fishy" to get used to. Very ... uh ... "warbly",for lack of a better description. Hard to pinpoint, etc... And oddly, I'm not sure I was even getting more depth. Extra coverage: yes, but I probably didn't give it enough time and comparisons to confirm that depth was increased. For sure those that use the Sov/Wot combo are getting more depth. So in theory, since the Sov and Excal are supposed to be the same thing, then the same rule-of-thumb should hold true.

I took mine back apart, and returned the stock 10" coil, because it was just too fishy/warbly for my ears to get used to.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom just needed to give it more time. I know I get more depth on mine, I use WOTs on my sov gt and on one of my excals.... I have no problem pinpointing with it and although I'm primarily a water hunter I have hunted parks with WOT and Sov gt without any issues, in parks I also use pinpointers but I also have no problem pinpointing using the toe or heel of coil method...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both and prefer the SEF, seems a bit more sensitive, runs a bit smoother, and really easy to pin-point with.
If you run either of them very hot you just have to account for it when pin-pointing.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am installing the 10X12" SEF on my Excal II in the next few weeks. I used it one night on my GT and loved it. I will let you know how it works out!

OP
OP
Hag730

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info everyone.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 10X12 is a great coil, but i think it feels heavy where the WOT feels unbalanced..... much like extending your shaft, you notice the balance difference. You may have to turn the sensitivity down on the WOT over the SEF as well....so the depth advantage goes away. Hot coils give off big HALOs.... making PPing.... or just knowing where that target is on the WOT coil a bit more difficult than the SEF.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem here DEW with the balance or weight, been hunting with both WOT and SEF 10x12 for over 5 years now. I alternate between detectors when I hunt, one time WOT, next time the SEF.

Are you using straight shaft, what about a bungee harness? I have no problem pinpointing either, I usually use the toe or heel method.

I set my sensitivity so it is stable, then bump just a hair hotter. I consistently find targets well over 15 inches..... I'm use the reverse discrimination mod so most times hunting in all metal then switching to descriminate to check target.

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the SEF 12x15 and would never go back to anything smaller. It does take a little getting use to but the depth and coverage area is superior. I have the 15" WOT as well but seem to like the SEF better.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a harness has spoiled me....I also use it with my smaller coils now, even the 8". :laughing7: But I will say this...."No weight at all....ever!" I can't imagine hunting without one now on my Excal....darn thing feels like it weighs 100lbs without the harness and that's with the long shaft!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL yep, it just makes it so much more enjoyable..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guilty as charged.....

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I tried hunting without mine the other day. Basically, it got to the point where id just stop, and rest the coil on the ground for a few seconds. Between that, the cold, and no signals, I called it an early day. lol.

You do realize that I'm blaming you for my harness addiction. :laughing7:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I have a SEF 12x15 Butterfly on my Excal 1000 and I love it. It is easy to pinpoint and goes deeper than the stock 10 inch on my Excal II.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now to go along with that....... are you guys using the larger coils in Disc or PP mode? I used the SEF on the explorer for many years.... best thing since peanut butter. BS you are spot on ....... especially when running high sensitivity it gets a bit tricky to PP near targets. But just wiggle it to the front of the coil. Never took mine off. Also.... if the Sov and Xcal are basically the same let me say ive tested the 13" and you have to put the scoop behind you or it picks it up where as the 10 wont..... so you have a lot of coil HALO. Hit the water line it kind of changed..... 10 was almost as deep because you had to reduce the sensitivity. Is it the same with these coils?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now to go along with that....... are you guys using the larger coils in Disc or PP mode? I used the SEF on the explorer for many years.... best thing since peanut butter. BS you are spot on ....... especially when running high sensitivity it gets a bit tricky to PP near targets. But just wiggle it to the front of the coil. Never took mine off. Also.... if the Sov and Xcal are basically the same let me say ive tested the 13" and you have to put the scoop behind you or it picks it up where as the 10 wont..... so you have a lot of coil HALO. Hit the water line it kind of changed..... 10 was almost as deep because you had to reduce the sensitivity. Is it the same with these coils?

Dew the SEF you used on explorer, was it the round one or the new butterfly shaped? The butterfly is far better than the original round one I use to use on my Son GT.

I don't have the Halo problem you speak of with my scoop, There is a halo but nothing to the point that I have to put scoop behind me. Mine is maybe a foot beyond coil....

I hunt in pp and switch to disc when I find a target to see if it is iron, if no sound on disc I continue digging till I get a disc tone or a null.....

For me pinpointing is a breeze...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread