Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Pretty exciting week for me. Still working that beach pocket. Pretty darn stingy now.

But.. I discovered a new one...far enough away that I consider it new. It was small but loaded with quarters and dimes. About 10 foot by 8 foot area. My scoops were intersecting each other. Really a wild time.

That general area has some specific properties that make pockets frequent and it's one place I always check first. Usually the pockets are at low tide level but this particular one was much higher up on the slope. First time I've seen it so high.

Well with all the coins I knew something better would be there...and it was! About 7" deep a nice shiny religious medallion that was obviously Gold. Checked the diamonds and they are not real...still.... It weighs in at 7.5 grams and is marked 14K.

Oh yeah..with my trusty Dual Field...I Love that machine!

PS: Just ordered a spare Dual Field ...I am so happy!

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Gold Pendant!! Congratulations!!:occasion14:

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great hunt, congrats on the gold...very nice!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. It is interesting about your pockets. Is there a trick or method to find them that you can share?

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Cool Pendant! Guadalupe

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. It is interesting about your pockets. Is there a trick or method to find them that you can share?

I suspect that such pockets are not uncommon and can be found at beaches all over the world.
The one that I wrote about, in a thread " The Money Pit" describes a smaller pocket that was approximately 4 ft circular.
It most likely would of been longer, if it were not for a barrier of rocks before the parking lot.

Most likely, they are a subclass of a target line where targets are sifted according to their density between the low and high tide lines.
As You would have to be able to view and understand the effects of the the contour of the ocean bottom at the time they are formed. you are
pretty much stuck with searching in an S pattern between high and low tide. till you are able to find a target line / target pocket.
Upon detecting a discolored quarter, or an old sinker, you should slow down and pound the area in what pattern which works best for you as those targets
indicate that the bottom can stop dense targets and may not of been heavily detected.

You can also find theese higher up on the beach under dry sand.
Most likely they were formed under storm conditions/where waves were more powerful creating the sifting action above the normal high tide line.
Surf Digger has excellent videos on this topic.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That pendant is beautiful!

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I suspect that such pockets are not uncommon and can be found at beaches all over the world.
The one that I wrote about, in a thread " The Money Pit" describes a smaller pocket that was approximately 4 ft circular.
It most likely would of been longer, if it were not for a barrier of rocks before the parking lot.

Most likely, they are a subclass of a target line where targets are sifted according to their density between the low and high tide lines.
As You would have to be able to view and understand the effects of the the contour of the ocean bottom at the time they are formed. you are
pretty much stuck with searching in an S pattern between high and low tide. till you are able to find a target line / target pocket.
Upon detecting a discolored quarter, or an old sinker, you should slow down and pound the area in what pattern which works best for you as those targets
indicate that the bottom can stop dense targets and may not of been heavily detected.

You can also find theese higher up on the beach under dry sand.
Most likely they were formed under storm conditions/where waves were more powerful creating the sifting action above the normal high tide line.
Surf Digger has excellent videos on this topic.

I looked for Surf Digger's videos on the subject of "pockets" and did not find any posts by "Surf Digger'. Is he posting on another forum perhaps. I would be interested in seeing what a "Pocket" looks like. I have found lots of tidal pools and pockets that were empty. Perhaps I am missing something.....

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I used the term "pocket" to designate an area of concentration and it's not necessarily obvious on the surface itself. In fact my recent pockets were on the slope of wet sand and nothing to show that it hid a "pocket". These are not the type of pockets where surface features alert you to them.

This particular beach has been hit by at least 3 major storms this year and has lost a lot of sand. I suspect these pockets originated in the blanket line accumulations which kept sinking. So currently each peak high/low tide washing reveals them (to detection by metal detectors). I've re-visited the beach quite a few times between the last tide cycles and I've done amazingly well. Gold 3 out of my last 4 outings...to be posted on here soon. Opps..well actually 3 out of 3...the 4th was a different beach where I got 6 cents.

Every beach has some small idiosyncrasies unique to their location caused by the terrain and rock walls and that sort of thing. It's important to know your beach.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked for Surf Digger's videos on the subject of "pockets" and did not find any posts by "Surf Digger'. Is he posting on another forum perhaps. I would be interested in seeing what a "Pocket" looks like. I have found lots of tidal pools and pockets that were empty. Perhaps I am missing something.....

I was referring to Surf Diggers videos on finding and retrieving targets from target lines usually referred to as coin lines.
Basically, I believe pockets are a very small coin line as a result of an obstruction such as a barrier or a result where waves have more power than usual such as where two wave collide resulting in their going higher on the beach or with more power as they reinforce each other.

What Dr Joe Prime calls pockets, I call pits his excellent explanation put the source as blanket line accumulations.
I believe that they can come from the sea (deposited), having been struck on my legs by coins in wave surges while detecting as well as washed down from the land above.

Surfer Diggers Videos, often focus on looking for shallow depressions in the wet sand between high and low sand, or larger objects on the beach as places to search first.

Further additional targets are often the result of lowering the detection depth thru excavation.
as a result of digging, and searching inside the dug hole, as deeper targets become within detection range.

To quote Dr Joe Prime: "Every beach has some small idiosyncrasies unique to their location caused by the terrain and rock walls and that sort of thing. It's important to know your beach."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread